Advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dantfarley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for an OMS 60lb wing with backplate and harness. Taking my intro to tech course this January and would like to hear what others have to offer on if this is a wise decision for a set up.

Thanks to all of you who reply

What tanks are you going to be using? 60 lbs is a lot of lift, and may be more than you need. I use a 45 lb wing with double 85s and a 40; with an 80 as well, it's pretty marginal. In Florida, with big steels and stages, I did use a 60 lb wing.

I will be in FL. diving the springs and want to make sure I am getting the best possible rig to get me through my continuing tec education and training.
I will be diving HP steel 100's with AL 80's as Stage bottles in my future training
I feel double blatter is important, but will also be carrying a lift bag as well for redudancy

I was recommended a 65 lbs lift bladder for my set of doubles Faber 2 X 117 HP tanks keeping in mind that at some point I would be doing my AN/DP course which would require the slinging of a 40 cft O2 stage plus an 80 cft EAN stage. At the time, I did not elect to go for a dual bladder system as I dove a year with my set before taking the subject course. When I did take the course, my instructor and I discussed other equipment requirements such as reel and 50 lbs lift bag. He also went to great length to discuss the pros and cons of using solely a drysuit for redundancy especially while carrying such a load as well as using the 50lbs lift bag for such purpose. I finally opted to add a second wing to my set-up ...an OMS 45lbs and installed it in such a way to end up with one inflator on each shoulder.

Wings are tank set up specific. This is the one place where more is not better. If you have a wing that is to big it may taco, and it will definately create more drag. The more equipment you add your fins and motor stay the same so drag is a big concern.
I would relax for intro to tech and enjoy the experiance. When you get to an/dp your instructor can/will guide you on gear configuration and choices. The trick is to not make purchases twice because your an/dp instructor does not like your rig
Eric

Greetings dantfarley I would be careful with the size of the wing and actually try several before you purchase one.
I tried a DR Classic, DR Rec wing on my HP 100's and stuck with the Rec wing as it was a lot cleaner and worded well with a 02 bottle / Al 80 stage.
I would consult my instructor and seek out his advice and or try several as suggested.

BEWARE THE DOUBLE BLADDER! Unless you are diving wet all the time do not waste your cash!
They are more bulky, create another hose / failure point, make more drag,etc.
Almost everyone I have witnessed buying them has regretted it and ended up buying another single bladder wing.
If you are diving dry and carrying a lift bag you are well with in your requirements.
If you find you are not move into the bigger more lift wing.

If you diving the springs a dry suit is not a requirement but makes the 70º water so much nicer for longer dives.
Be very deliberate when asking your instructor what you should be looking at for the dive goals you wish to accomplish.
OMS makes great stuff and a lot others do as well just do your research as there are a ton of BM stuff used out there that is in great condition.
Lots of divers getting into SM and selling their BM rigs.

Guys like myself just keep buying more, Why?
I can not help myself!
It is getting stupid crazy and my wife is putting her foot down.

Best advice get your gear TRAIN HARD, move with purpose and progression, master skill sets, gain experience, go not keep track of how much $$$$$ you spend, JUST DO IT.....DIVE!
See where it takes you.
You might be writing a post on SB one day and think back to when you first put a set of tanks on.
Best day ever but most expensive thing I ever did!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom