advice needed for getting advanced dive training in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theslyfox01

Contributor
Reaction score
Brisbane, Australia. Though I'd rather be home in
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone - I'm new to this board, and also to the world of diving. I've recently passed my NAUI open water scuba diver course in Melbourne Australia which is where I live, and I'm off to Thailand and Cambodia (mostly Thailand) for a stack of diving in Dec. and Jan.

I cant' believe I've put off becoming a diver until now, when I first hit the water in Melbournes port phillip bay I was amazed at how much there is to see under water in my area. From watching TV documentaries you'd think the only interesting stuff going on under water is around the great barrier reef and in other exotic locations :think:

While im in Thailand I want to get my advanced open water diver certification, rescue diver and possibly master diver certifications as well. All going through NAUI dive schools (my instructor has been a NAUI, SSI and PADI instructor and stands by NAUI as being the far better of the 3 so I'll go with that, the training I recieved in my open water was excellent - over 20 hours theory in the class room and 7 dives, 2 boat and 5 shore as well as a full day in the pool.) The course content far exceeded what was the base requirement

My instructor is an instructor trainer with NASDS, a course director with NAUI, and a level 3 CMAS Scuba Instructor who has issued 3000 dive certifications so he knows a few things about diving - his courses are expensive though which is why I would consider doing some courses while overseas. (then I'd come home and do my divemaster with him.)

My question is whats everyones advice for getting certified in thailand, does anyone know of a NAUI dive school that offers good training at a reasonable price, the only NAUI operators I can find are in Phuket which im not all that attracted to because it sounds very over touristy :( as does half the country when you read about other places like koh tao.

Also are there any less known but reasonably well set up dive locations I could go too (I dont have my own dive gear so I'd need to hire it) I was originally going to head to phi phi, pattaya and koh tao but diving in what looks as busy as a underwater central business district doesn't sound very attractive - it would be good to get certified cheaply there though and then just move on I sopose.

Anyway, thats the end of my rant, any advice at all (diving or travelling in Thailand) would be appreciated, thanks dudes :cheers:

:sharky:

Don't know about NAUI dive centres in Thailand. Everyone I saw was PADI. Best diving is by liveaboard to the Similans/Burma Banks/Richelieu Rock.

However there is pleasant diving around Phuket/Phi Phi and Krabi.

These places may be touristy but they can nonetheless be pleasant places to stay and dive from.

Check out www.phuket-scuba-club.com

We used them in January this year for AOW and they were good.

Regards

Dunno about NAUI on Ko Tao but I agree with Welshman, although these places are busy they are still beautiful destinations and the diving is pretty cheap. I did my advanced course PADI at Ko Tao and sure it was not perfect but it was still fun and safe and there are plenty of cool things to see. I think if you were a hard core scuba type who had done it all then I can understand why Ko tao etc would be less than ideal. I say go and enjoy it for what it is, these places are popular for a reason!

Good morning theslyfox01,

I'm a NAUI Master Scuba Diver. I was certified last year from Sport Time Dive Center in Bangkok where I did both Open Water & Advanced Scuba Diver. Actually there're not so many NAUI centers in Bangkok and most NAUI instructors are "free lance" though they are superb as most of them were Mr.Dusty Rhode's students. Famous Mr.Rhode is the first NAUI Course Director in Thailand and he used to teach American army in US Sattaheep Navy Base during Vietnam War. Unfortunately, I heard that he was retired last year as his age is over 80 right now.

I highly recommend my instructor - Mr.Palang Yimpanich, the owner of Sport Time Dive Center who has been a NAUI Instructor (#6652L) for more than 20 years and a NAUI Course Director as well. He was awarded by NAUI HQ in Florida as the only
Asian NAUI Outstanding Contribution to Diving 1999. He can be reached at sportime@loxinfo.co.th. The shop phone no. is 66-2-712-1535 (press 0 after the Thai greeting) or you can call his mobile phone no. 66-1-819-4924.

Hope this help more or less :wink:

heslyfox01,
I also agree with Juv, since I am about to finish NAUUI Master Scuba Diving soon, at Sport Time as well. Kru (teacher in Thai) Palung teaches in both Thai and English, (studied in the US before), so no problem there.
The problem is where do you stay, the traffic jam in Bangkok, is totally out of this world, and it would be such a waste of time to go across town. :(

Sport Time is good if you live on Sukumvit Road side of town. But if you stay more on the airport side, I'd rather recommend Blue Shark Diver Center. There are 2 NAUUI instructors and 1 PADI instructor, and 4 -5 free lance instrutors. The 2 NAUUI instructors are also US alumni, so no problem in communication. YOu can get in touch with them by fax at 662-691-4763, and telephone numbers are 662-691-4762-3. By the way, they both won'tt ake you to Krabi or Similan for your exam. But after you have finished the course, Blue Shark has a little advantage, since it also runs a resort, Blue Village, in AOi Nang, Krabi. They also run a diving center at the resort and another one at Koa Luk.

I took my OPW there, but decided to go to Sport Time for my master, just for the fun of changing and knowing new people.
I enjoy taking classes at both places.
Have fun
:)

If you're going to Ko Tao, I'd highly recommend Ko Tao Cottages. It's a great place to stay, the DM's and instructors are first rate, it's a bit of a smaller operation, so it will feel less like a C-card factory like many of the bigger places.

Let me know if you want more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom