Advice Needed Buying Scuba Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moving from a neutral fin to jetfins that are negative and much heavier was hardly noticeable apart from better fit and more power.
I am neither big nor powerful but fit enough at 53 to make use of a tech fin.
The F1 looks nice.
Like a bigger boat with plenty of power, you will be best served with an effective propeller.

Cheers, Kevin

What type of finning do you do, flutter or frog? I have size 15 also, I’m leg heavy too, 6’5” 245, the choices are limited but more than necessary. How do you travel to dive or is it local?

A great overall fin is Sherwood Tritons, they seem floppy but really move you through the water and turn in a decent frog kick, scubapro sealing Nova is also a good all around especially in the gorilla version.

XXL eddy fins are my least favorite because the foot pocket is just to damn big and the fins are a bit floppy, they work ok but for floppy I’ll choose the triton every time. I do use XL Eddy’s wet and dry, 3mm booties wet and dry I have 3mm compressed feet, thin wool socks with lava core socks or 3mm socks with 5mm booties over those, the sole on the outer booties have to be minimal to work. All Eddy’s come with spring straps that will likely be to short for you. If you can find F2 springs those will work fine or make some bungee straps to replace the spring, fins don’t have to be overly tight and the bungee is the only way I can use the Eddy in warm water and thin boots.

For warm water travel friendly fins try scubapro GO fin, truly the best warm water fin I have ever tried (I have two pair of Accell’s available if anyone wants them)
The GO is a sock or barefoot only fin but they will come out with a regular foot pocket version soon, I will try those out as soon as I get a chance.

These are just some suggestions based on similarities, you have to try different things to see what suits you.

What type of finning do you do, flutter or frog? I have size 15 also, I’m leg heavy too, 6’5” 245, the choices are limited but more than necessary. How do you travel to dive or is it local?

A great overall fin is Sherwood Tritons, they seem floppy but really move you through the water and turn in a decent frog kick, scubapro sealing Nova is also a good all around especially in the gorilla version.

XXL eddy fins are my least favorite because the foot pocket is just to damn big and the fins are a bit floppy, they work ok but for floppy I’ll choose the triton every time. I do use XL Eddy’s wet and dry, 3mm booties wet and dry I have 3mm compressed feet, thin wool socks with lava core socks or 3mm socks with 5mm booties over those, the sole on the outer booties have to be minimal to work. All Eddy’s come with spring straps that will likely be to short for you. If you can find F2 springs those will work fine or make some bungee straps to replace the spring, fins don’t have to be overly tight and the bungee is the only way I can use the Eddy in warm water and thin boots.

For warm water travel friendly fins try scubapro GO fin, truly the best warm water fin I have ever tried (I have two pair of Accell’s available if anyone wants them)
The GO is a sock or barefoot only fin but they will come out with a regular foot pocket version soon, I will try those out as soon as I get a chance.

These are just some suggestions based on similarities, you have to try different things to see what suits you.

Yeah you are pretty much my size. I mainly go frog kicking and modified flutter. Recreational boat diving mainly in warm water but eventually I'll get to cold. Thanks for the details - I'll check out those Sherwoods. What brand of bootie do you have in 3mm? I could not find that size for the life of me.

Yeah you are pretty much my size. I mainly go frog kicking and modified flutter. Recreational boat diving mainly in warm water but eventually I'll get to cold. Thanks for the details - I'll check out those Sherwoods. What brand of bootie do you have in 3mm? I could not find that size for the life of me.
For frog and modified flutter the GO fins are amazing, no boots required, the eddy’s Are excellent for these kicks too but on the stiff side for the flutter but doable. I usually end up with generic type booties like neo sport/deep sea for the 3mm, sort of a search situation and buy when you find them.

@naui_bigfoot

I use both Apex RK3 and Dive Rite XT for warm water diving. The XT's are very stiff and fairly long so may not be idea choice for new diver. The RK3 are a lovely fin and neutral. I just prefer my Dive Rites for heading into big currents

My LDS ordered the Hollis F1 LT in XXL - so I'm waiting to see how that will fit. It's my #1 choice so far. More buoyant than the Bat Fin and I love the grey color. I like the UTD Precision but they dont seem to carry them. The HOG may get a look if the LT doesn't pan out.

My LDS ordered the Hollis F1 LT in XXL - so I'm waiting to see how that will fit. It's my #1 choice so far. More buoyant than the Bat Fin and I love the grey color. I like the UTD Precision but they dont seem to carry them. The HOG may get a look if the LT doesn't pan out.
What size shoe do you wear? I have the xxl wear an 11 wide and they fit great

@LandonL or @cerich

Do you have any XXL's that are hidden away? Maybe a demo pair, or returned pair???

**A slightly used pair is just as good as new. Barring any serious neglect, fins will last decades...

I'm trying to get one myself to complete my demo set. But I'd step aside if it would mean this diver gets a set first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom