Advice for new fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddneyX

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum here. Last year my mask and fin were stolen by car thieves (hmpf), so I'm going to be buying new fins for this summer.

The last couple of fins I have used have been full-foot and paddle based, and very cheap. I don't go scuba diving (yet), but mostly underwater swimming/diving in a lake in Sweden. Mostly for relaxing, but occasionally for looking at fish. Speed is therefore a requirement.

I have been reading about the new split-fins and thought maybe this would be a good idea. I don't do the frog kick, but the standard flutter kick. Would split-fin work with this?

Also, I see that e.g. Tusa Xpert Zoom SF-8 is not full-foot. If I have bare feet, would the clamp mechanism feel uncomfortable?

Any recommendations also would be appreciated. TIA :blinking:

First, welcome to SB, Toddney...

You'll find there's a <passionate> split opinion field here between splits and paddle fins.
To answer your last question first, I wouldn't recommend using open heel fins without booties. They're not designed for bare feet, and you'd probably be uncomfortable, as well as possibly lose a fin.

As for the type of kicking you do, splits are perfect for flutter, and excellent for speed. Atomic Aquatics makes an awesome full-foot split, as does Apollo (originator of the split fin). They're pricey, however, most good splits are.

Best of luck, and dive safe.

Ok thanks for the tips. I won't go for the open-heel design so that narrows down the search abit.

I've seen about the Tusa FF-9 which seem reasonably priced. Can anyone rate this or recommend better ones?

Oh man the can is open and the worms are crawling out...

I dive splits. THey are longer than the average fin and use a swimmers flutter kick.

I started out diving with Rocket fins and that was a long strong scuba kick.

My peronsal observations of fins. With a strong current the splits do not seem to get me moving head on. If I use a paddle type fin I can muscle through and make headway.

I can beach dive all day with splits and not get cramped up. Paddles make me sore if I have them on all day.

I have not found someone I can not catch underwater yet but I am sure I am not the fastest but they are pretty darn quick.

So it depends, like many things, what you are planning to do.

A good fit is the first consideration when purchasing new fins, especially if you are contemplating wearing them barefoot. Fins vary not only according to foot length but also according to foot width. And if you're choosing full-foot fins, they can be worn with fin socks or booties to protect your feet. Just make sure that you buy a pair that will still accommodate your feet when you wear such foot protection. Some full-foot fins are actually designed to be worn with booties, e.g. Japanese-made Apollo Biofins and Gull Mews.

sounds like you are doing more free diving. why not get a set of free diving fins?

Yeah I guess you can call it freediving. But what would be the difference with freediving fins?

the difference would be great... I've tested different fins with an underwater speedometer, fastest fins are long bladed freediving fins and then the very fastest of the fins is a monofin. I learned that you can be fooled by how a fin feels in the water.. a fin can be easy to kick and still move you right along.. resistance you feel doesn't necessarily translate to speed. Common belief is that full foot fins transfer power to the fin better than an open heel.. a suggestion is to get them 1 size over and get neoprene socks of 3mil to wear. I've also found that in cold water a full foot fin lets less water exchange so they seem to me to be warmer.
As far as splits go for speed.. just check and see what the underwater hockey players are wearing... they have to wear a more standard length fin than a freediving fin and fins like the quattro pros get the nod.

Aloha ToddneyX,

Have you heard of the new MorFins? I can't say enough god things about these fins. I dive 300 plus dives each year for the past 25 years. For the last year I have been diving with MorFins. I regularly switch fins with my clients in the middle of my dive tours. This gives me a chance to try lots of different brands and styles. EVERY TIME I put on another brand I cannot believe how much harder they are to kick than my MorFins. I really mean it and I have made the dives to prove it. One of the main advantages to MorFins is the smoothness of their design. Do this test. Take any pair of fins and rub them quickly side to side with your hand. You will feel and hear the lines, edges and other molded in features of the fins. Try the same test with MorFins. You will barely feel anything and you won't hear anything either. Where does the feeling and sound come from? That's easy to figure out. It comes from the resistance and friction of the fins. People never consider just how much side to side they do with fins. They buy them thinking they are moving forward all the time. That really isn't the case, especially in hovering and maneuvering around tight areas. The MorFins are slippery, like a fish is. Keep in mind that water is 800 times denser than air....this means that all that friction can be multiplied by up to 800 times! Don't believe me? Try it and see for yourself. I know what I'm talking about.

As far as split fins go, let me ask you a question...When you see a fish underwater with a 'split fin', what is the first thing that comes to mind? Hmm? I know what I think..... Poor fish! He's got a busted fin! (remember Nemo?) How does he manage like that? So now I ask you why would anyone buy a 'busted fin' and take it diving? It makes no sense to me. They buy the fins because they are easy to kick. Just like a bike is easy to pedal in first gear. But you really don't want to stay in first all the time if you plan on getting anywhere, right? My advice is stay away from Split Fins, they are a gimmick. Try the MorFins, they work great. MorFins are very reasonably priced too. Just my .02...

I am a neutral person on the split vs paddle, I like both and use both.

The flutter kick is easy with split fins. I have a pair of aeris velocity xp. They are fast and agile when chasing a fish. If you are looking for a not to pricey split fin full foot the tusa xpert zoom, ScubaPro twin speed and oceanic vortex V6. all of them are less the 60 US dollars.

The paddle has more thrust when you encounter currents, you can do more types of kicks. The are generate allot of power. If you want a very fast fin and great acceleration, the mares avanti superchannel full foot. When it comes to paddle fins, I am a big Mares fan. I have the mares avanti. The wife use the Mares quattro excel.

The Mares superchannel full foot got a tester choice for scuba diving mag last year and it is not that expensive.

I would not use an open heel with out booties, the straps can rub badly against you skin and cause a blister. I try using a shoe type boot, and I end up getting a blister on the upper heel from the fin strap. Since then no matter what the water temp is, I will always use a ankle length bootie. Good luck with your fin decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom