Advice on buying a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mercury

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve just bought a G9 with the Canon housing and this is my first u/w camera, so needles to say I know little about u/w photography and the more I read the more confused I get. . All I know is that a strobe is a must. So I found a secondhand DS51 which is the only one I can afford at the moment. Before I buy it I would like to know to what extend it will work with the G9. The Ikelite site says that the EV controller not only triggers the strobe with the slave unit but also quenches it. Does this mean that it has TTL capabilities? In simple layman terms is it a point and shoot situation if I turn the switch to TTL mode? (Do I turn the switch to TTL mode in the first place?)
Finally although I know what the GN number of the strobe is, (to make it as simple as it can get) can someone tell me, say, having 200ASA , having the lens at its widest, at a depth of 25m, with visibility of 10m, will I be able to take a descent photo of my buddy 2m or 3m away from the camera?
Thanks.

Ikelite DS51 TTL Will only work with Ikelite Housings. You will have to use a slave to make the flash work. Takes alittle time getting use too.

TTL means through the lens metering. Unless you have a direct wired connection from the strobe, through the housing case and into the camera, you do not have TTL. The quenching mentioned with the DS51 strobe is achieved through a controller which varies the strobe output level. You take a picture, check your exposure, then adjust as necessary. The literature mentioned six positions for adjustment of the strobe output.

Here's a strobe comparison chart:

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

Here's a strobe positioning chart (courtesy of Bobof):

http://www.kelpfish.net/strobe.swf

Ikelite DS51 TTL Will only work with Ikelite Housings. You will have to use a slave to make the flash work. Takes alittle time getting use too.

Wired, yes you are correct but my understanding is that with the EV controller you can use it with any housing. The EV controller is just a slave controller that triggers the strobe to mimick the camera's flash.

Mercury,

If your interested I have two strobes for sale. You will find them both in Gerts comparison chart. One Sea and Sea YS 90 Auto and one YS90 TTL Duo. They are both TTL. $650.00 for both of them. That's a great buy.

Bruce

When you say mimick what do you mean? That the strobe illuminates the subject proportionally to the camera's flash light up. (The flash lights a little or a lot, then the strobe will light a little or a lot accordingly)

Mercury,

If your interested I have two strobes for sale. You will find them both in Gerts comparison chart. One Sea and Sea YS 90 Auto and one YS90 TTL Duo. They are both TTL. $650.00 for both of them. That's a great buy.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce it is really a good price but I am situated in Greece. If I buy it I will have to imported which means I have to pay import duty which is quit a lot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom