Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take lots of money. I know WMart and Cosco have helped, but Hawaii living is expensive.
Our research shows that it could actually be less expensive than living here on St. Croix. Or at least similar. Thanks.

Some things are more expensive like electricity and gasoline, some thinks are less, like fresh fruits and vegetables at Farmers' Markets, somethings are nonexistent like winter clothes and heating oil (except way up on the mountains). On balance I'd say that we live lots better for a hair less, but we have shifted some preferences and material desires.
Another consideration is that if we move there, he will save thousands per year in commuting costs; if we don't relocate, he'll have to fly to/from HI to STX each month. We love a simple life, not into designer clothes and furniture and such, his only child is grown and married, and we adore fresh produce and seafood...that's one of the huge draws for us.

I have lived on Oahu for the past 6 years now because it has the major university's main campus (UH) and is the center of job opportunities. However, when I want to play in the water, I usually head to Big Island. Both islands have fantastic diving but represent polar opposites when it comes to attractions. While Big Island diving is easy entries and lush reefs, Oahu diving includes long walks, rough surface swims, but higher variety of sites (walls, wrecks, and sealife that Kona just doesn't get). Still, if I had a job opportunity like your friend does, I'd move to Kona and commute.
Thanks for the great contrast between Oahu and Kona diving. It would be easy enough to fly or ferry to Oahu now and again for those cool sites, if we end up near Kona.

I agree with your appraisal, except for the question of sealife. I see more different animals here on the Big Island than I ever have on Oahu, especially when it comes to the biggies: Whales, Dolphins, Mantas, Billfish, Turtles, Tiger Sharks, etc.
WOW...I want to pack my bags RIGHT NOW!!!

Debby, I don't live in Hawaii (duh), but I do visit a lot--at least once or twice a year--because I have family there (a son and his family, including grandbaby). He lives on Hawaii in the town of Volcano, so getting to Hilo for some shopping and the airport is a bit nearer than it is for knotical, but they do make the "trek" to the Costco in Kailua once a month or so. They buy fresh fruit and veggies from the local farmer's market, along with eggs (lots of people raise chickens), and since I'm not a meat-eater, I have no idea where they buy that stuff, but there must be local production since there are plenty of cattle around. They have solar panels and storage batteries, which are expensive initially, but pay for themselves rather quickly, for their electricity needs, and they use a water catchment system. They're entirely off the grid, which makes their living expenses (other than gasoline) reasonably affordable. I've done a fair amount of diving from several islands, and my favorite is the Big Isle, so far, though I haven't had the chance to dive at all of the islands yet. Most of the diving I've done on the island of Hawaii has been shore diving--both from the Hilo side (very limited, but nice enough) and from the Kona side. I've also done some kayak diving in Captain Cook (lots of work, but also lots of fun). I didn't even get in the water the last few times I've been there, though, since the baby is too small to take diving and I do want to spend my time with her since I see her pretty seldom. I can hardly wait until she's old enough to go snorkeling!

Debby, I don't live in Hawaii (duh), but I do visit a lot--at least once or twice a year--because I have family there (a son and his family, including grandbaby). He lives on Hawaii in the town of Volcano, so getting to Hilo for some shopping and the airport is a bit nearer than it is for knotical, but they do make the "trek" to the Costco in Kailua once a month or so. They buy fresh fruit and veggies from the local farmer's market, along with eggs (lots of people raise chickens), and since I'm not a meat-eater, I have no idea where they buy that stuff, but there must be local production since there are plenty of cattle around. They have solar panels and storage batteries, which are expensive initially, but pay for themselves rather quickly, for their electricity needs, and they use a water catchment system. They're entirely off the grid, which makes their living expenses (other than gasoline) reasonably affordable. I've done a fair amount of diving from several islands, and my favorite is the Big Isle, so far, though I haven't had the chance to dive at all of the islands yet. Most of the diving I've done on the island of Hawaii has been shore diving--both from the Hilo side (very limited, but nice enough) and from the Kona side. I've also done some kayak diving in Captain Cook (lots of work, but also lots of fun). I didn't even get in the water the last few times I've been there, though, since the baby is too small to take diving and I do want to spend my time with her since I see her pretty seldom. I can hardly wait until she's old enough to go snorkeling!
Congratulations, Grandma! :) We've been teasing his grown, married daughter that when she has babies, she has to send them to us to learn to swim. What you say about the shopping is great. When I was in the states and lived two miles from a BJs club, I only ventured there once a month anyway. Here, we have a cistern and we buy the big bottles of water for drinking. Our electricity is crazy expensive here but we've learned to cut waaaaaay back. The access to fresh produce, eggs, etc. sounds lovely. We do have that here and we love it!

How long is the flight from HI to Thailand? That's an area we've been longing to discover!

Question re: electricity...it is so crazy expensive here on St. Croix that our only A/C is a window unit in the bedroom and a window unit in the office. It is so expensive to run them that we've nearly eliminated their use by buying a couple of big fans. It's very humid here so it's not a perfect solution, but saves us literally hundreds of dollars per month.

So, is A/C an essential there, or can people live comfortably with open windows and fans?

Is natural gas or propane available? Our electric bill would be unaffordable if we didn't have a gas range and gas clothes dryer.

Well, my son lives up on the mountain, so they never need air conditioning, but they do need heat! Most people who live in the cooler areas use fireplaces--either natural wood or propane. Not sure down near the coast, though, where it's warmer. On the Big Island, Hilo side, it's rainy enough that there's a lot of vegetation that keeps the sun off the house, but of course if you live in an area of a (relatively) recent lava flow, it's hot and dry and there are cactus growing. Regarding drinking water, my son gets his water from a natural spring nearby, so he doesn't pay anything for that other than the gas it takes to get to the spring. People just fill up the big water jugs and store them at home. And yes, you can get propane. I remember going to fill up a couple of small propane tanks for my son's stove, and I think it cost about $5.00 a gallon, but that's taking the tank to the supplier--you can get big tanks and have the company come fill them for you, but I'm sure it costs more.

The flight from Thailand to Hawaii isn't bad. We go to Tokyo first (6 hours) and then from Tokyo to Honolulu (8 hours). It may sound like a lot to you, but to go from Thailand to Florida, for example, takes me at least 30 hours.

Thanks...wow, natural spring water! Good to know we can cook with gas. A delivery company services our large tanks here. Yup, that does sound like a lot to get to Thailand, but some friends are headed there next year and invited us and from STX, the flights would be amazingly long. Much closer to HI.

[...]So, is A/C an essential there, or can people live comfortably with open windows and fans?

Is natural gas or propane available? Our electric bill would be unaffordable if we didn't have a gas range and gas clothes dryer.

We have neither heat nor A/C. On the Kona side people tend to choose an altitude that suits them. A/C would be a requirement close to the coast (lower elevation), and heat a requirement upslope. We're at about 600 feet, at the lower end of the "comfort zone" which ranges from about 500 to 1000 feet. In late Aug/early Sept it can get a bit warm so we spend more time in the pool. Temperature control is via opening/closing windows.

Something I forgot to mention which BUGBAGGER alluded to is the vog - volcanic smog. Kilauea (one of the active volcanos on the Big Island) has been erupting continuously since the early 1980s. For the last couple of years the eruption has been producing more sulfur dioxide (SO2) than it has in the past. Because of the way the trade winds blow and the topology of the island an eddy forms off of the Kona coast which traps a lot of the SO2 and can result in what looks like a bad day in LA from time to time. People I know have left the island because of it.

Propane is available, natural gas is not.

Back
Top Bottom