Advice on best P&S camera for Macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's many places like that out there..they offer camera significantly below B&H' photo's price.

just do a google search for nikon d300, looks at the 2nd and 3rd page of sponsor ads...

Of course, you can never buy a camera at those prices, markups on camera are very thin.

best case, you don't get the camera, and you eventually get your money back.

Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping will sometimes have info on these shady places that operate in the grey-areas of the law.

Scott

(I'm sorry, I wasn't sure if it was ok to name specific companies.) It was Camera Giants. Beware!!!

I looked them up on Better Business Bureau, too, and they have had over 30 complaints in the last year and have never responded to a one of them! Although, because there were no complaints before the last year, I assume that they were new or had changed names from another sketchy company... Anyway, all of the complaints are nearly identical!

Re: alcina's housing comment:
My last u/w housing was also by Canon and even though it was handled quite roughly including the occasional drop, the housing outlived the camera! But I agree, everyone's experience is different.

I ordered my Canon G10 and housing from Amazon yesterday!

When you look up this company you will find that they have operated under multiple names. You can tell its the same company because the complaints are all the same. Here is what one person found out: "As it turns out, Camera Giants is operated by 86th Street Photo. I googled some of the language on their site and found the exact language on the websites of 86th Street Photo and 1wayphoto."

I have also seen references to other sites that are obviously the same company.

Regards,

Bill

The older Olympus SP350 still has the closest and easiest supermacro as it allows full TTL on manual control. With the Canon, you have to use the aperture priority for TTL which limits your ability to make really deep black backgrounds with macro. Also, the large port required for the long Zoom makes it impossible to actually focus to its closest distance as it is inside the port with some housings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom