advice needed on pony bottle mounting please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried a pony mounting kit by Zeagle, 'cause it was cheap and I didn't want to take the time to truely shop around for a real bracket [I like the look of the Tiger Gear bracket, but I'm not positive]. I didn't want to drop $100+ on a bracket when I wasn't sure it was what I wanted.

So I tried the Zeagle kit, which was basically two webbing bands that interlock through plastic clips. I didn't much like the clips [plastic] and the bottle twisted some when not vertical, and overall I didn't like it.

So I ran to Home Depot and spent $7 for a 1" x 1/8" x 3' piece of aluminum and two hose clamps. I cut a 14 inch piece of the aluminum off, stuck it in my vise and made a few bends, and hose clamped the piece onto the side of my bottle. The "handle" now sticks out about 1/2 inch. Used the two straps to go around the tank and it held it perfectly snug. Granted, it takes me about 3 or 4 minutes to rig it up, but it takes a couple seconds to take it off. It works well enough to have it until I design something better.

To extend into a question... How do people rig theirs? I have mine rigged on my left side of my tank. I rigged it upside-down and have my hose secured with two pieces of surgical tubing, leaving the regulator down by the valve. This way it's _very_ easy for me to reach back and pull up the regulator.

When rigging it up, I needed a longer hose. The LDS tech asked if I wanted a yellow hose. I told him I wanted a black one. I've got an alternate reg off my main tank. That's my buddy's backup. The pony is _mine_ :grrr:

Beast and I both use Tiger Mounts from Tiger Gear. I use a 13cu.ft and Beast uses a 30cu.ft. and it works great for both. He uses 3# in a trim pocket on the opposite side of the tank.

The photo isn't very plain :( . The mount is two pieces. One stays permanently on your tank strap, the other on your pony. Made of airplane aluminum, it's very light so if you're not using your pony, the female half isn't a problem. The male half (on your pony) slides down into the female half and locks with an attached cotter pin (shown in web photo), making the whole thing very stable.

What we really like about it is the ease in changing tanks, especially on a rocking boat, or handing it off underwater if needed. Pull the pin, slide the pony up and out....it's free.

Originally posted by funky__monks
I tried a pony mounting kit by Zeagle, 'cause it was cheap and I didn't want to take the time to truely shop around for a real bracket [I like the look of the Tiger Gear bracket, but I'm not positive]. I didn't want to drop $100+ on a bracket when I wasn't sure it was what I wanted.

So I tried the Zeagle kit, which was basically two webbing bands that interlock through plastic clips. I didn't much like the clips [plastic] and the bottle twisted some when not vertical, and overall I didn't like it.

So I ran to Home Depot and spent $7 for a 1" x 1/8" x 3' piece of aluminum and two hose clamps. I cut a 14 inch piece of the aluminum off, stuck it in my vise and made a few bends, and hose clamped the piece onto the side of my bottle. The "handle" now sticks out about 1/2 inch. Used the two straps to go around the tank and it held it perfectly snug. Granted, it takes me about 3 or 4 minutes to rig it up, but it takes a couple seconds to take it off. It works well enough to have it until I design something better.

To extend into a question... How do people rig theirs? I have mine rigged on my left side of my tank. I rigged it upside-down and have my hose secured with two pieces of surgical tubing, leaving the regulator down by the valve. This way it's _very_ easy for me to reach back and pull up the regulator.

When rigging it up, I needed a longer hose. The LDS tech asked if I wanted a yellow hose. I told him I wanted a black one. I've got an alternate reg off my main tank. That's my buddy's backup. The pony is _mine_ :grrr:
you wouldnt by chance have a picture of your masterpiece??

and I use the Pony Tamer found at www.ReefScuba.com . I have had so many instructors/divemasters stare in awe at the simplicity and ease of it all. It has never come loose for me, and I just love it. As for the reg, I have it loosely tie wrapped to the spg/depth gauge/compass console, and that is clipped to the golden triangle. I get redundancies on air, depth and direction this way. Unlike the way I have my primary reg configured, I use the hp hose port right beside the lp port the reg comes out of. Helps keep the hoses together.

I endorse the 'rigged as a stage bottle' on my left side....as others have said before, I can get to the valve easily, pass off the bottle if need be, or leave it home for easy shallow dives.....it can also double as a 'deco bottle' (if its a AL40) if you get more advanced. A 13 or so isn't going to be very useful except for a drysuit bottle after you get more advanced...

Originally posted by Rooster1

you wouldnt by chance have a picture of your masterpiece??

First official pics with the new camera. Since the pony hadn't been in the house for a couple weeks, my eldest child decided it was in need of inspection.

Originally posted by funky__monks
The attached file didn't work, so I deleted it instead of replacing it, and it wouldn't let me edit the post to add an attachment!

Let's try again:
Thanks funky__monks for the pics, very cool and simple.:thumb:

Originally posted by Rooster1

Thanks funky__monks for the pics, very cool and simple.:thumb:

No prob. I'll throw together another set when I go diving next, showing it rigged. I didn't feel like rigging it up when my stuff is scattered about, and it'd probably be better showing it rigged _and_ on my back since I rig it upside-down [so I can leave the reg and the valve in easy reach].

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom