Advice needed - PLEASE HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njclifford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy all,

have posted something similar a while back, but am now looking at purchasing over the next few days.... current gear is 15 yo and am about to splurge on some new kit.

And tossing up between BP/wing and normal BCD jacket system..... am looking at getting into Tec eventually, and thought if I am getting new gear, why not go the BP way??? One thing I thought - in all the time I have been on charters, have only EVER seen a BP/wing setup on 2 (out of hunderds) occasions.... what are peoples thoughts on this comment?

Another thing.... I am told that the main disadvantage of a BP/wing is that it will normally orientated you face down on the surface, and hence will ALWAYS have to snorkel to the boat.... my take is, if you are good, should always surface at the boat!!! hehehee..... and plus, am buying the gear for comfort UNDER the water!!!

Onto gear....

Regs - I was orignally thinking all out, XTX200 / XTX50 combo, but in doing more research, am looking at 2 x XTX50 with a DS4 first stage...... any thoughts on this? WOuld then let me expanded when / if moving to twins. Are the XTX50 sufficient?

Hoses - looking into the future, would think of the bugee cord setup... but have only ever seen this 2x in my diving history..... is it acceptable to use this setup with the 7" hose on normal commerical dive charters?

Harness - originally I was looking at the DR Transplate.... but now am thinking of a hog setup - although I have never seen someone diving in this gear, I like the simplicity..... but would I look REALLY out of place in Cairns on a recreational dive boat?

Wing - was originally think of a dual purpose, but have decided to get a smaller wing for the moment - maybe 30ln lift?

Computer - was thinking Vytec DS.... but have been steered towards a Cobra 3 (console).... thoughts??? Have been advised AGAINST the wireless setup.

With this in mind, what are peoples thoughts on my ideas? If I DO mainly recreational diving, will I look a bit of an 'overkill' (with more basic gear!!!) idiot in a hog setup?

And the last thing.... if looking at a basic hog setup with a stainless bp and small wing.... Oxycheq, Halycon, DiveRite, OMS, DSS.... which should I go for???

THANKS

Nick.

Hi Nick. I can address a couple of your issues. About the "BP/W pushing you face down at the surface" thing, I think a lot if not most of the BP/W users here will tell you that this is simply not the case. It's never been for me, and I never carry a snorkel except when working with students. For long surface swims I swim on my back, my BP/W floats me just like a raft.

I would not worry about your rig being "different." I've never had anyone question mine (except out of simply curiosity) even when I was the only one with a hog rig on a charter. Anyway they are not uncommon where I do most of my routine diving off NC.

Your idea with going with a smaller wing for now is a good one, I think. If you're going to get into tech diving then an larger wing for doubles later on with be the least of your expense concerns. I use a 26# wing for all my single tank diving. If you're in warm water with aluminum tanks then an even smaller one might be fine.
I don't have experience with the other brands you mentioned, but I love my DSS rigs. They have terrific customer service and decent deals on BP/W packages. Tobin over in the DSS forum is great and can give you specific recommendations if you provide him with your current weighting, exposure suit, and tank info.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lilla

Last edited:
Hi Nick,
A backplate and wing is a great way to go, I found that it really helps for getting into a horizontal swimming position. As Lilla said, I've never had problems with getting pushed face down at the surface, and wouldn't think of carrying a snorkel with me. About the only downside that I've observed with the backplate/wing is a little more talent in getting the crotch strap on, otherwise, getting into and out of the setup on a boat is as easy as the normal BC.

If you go with the "bungee cord setup" for the regs, I would recommend starting with a 5' hose, rather than a 7' hose, unless you are really doing technical dives. My friend tried the 7' hose, but without a divelight canister to tuck the hose under, it was always coming untucked from his belt, and created a huge mess. I really like the 5' hose- it gives you a lot of hose for airshairing, and in normal operation stays very close to the body.
-Todd.

One thing I thought - in all the time I have been on charters, have only EVER seen a BP/wing setup on 2 (out of hunderds) occasions.... what are peoples thoughts on this comment?

Thoughts? Who cares what other people dive?

Another thing.... I am told that the main disadvantage of a BP/wing is that it will normally orientated you face down on the surface, and hence will ALWAYS have to snorkel to the boat.

Nonsense.

would think of the bugee cord setup... but have only ever seen this 2x in my diving history..... is it acceptable to use this setup with the 7" hose on normal commerical dive charters?

Acceptable? Of course. Why wouldn't it be? I've never seen a dive op specify what you can and can't dive.

Harness - originally I was looking at the DR Transplate.... but now am thinking of a hog setup - although I have never seen someone diving in this gear, I like the simplicity..... but would I look REALLY out of place in Cairns on a recreational dive boat?

Can't imagine what you mean by looking "really out of place" anywhere? It's dive gear. It cannot "look" out of place on a dive boat.

Wing - was originally think of a dual purpose, but have decided to get a smaller wing for the moment - maybe 30ln lift?

In reality there's no such thing as "dual purpose" - a wing is either good for singles, good for doubles, or good for neither.

Computer - was thinking Vytec DS.... but have been steered towards a Cobra 3 (console).... thoughts??? Have been advised AGAINST the wireless setup.

Why were you advised against wireless? Millions of people dive wireless computers with no problems at all. Personally I prefer having my computer on my wrist than dangling somewhere.

With this in mind, what are peoples thoughts on my ideas? If I DO mainly recreational diving, will I look a bit of an 'overkill' (with more basic gear!!!) idiot in a hog setup?

Of course not.

