Advice for diving in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Me and my girlfriend have planned out a trip to Bonaire for May 2010. We will end up having enough money left over that we could plan another trip for December 2009. We decided to do the keys but have never been so we don't really know where to go. Basically we would like to know what area of the keys have the best shore diving possibilities. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up about not being any shore diving. I guess if we decide on the keys then we will need to plan on booking boat trips. I will look in to Ft. Lauderdale also. Thanks again.

You can do some pretty awesome boat diving either place and do it economically. Costs are about the same as long as you stick with Key Largo and Ft. Lauderdale area. Found that Key West is higher than either place.

In early December, I find that Key Largo is slightly better than Ft. Lauderdale but not as consistent perhaps. Both are definitely divable that time of year. If you wait a little longer, Lemon Shark mating season comes to the Ft. Lauderdale area. :)

Conch Republic has a great deal for boat dives right now if you book online specially for SB members.

Just reminding everyone about the summer on-line special. Book online and your dives are $70 with tanks $55 without. Please follow the instructions posted to get this rate.

Oh yea and if you let us know you're a SB member you get another 10% off that. So now your down trips are $63 with tanks and $49.50 without
.(these rates are before taxes) Each dive trip is a two tank dive, stopping at two dive locations.

Book Online Now and $ave

You can also check out our daily dive reports from actual dive sites. These are listed on the online calendar and let you know sea conditions, visibility, and water temp.

If you're planning a vacation down here and need lodging, we work with hotels/condos to get you better than advertised pricing.

If you have any questions about the Keys, please don't hesitate to call or PM me.

Good Diving,

As far a Lemon Sharks go... Jupiter would be the place to go not quite Ft. Lauderdale just a bit north.

My girlfriend and I? For drift diving I would recommend Boynton (Underwater Explorers) or Jupiter (Jupiter Dive Center). In the Keys, I really enjoy Key Largo with the Speigel Grove and the Duane in addition to great shallow reef dives. There are many great operators, I use Ocean Divers, they are incredibly reliable.

Good diving, Craig

I have gone to both Ft. Lauderdale and the Keys in Dec. The diving is still good you just have higher chance of being blown out. 3mm is def. needed.

Both good diving possibilities. Shore in Pompano and Ft Lauderdale, boat in Key Largo. The water will be getting chilly (especially to us locals), but we have wet suits to rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom