Advice for Maui in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LandLockedDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are tenatively planning a week in Maui in early December. Unfortunately, she does not dive and I'm a relative newbie having only dived in St Lucia and Cozumel.

I'm looking for advice on dive sites, and shops, as well as how this type of diving might be different than what I'm used to. Because I'll be buddy-less, I'll likely need the services of a dive charter rather than just launching out on my own. Any particularly good companies you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance...

I went to Maui when I had 9 dives. My husband and I dove with B&B out of Kihei, and we had a wonderful time. They were very willing to provide the help we needed (which turned out to be surprisingly little). We have dived with them on several occasions, and always done well.

Contact kidspot (Tim) who is a SB local guide for Maui, before you go. Tim's a great guy who really knows the shore diving spots. He is a lovely diver and a great buddy. He'll help you figure out where to go and what to do.

There's great boat diving, and great shore diving on Maui. You'll have fun.

Other good ops out of Kihei are Mike Severns and Ed Robinsons, but B&B seems to be a favorite around here. My husband and I were certified in Maui, so being a newbie is no big deal to dive there. :wink:

One big thing to remember about diving in Hawaii is that it's all hard corals and lava formations. The soft sponges, sea fans, and soft corals that you saw in the Caribbean simply cannot live in the cooler, mid-Pacific waters that surround Hawaii. I liken Hawaii to the moon and the Caribbean to the tropical rain forest. Both are beautiful but very, very different.

Personally, I think Hawaii's stark beauty is amazing. There are so many surprises when you dive if you're willing to slow down and open your eyes. In the winter, there's simply nothing more amazing than listening to, and feeling reverberating in your chest, the soulful songs of the whales that seem to be just out of the edge of viz. Or if you're lucky (like TS&M and her husband) you may actually get to SEE a whale!

All boat charters on Maui are DM led, so you don't need a buddy for those. There are a few Maui residents on the board who are happy to meet a visitor for a dive or two, but Tim is the "Official" Maui board member. :D You can also do a guided shore dive with ops like Shaka Doug and Maui Dreams, both of whom have excellent reputations for customer service and fun.

For boat trips to Molokini I'd second B&B http://www.bbscuba.com - they are great people. For shore dives check with Shaka Doug http://www.shakadivers.com

In Lahaina Pacific Dive is a great shop to deal with and very good with new divers http://www.pacificdive.com

Drop me a PM when you know your travel dates and if I'm free we can do some shore diving together up here in Lahaina.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
For boat trips to Molokini I'd second B&B http://www.bbscuba.com - they are great people. For shore dives check with Shaka Doug http://www.shakadivers.com

In Lahaina Pacific Dive is a great shop to deal with and very good with new divers http://www.pacificdive.com

Aloha, Tim

Listen to Tim...we just got back and Tim took us to the good spots and was a great guy to Dive with. Pacific Dive shop was great and has a wash bucket outside to clean your gear, very handy.

thanks again Kidspot!

I dove with Ed Robinsons back in June and was very pleased. I had just gotten my OWS that weekend, and this was my first dive in the big blue... they asked me what I wanted to see and the DM I was with went clearly out of his way to try and find what I was hoping to see... found some white-tipped reef sharks, eels, and even a frog-fish. If you do Molokini, you should have your wife come on the boat with you... most places offer a reduced rate for snorkelers, and seeing you down there closer to the fish would probably give her the boost she needs to get certified.

check out Lahaina Divers my buddy ( instructor level diver) did a week with them and had nothing but good things to say about their operation

We use Lahaina Divers for our charters to Lanai and have dove with them numerous times, so have zero complaints about their operation, professionalism, and the fun we have with the DMs and captains.

However, I do believe that it's important to know what you're getting into before booking with Lahaina Divers....that way there are no surprises and fun is maximized. Lahaina Divers run the biggest dive boats on Maui. They have 2 big 46' Newton dive boats that are powerful, stable, and a dream to dive from IMO. Their DMs and captains are excellent, the operation runs smoothly, and customer service has always been excellent for us. The important points to know about Lahaina Divers before booking is that they dock their boats in Lahaina, which is a very long boat ride from Molokini crater. Their Molokini charter does 2 dives inside the crater instead of moving to on off shore site for the second dive. They also use AL72s, which I've never found an issue because of their short SIs, but other folks take issue with. Because Molokini and Lanai are decent boat rides, they have to limit the surface interval to approximately 45 minutes in order to get the boat back to Lahaina before the trades pick up at around noon. Although they say their profiles are "65' for 30 minutes, or 60' for 35 minutes", we've not had a dive less than about 45 minutes with them. They give divers with computers a lot of latitude to dive your computer. Because they depart out of Lahaina, the ride to Lanai is as short as possible, and with big, wide boats are very comfortable for the crossing, which can get rough.

Lahaina Divers also does a LOT of Discover Scuba. These folks are put on the afternoon charters, which we've found to be the only full charters we've been on...so we avoid afternoon charters like the plague. Their boats take up to 23 divers, but we've rarely had more than about 18 on a morning charter with them. Fortunately the boats are so roomy that you won't feel crowded, but it's still more people than many prefer to dive with.

Although Lahaina Divers doesn't advertise or promote themselves this way, I always feel that they focus quite a bit more on the occasional or beginner diver. If you are experienced and let them know, they'll let you do your own thing, but they go under the assumption that everyone needs to be watched closely unless told otherwise. We know many of the guys who work for them, but we still remind them that we don't want to be babysat and the DMs don't worry about asking us what our tank pressure is, how we're doing, etc., they simply rely on us to tell them what we need.

I think that Lahaina Divers is a very good operation as long as you know what to expect. We prefer to dive with Ed Robinsons and really love their 3-tank charters, but will stick with Lahaina Divers for Lanai to take advantage of the comfortable (and shorter) ride across the channel.

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. It looks like we'll be in Maui from Dec 8 - 15-- I can hardly wait!

Oh, I almost forgot: DiveMaven mentioned that the temps are somewhat cooler than in the Caribbean. What should I expect and what type of wetsuit do you recommend?

Water should be around 74-76 degrees. You'll likely see everything from folks in shorties to 7mm Farmer John/Janes. What you need will depend on your cold tolerance and how much you're planning to dive.

We'll be on Maui a week after you for 10 days and plan to dive every morning (2 or 3 tanks), as well as do a couple of "dusk" dives, so our body temps will likely be down by mid-trip. I'm planning to take my 5mm full suit and my husband will have his 3mm full with a 3mm vest to layer.

Back
Top Bottom