Advice on an NYC Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianOrange

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals --

Not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question ... but I am currently looking into a few dive shops here in New York City to begin my Open Water certification process. I am looking at Adventure Scuba and Pan Aqua as the shops where I would start my pool classes and would love any feedback on these places. If anyone got certified there, anyone who knows the owner, any insights, etc, etc.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Brian

Hi Brian,

I got certified at Panaqua with Peter M as my instructor. I think Peter does a fine class and takes his time with students. I would suggest taking the "long version", where you do the course over a few weeks rather than trying to cram it all into a weekend.

Where were you going to do your certification dives? I'm asking, 'cause I did my checkout dives on vacation in St. Croix and had a great time. The local cert dives are usually at Dutch Springs in PA, and due to transportation logistics, the time Panaqua has to spend there is sometimes a tad short.

I'm guessing other local shops have similar limitations.

Another option might be one of the semi-local independent instructors that frequent ScubaBoard. Some of them tend to spend more time with students getting important basics such as trim and buoyancy down before letting you loose on your own. Time well spent!

Henrik

Hey guys and gals --

Not sure if this is the right spot to ask this question ... but I am currently looking into a few dive shops here in New York City to begin my Open Water certification process. I am looking at Adventure Scuba and Pan Aqua as the shops where I would start my pool classes and would love any feedback on these places. If anyone got certified there, anyone who knows the owner, any insights, etc, etc.

Any help/advice is appreciated!

Brian

I am a local instructor in the lower Westchester area..I teach out of a LDS in Yonkers that has its own indoor heated pool,which is a major advantage to both the instructor and students.Policy at the store is you take classes there and purchase gear there ,you can use the pool at no cost when you feel you need to brush up on skills after you are certified.
If you wish to take a group class thru the LDS I have a class with space in it starting on July 21,runs Tuesdays/Thursdays for 3 weeks..I would have you start sooner,but my weekend class starts on July 10th and is full already. If interested I can call you if an opening pops up.I can also arrange a private class with you for not much more than a group cost, thru myself,at any schedule you desire,pm me for cost.
I know Peter at Pan Aqua,he is a fine instructor/course director but and he is no longer teaching in NYC to my knowledge.He has his own facility in CT now.

We may not be referring to the same Peter? I spoke to Peter Miklatek (sp?) at Panaqua just a few weeks ago - so unless something has changed since then ...?

Henrik

Hi Brian,

I got certified at Panaqua with Peter M as my instructor. I think Peter does a fine class and takes his time with students. I would suggest taking the "long version", where you do the course over a few weeks rather than trying to cram it all into a weekend.

Where were you going to do your certification dives? I'm asking, 'cause I did my checkout dives on vacation in St. Croix and had a great time. The local cert dives are usually at Dutch Springs in PA, and due to transportation logistics, the time Panaqua has to spend there is sometimes a tad short.

I'm guessing other local shops have similar limitations.

Another option might be one of the semi-local independent instructors that frequent ScubaBoard. Some of them tend to spend more time with students getting important basics such as trim and buoyancy down before letting you loose on your own. Time well spent!

Henrik

Henrik -

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning to Pan Aqua since their pool is right by my apartment and I liked their shop. Plus a few people (yourself included) have said they got their c-cards through them. I'd probably do E-Learning and then their their Mid-Week Intensive course.

As far as checkout dives, I'm looking at the Keys or Ft. Lauderdale. The Keys are ideal but I'd have to get a hotel room, probably rent a car, etc. In Ft. Lauderdale we have a place to stay. Trying to get the Open Water dives in before September as I am busy every weekend with work from September through March!

I wouldn't worry too much about Key West if you have free lodging in Ft. Lauderdale. Haven't been myself, but I seem to recall that the diving around Ft. Lauderdale is supposed to be great. Check the Florida Conch Divers forum for more info:

Florida Conch Divers - ScubaBoard

Henrik

I wouldn't worry too much about Key West if you have free lodging in Ft. Lauderdale. Haven't been myself, but I seem to recall that the diving around Ft. Lauderdale is supposed to be great. Check the Florida Conch Divers forum for more info:

Florida Conch Divers - ScubaBoard

Henrik

And you can dive for free off the beach in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea.

I signed up for PADI eLearning through Adventure SCUBA back in November but for one reason or another, I didn't complete the online course until this week. I'm planning to do the two four-hour pool sessions with Adventure this week (same motivation...the pool they use at Asphalt Green is just a few blocks from my apartment).

I've read it's better to do the longer courses but I travel for a living and would find it next to impossible to attend three weeks of consecutive Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I'll try to remember to post back here with some feedback.

Tipsy

Just got my referral from Adventure SCUBA. I did the two-session "group" program, but I was the only student...so it was one-on-one, which was nice.

The only thing I didn't really like is that I have no study material to use for future reference. I paid $120 for the eLearning course but in a few months, I will no longer have access to that online.

The two pool dives were $300 and I was charged $47 for a logbook, dive table and a seventy-five cent blue plastic envelope. I would think a logbook and a little plastic dive table would be included in the $300 course fee...or at least give me a textbook so I have something to reference in the future.

Other than that, things went well and I'm looking forward to finishing up the certification someplace warm and tropical :)

Tipsy

Tipsy,

I did my classroom and pool work with Adventure Scuba in 2007, paid for a one-on-one instructor and did my referral dives in Bora Bora. I think I paid Adventure Scuba...wanna say $450 or $475 (but don't hold me to that amount as senility is setting in) for the classroom, textbook, logbook, DVD, dive table and pool sessions. Purchasing my gear was an additional cost.

If you have free lodging in Ft. Lauderdale, you may want to consider doing your referral dive with Kevin from Underwater Explorers out of Boynton Beach, his SB username is scubakevdm. I dove with his operation and boat earlier this year and he's top notch.

ScubaBoard - View Profile: Scubakevdm

Back
Top Bottom