Advice for first BP/W purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knzett

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am ready to upgrade from my first BC to a low profile/travel friendly BP/W BC and have narrowed it down to 3. As I live in Pennsylvania and prefer to dive in warm water, I have to travel to dive and I have also started to dabble in UW photography so also being streamlined and light are key. I am not looking for bells and whistles, just functional, reliable, lightweight, and slightly customizable. I am looking to support my local dive shop and buy locally and that’s one of the reasons I have narrowed it down to these three options and I don’t want to spend a small fortune. (And yes, I am aware that I have limited my options by not purchasing online, but I want to support my local dive shop.)

If you have any experience with any of these brands or BCs, good or bad, please share to help me make the final decision.

1. OMS IQ Lite Performance Mono Travel BC
2. Dive Rite TravelPac BC
3. OxyCheq Travel BC

Thanks!

Go with the Dive Rite, they make great gear. It weighs less than 6 lbs, most of the hardware is stainless steel, it has 2 tank straps, a crotch strap, it's simple without any extra crap that you don't need, you can add weight pockets if so desired.

My #1 recommendation is to choose the one that fits you best.

If you want harness I would select the Dive Rite over the OMS. Dive Rite is known for excellent service and is the more established company.

Oxycheq is known for poor service, BUT that is because the owner of the company prefers divers going through the dive shop for questions and service rather than Oxycheq directly. So I think that reputation is undeserved. I have their products and recommend them.

The advantage of the Oxycheq is that you can get the lift you want. For tropics you are looking at 18 lb max 30 lb. The speed harness is sparse but can be customized to what you want. You can also leave it adjustable or lock it in.

If you are traveling besides weight I would also look at pack-ability. Some BCs pack more compact than others. For domestic travel airlines seem more concerned about size rather than weight. If you are doing adventure travel, puddle jumpers care about both.

You might also consider the Dive Rite TransPac with the travel wing. It might be a tad less streamlined, but you gain a lot In modularity if you ever want to swap wings out.

We have had good experience with the Dive Rite and the Oxycheq wings. I have no experience with an OMS.

FWIW, I have owned the basic one piece harness and the deluxe harness. My preference is the one piece plus it has no failure points. Also, my preference is the 2 inch crotch strap.

i just bought the oms lite and i love it it weighs in just under 8 lbs with added quick release pockets and 4 trim pockets aluminum d rings
Are the weight pockets removable or are they permanently attached?

If you go with Oxycheq (or Dive Rite), call Jay or Edd at Cave Adventures... they give some killer call-in deals. I just ordered another complete BPW system for my wife from them.

I personally went with Oxycheq wings because, although they are a little heavier, they are compact and very durable. Their wing bladders are super thick. They still integrate with pretty much everyone's plates and harnesses.
I did one trip with the Oxycheq soft back plate, and another with their SS "wishbone" travel plate, but the older I get, the more I'm leaning toward traveling will a standard 5lb. SS Plate- packing lead sucks.

Back
Top Bottom