And the last thing.... if looking at a basic hog setup with a stainless bp and small wing.... Oxycheq, Halycon, DiveRite, OMS, DSS.... which should I go for???

I've dived with most of those brands, and while personally I prefer Halcyon stuff, you can't go wrong with any of the ones you mention.

but would I look REALLY out of place in Cairns on a recreational dive boat?

Well, I assume you have been on recreational boats out of Cairns, so you know whether anybody else is diving this sort of setup. But why does it matter? What's important is whether your gear fits you, feels good to wear and use, and works for its intended purpose. And a lot of us can tell you that the gear you are talking about buying does all those things!

It does help, for getting a harness properly adjusted, if you have access to SOMEONE who has done it before. But with a little trial and error, you can sort it out yourself. Basically, you want the harness as tight as it can go and still permit you to get in and out of it fairly easily. Too loose, and the tank will shift around on your back; too tight, and getting out of your gear becomes annoying.

If you are in the normal to slender range, I'd recommend starting with the 5' hose on your primary, just because it doesn't require tucking, or putting something on your belt to control it. But a lot of people just go with the 7' hose, and put a knife or pocket on the right side to control the excess hose.

I know brand availability in Australia is limited, but there are Halcyon dealers who can help you with fit and adjustment. But I suspect you will end up paying no more if you buy directly from DSS and ship. And Tobin's customer service rocks.

Being pretty new at diving myself, it's not that long since I went through the same series of decisions :)

I went with pretty much exactly the gear you're pondering and couldn't be happier. And as others have said - who cares what anyone else thinks :D

I went with the XTX200, but the second stages XTX50, XT100 and XTX200 are identical except for a few cosmetic differences. I've read here that the DS4 1st stage works well in a doubles set-up, but no personal experiences.

I bought a DSS stainless plate and really like the thought that went into the design of the plate. I was wavering about harness options but went plain HOG and am very happy about it.

I also went with a 5' primary hose and bungeed back-up. I don't have a can light, so I decided on the 5' hose rather than a 7' since I wasn't sure about tucking the excess hose.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what you decide.

Henrik

Second the DS4/TX50 reg setup. I've been using them for almost 2 years now and love them. Simple, reliable and tough. Will come in handy when you go to doubles.

If you are planning on tech diving in the future, skip the BCD and go for the BP/W. Save you some much needed money, it's a great rig, easy to fit and adjust, simple and clean. Stick with a smaller wing for singles as a doubles wing will cause you problems.

5ft hose would be a good idea for a single tank reg setup. It will allow you to get used to a long hose without being too long.

Most important, get gear that suits your present and future needs, in comfortable and fits well. Don't worry about what everyone else is wearing.

Tyler

Thanks all for you help and advice.

Will now talk to Tobin about a setup!!

Thanks again.

I will echo some of the sentiments that several respondents have shared.
And tossing up between BP/wing and normal BCD jacket system..... am looking at getting into Tec eventually, and thought if I am getting new gear, why not go the BP way??? One thing I thought - in all the time I have been on charters, have only EVER seen a BP/wing setup on 2 (out of hunderds) occasions
Whether you ever pursue technical diving or not, a BP/W is a reasonable choice. Certainly, you do not see BPs anywhere near as often as you do traditional jacket BCDs. That doesn't mean they are in any way inappropriate for recreational diving, rather most LDS stock primarily jacket BCDs, with a few back-inflates, many LDS staff have never tried a BP/W, and many customers simply end up with what is readily available and what is recommended by shop personnel.
I am told that the main disadvantage of a BP/wing is that it will normally orientated you face down on the surface
This is not true. It IS more likely with a weight-integrated, back-inflate BCD (e.g. a Zeagle Ranger) where all the weight is placed in front of the diver, the diver is overweighted, and an AL tank is used. With a SS BP and proper weighting, I have never found any tendancy to be pushed face forward at the surface.
Hoses - looking into the future, would think of the bugee cord setup... but have only ever seen this 2x in my diving history..... is it acceptable to use this setup with the 7" hose on normal commerical dive charters?
Perfectly acceptable. Again, it is more a matter of the tendancy of LDS to sell what they stock, and what their staff may have used. Either a 5' or 7' primary hose (I prefer 7', others may recommend 5', frankly it doesn't matter), with a bungeed / necklace alternate is a great way to dive. If you go that route, please practice OOA drills with your buddy, and be sure you are ready to brief any insta-buddy you are paired with. Not a big deal at all, but part of the process of being well-prepared.
You won't look out of place. A BP wth a hog harness is simple, functional, and ideal for recreational diving. In fact, it is so streamlined, you may find others ask you about it. I have one piece harnesses on my wetsuit BPs, but have quick releases (e.g., like the Transplate) in the harnesses I use with a drysuit.
I like / much prefer the convenience of wireless, with a analog gauge back-up. Easier to look at my wrist than unclip my SPG. Love my Vytec!
If I DO mainly recreational diving, will I look a bit of an 'overkill' (with more basic gear!!!) idiot in a hog setup?
There seems to be a common misconception among many divers, that a BP/W is a somehow a 'technical' diving rig. It is not. It is a great recreational rig. It is also functional for doubles, deco bottles, etc.
the last thing.... if looking at a basic hog setup with a stainless bp and small wing.... Oxycheq, Halycon, DiveRite, OMS, DSS.... which should I go for???
I have Halcyon, DR and OMS BPs, Oxycheq, Halcyon and DR wings, and a lot of DSS gear. No problems with any of these brands in my experience. You will not find better customer service than DSS and Tobin provide, anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom