Advice for Novice Diving Newport, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Learn It

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all, first time poster here!

I was just looking for some advice regarding 2 dives I have planned for tomorrow. My father and I plan to dive Fort Wetherill (1) and King's Beach (2). First dive at 9 and second probably around 11:30, with high tide @ 10. Both of us are open water certified and dove this past January on a cruise. I have never done my own shore dive in the ocean, and he hasn't in 20+ years. I have about 12 dives, he has more but from the 1980's... Weather looks good, mid 70's, partly cloudy with 14mph winds from the south. I was originally planning on King's Beach and then Green Bridge, however, with 15mph winds from the south and it being our first shore dive, I thought I'd keep it simple as it can be.

For Ft. Wetherill - enter in left cove and hug the wall on the right, going across the point and ending in the right cove. Do people go around the island or is there a risk for strong current?
King's Beach - head out left along rocks and possibly out the the north side of the island (facing the shore) before circling back to entry spot. Is the island too far out or do people also circle it? Trying to use GoogleEarth as a reference here...

What do you guys think? Safe for our level/weather conditions? How about vis? I have done my research, just looking for reassurance.

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: Postponed the dive until next week, which I have pretty much open so I can get into the water with the best conditions. Sent AfterDark a PM as well.

Last edited:
Only my opinion - there is a big storm out in the Atlantic - The Texas Tower buoy is showing 21 knot winds and 7 foot seas. Granted this tower is off NJ but it is going north - postpone your dive until you get better conditions. IMO - with the dives you both have - I would wait for favorable conditions.

NDBC - Station 44066

You can also find a closer buoy if you expand the map.

I was just looking for some advice regarding 2 dives I have planned for tomorrow. My father and I plan to dive Fort Wetherill (1) and King's Beach (2). First dive at 9 and second probably around 11:30, with high tide @ 10. Both of us are open water certified and dove this past January on a cruise. I have never done my own shore dive in the ocean, and he hasn't in 20+ years. I have about 12 dives, he has more but from the 1980's... Weather looks good, mid 70's, partly cloudy with 14mph winds from the south. I was originally planning on King's Beach and then Green Bridge, however, with 15mph winds from the south and it being our first shore dive, I thought I'd keep it simple as it can be.

For Ft. Wetherill - enter in left cove and hug the wall on the right, going across the point and ending in the right cove. Do people go around the island or is there a risk for strong current?
King's Beach - head out left along rocks and possibly out the the north side of the island (facing the shore) before circling back to entry spot. Is the island too far out or do people also circle it? Trying to use GoogleEarth as a reference here...

What do you guys think? Safe for our level/weather conditions? How about vis? I have done my research, just looking for reassurance.

Thanks,
Chris

PS - Should have posted this earlier but anyone feel free to join if you can!
My experience with Fort Wetherill is that you'll be blessed with 5-8 ft visibility at best. I haven't gone out to the island, but I believe you can get pretty deep out there and I'd recommend staying within the confines of the cove. To make sure you don't miss the turn coming out of the cove you'll want to make sure to keep your depth no deeper than around 30 ft. I have no experience with Kings's Beach/Green Bridge but from those that do dive there I understand that the visibility is much better. I suggest sending a PM to AfterDark, he has a lot of experience with the sites you are thinking about, is a really good guy, and will advise you well.

I second the advice to PM AfterDark. He has been an invaluable resource to me for RI diving.
For FTW - Instead of diving around the point from one cove to the other which may be a bit tricky for a new diver who is unfamiliar with the site, consider simply entering the right cove down the boat ramp and diving the one cove for your first time. Just a thought. New England Shore diving is a lot different that guided vacation diving in the tropics, best to be safe and take some baby steps to get used to the experience, you will be less stressed too. Enjoy it!

I would follow the suggestions everyone has given thus far. Definitely stay to boat ramp cove at FTW. You can follow the wall to left out & turn come back along it on the way in.

Also, RI diving is very different from warm water cruise dives & even cold water California diving. I recently moved from CA & didn't realize how good I had it there. Here you have to tow a dive flag or risk getting a DEM fine. I need to get a float flag. Now it's probably not a big deal, but you can get a tangled mess pretty quickly. Another thing to practice. From what I understand tides are significant here due to the current generated. Most dives I've done with others have been at or very close to slack tide. Visibility is limited in the sites you mention.The best I've had was a night dive with close to 10'. I am no expert, but very cautious. Not trying to scare you, just suggesting you be safe.

Also, can't say enough about Giant Stride guided dives. Both Tom & Steve are awesome. There is a dive tonight, Wednesday the 11th, at FTW. Steve usually leads the night dives.

And AfterDark is the best resource around for these shore dives. Good luck, hope to see you out there.

under water some where

Thanks,
Chris

EDIT: Postponed the dive until next week, which I have pretty much open so I can get into the water with the best conditions. Sent AfterDark a PM as well.

Hi LearnIt I got your PM but wanted to read your post and decided to post here. First thanks all for the kind words everyone, much appreciated.

FaithC gives good advise about doing the one cove and for proof I give you " http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...dive-fort-wethrill-friday-8-29-14-report.html " Post #1 Dive 2040, give it a read. It's very easy to get turned around and lost even after getting to the surface. Baby steps, it's how you learnit!

Yes outside the island at the point can be a tricky place at any time except slack tide and that may not last long enough to go round it! The current can be going in one direction at one depth and the opposite direction at a different depth.

I'd be happy to go diving with you and your dad. If you plan on diving Newport I'd advise to just dive Newport and forget about FTW for now.

Kings beach is a good place to dial in your weights and get a feel for "easy" shore entries. The current can be challenging at times but doesn't do "tricks"...usually.

Green Bridge has a long surface swim of at least 100yd and more depending on how you want to dive it. I'd advise against diving Green Bridge on your own at first. I didn't, I was with 2 other divers that had done it many times. Back then we could drive to the water!

Let me know what days you want to dive Newport I have a screwy schedule so the sooner you let me know the better.

Guided dive at Kings Beach on the 13th 5 - 7 PM. There may be some juvenile tropical fish around.

under water some where

I believe Tom from Giant Stride.

under water some where

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom