Advice needed for a Ribbon Reefs dive, advices well appreciated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi mates, i'm planning a dive in the ribbon reef's in the GBR and i am a bit shock about the costs of the days trips, accommodations, etc..,any aussie or anyone who could give me some advice? i'd appreciate it so much cuz we are spending so much time in this plan and we are a bit lost, thank you.

Yes, expensive. Liveaboards probably give best value.

In my very limited experience with diving in FNQ ( far North Queensland) the day boats (1 trip) are cattle trucks, aimed at the lowest common denominator and offer follow the leader diving. Liveaboards ( 2 trips) offer smaller numbers and more diving. With more opportunities to do your own thing. Throw in accommodation and meals and they can become attractive price wise.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Great mate, ill contact them as soon as possible, thank you for your answer, i will also keep this thread open in case anyone else could suggest any more ideas to me, cheers.

The Ribbon Reef trips are more expensive but bear in mind you are flying one way and motoring back. Also its a lot of travel. The Ribbon Reef trips are limited numbers and its not as much as a cattle truck situation compared to the smaller trips that visit the Outer Reefs.

Spirit of freedom and Mike Ball are the 2 main options for the Ribbon Reef and compare to doing day trips with hotels and meals involved then its relatively worth it.

If budget is a big problem then look at the Outer Reef trips on boats like Ocean Quest or Scubapro for good value and decent sites.

The Ribbon Reef trips are more expensive but bear in mind you are flying one way and motoring back. Also its a lot of travel. The Ribbon Reef trips are limited numbers and its not as much as a cattle truck situation compared to the smaller trips that visit the Outer Reefs.

Spirit of freedom and Mike Ball are the 2 main options for the Ribbon Reef and compare to doing day trips with hotels and meals involved then its relatively worth it.

If budget is a big problem then look at the Outer Reef trips on boats like Ocean Quest or Scubapro for good value and decent sites.
Well this is the advice we were looking for, i'll contact both to have a quote and we will follow your priceless advice, thank you so much mate, i'll post the results of our plan here, cheers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom