Advice on best P&S camera for Macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ava

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What would you say is the best point and shoot digital camera for macro shots?

On a recent dive holiday, I rented an Olympus and was surprised with the quality of the shots I got! (I forgot the model number and am waiting to hear from the dive shop...) And I didn't use a strobe! My old canon powershot never took photos this good...

Before I look into buying one like what I rented, I thought I'd see if there are any other recommendations for cameras with better than average macro settings.

Thanks!

Hi ava, I don't think there is "one" camera that is best for macro shots. I think you need to settle on a camera that will fit into your price range. You will find a diversity of opinions of what is the "best" camera. The best cameras are probably DSLRs; however, they are expensive and when you include the price of the housing and strobes, you are talking several thousands of dollars. Most point and shoot cameras come with a macro mode that allows you to get as close as 1 cm to take your picture. The best macro shots are taken by cameras that have a macro lens attached to the camera. Those lenses can cost several hundered dollars.

That said, I use the Sea&Sea DX-1g (the new DX-2G is coming out soon) and it takes great pictures. It also has a macro mode that allows me to get close but does not allow the kind of macro pics you will see on this board. I recently bought a macro lens that I will use for the first time next month and hope to get some very good pics. Others on this board would recommend the Cannon G9 or G10 and it does take great pictures as well. The cameras I have mentioned will run about $1000 with the housing and no strobes.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I was looking for suggestions I might not have yet investigated... I was kind of looking for people to tell me their camera is the best and why...

But, I went with a Canon G10 which I found for a steal online. The downside came with the required confirmation call which included an intense sales pitch to purchase accessories. When I continued to decline, I was informed that it would be shipped in 2 weeks... The message was pretty clear that it would leave the warehouse sooner if I paid $149 for their battery!

I think I know what company you are talking about. You order and then you get an email stating that someone needs to talk to you and when you call they pressure you to get expensive add-ons. If you don't bite they delay shipping and eventually say the item is back ordered. This is a classic bait and switch company. My advice is cancel the order and shop at a reputable business like B&H Photo or Adorama.

Just my thoughts.

Bill

One other thought, if you google the name of the company, you will find hundreds of people that had the same experience.

Regards,

Bill

That's exactly what happened! I googled them and sure enough, all complaints. Then, I called back today to see what they would say first and sure enough, backordered 6-8 weeks! I cancelled the order and the guy was a complete jerk. My naivety is really showing; this was a new one for me! (I'll order the G10 from elsewhere this week.)

Thanks, Bill! I would have just waited a few more weeks before calling and checking on it!

You'd think someone would have been able to shut the company down by now...

What would you say is the best point and shoot digital camera for macro shots?

On a recent dive holiday, I rented an Olympus and was surprised with the quality of the shots I got! (I forgot the model number and am waiting to hear from the dive shop...) And I didn't use a strobe! My old canon powershot never took photos this good...

Before I look into buying one like what I rented, I thought I'd see if there are any other recommendations for cameras with better than average macro settings.

Thanks!

I've had great macro experiences with a number of different cameras ... Fuji F10 (since replaced by several more recent models), Olympus SP350 (gives you a lot more options than most point-n-shoot cameras), Casio Exilim Z-1000 (ultra simple, very compact, and great for really close-in shots), and Canon A620 (good general-purpose camera, but not quite up to the quality output I got with some of the other cameras).

I currently own a Canon G10, which is a higher-quality camera than any of the above.

Housings ... I really like the Fuji housings as they're pretty bullet-proof, and the only one I've owned that comes with a dual o-ring seal. I had some issues with a sticking shutter button on the Olympus housing ... at which point I found out how poor Olympus customer service can be. It was a frustration that eventually led me to sell the camera (and toss the housing) even though I was otherwise satisfied with the product. The Casio turned out to be a workhorse ... both camera and housing. I had this one longer than any of the others, and took over 10,000 underwater shots with this setup. It held up very well, and remains my "backup" camera. The Canon didn't last so long. The housing developed sticky buttons that, it turns out, are due to the fact that the housing "warps" over time and they get out of alignment ... so applying silicone grease isn't going fix the problem. Something about the quality of Canon housings worries me ... I've known more people flood Canon housings than all other models combined. I don't pretend to know why ... only that of the people I know who have owned them, far too many have had issues.

My recommendation for someone looking for a small, simple, inexpensive camera and housing would be to look at Fuji and Casio ... from my own experiences, those were the two models that gave me the best use. And both will give you very nice results.

The caveat is this ... they are both outstanding at macro ... but that's about all that they're good at. For wide-angle stuff, you really do want a higher-end camera and at least one strobe.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Canon didn't last so long. The housing developed sticky buttons that, it turns out, are due to the fact that the housing "warps" over time and they get out of alignment ... so applying silicone grease isn't going fix the problem. Something about the quality of Canon housings worries me ... I've known more people flood Canon housings than all other models combined. I don't pretend to know why ... only that of the people I know who have owned them, far too many have had issues

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just on this issue, I still have my Canon housing for the old A20...has to be about, what, 5 years old now at least (I bought it new)? It's still going strong. I also never had a problem with any of my Olympus housings.

I have never seen a Canon housing warp, have never had an issue with sticky buttons and they are the least flooded housing I see come through, despite being the most common housing on our boats.

My point? Only that everyone's experience is different and that there is no one answer. Every piece of equipment can have problems. Every manufacturer can have a glitch in the system. It happens.

I have no hesitation at all in suggesting Canon housings or compact cameras. I have them, I use them, I see them every day and they outrun the competition by a huge margin. In MY experience.

Not sure that helps but just wanted to let you know that it's not all doom and gloom if you choose to go this route LOL

what was the name of that company again?

what was the name of that company again?

yes please spit it out......a few here want to know & have no idea who they are talking about.....send me a PM & I'll spit it out.lol

Back
Top Bottom