Advice for April 2015 trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cxxx

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a dive trip to Belize this April. Unfortunately we are restricted by my work to travelling Wed 1st-Wed 8th April, and I'm struggling to work out the best itinerary.

We are both AOW divers with about 45 dives each, and both Nitrox qualified. While we enjoy pretty coral and small stuff, I think it's fair to say that it's the bigger stuff that excites us - sharks, schools of bigger fish, turtles, dolphins, rays, whales if they're around etc...!

First of all, does anyone in Belize offer Wednesday-Wednesday liveaboard trips? A liveaboard would appear to be perfect, but they all seem to be Sat-Sat?

Assuming we have to stay on land....

We are mostly keen to dive the outer atolls, since these seem to be the best diving areas. While not planned that way, it appears to be the full moon Whale Shark season at Gladden Spit in the second half of that week. We have seen whale sharks before in Mozambique, but it seems silly not to go to see this in Belize when we happen to be there at exactly the right time. Otherwise it seems like the Blue Hole should be near the top of the list, along with a couple of other dives around Turneffe and Lighthouse.

We could stay on the mainland coast for the full week and do daytrips to each of the atolls to see all of the above, but this seems like it would involve spending a large proportion of the holiday travelling out and back on a boat (and a lot of early starts!). Don't mind doing this if it's the best way to see everything, but doesn't seem very efficient.

We can't seem to cover all areas from any one of the atolls, so I've looked at splitting the week between two atolls (north and south) but we are then restricted by the standard Wed and Sat transfer days and packages. So far I've looked at:

Wed 1st-Sat 4th, 2 days diving: either Turneffe Island/Flats, or Lighthouse Reef (Huracan Diving?).
Sat 4th-Wed 8th, 3 days diving: Glovers Reef so we could hopefully include a whale shark trip during the full moon period.

With only 2 days at the northern reef though, we would miss out on a Blue Hole trip from Turneffe (they only seem to run the trips on Tuesdays), and might not even get it in from Lighthouse. I'm not sure how bothered to be by this? Again, on the face of it, it seems ridiculous to go to Belize and not dive the Blue Hole, but then I think I've read that apart from the unique 'landscape' it isn't that great a dive? And that the other dives around Lighthouse Reef or Turneffe might be better anyway?

Maybe we would be better to just pick one atoll and stay there for the full week? But if so, which one?? Blue Hole and Whale Sharks both in theory accessible from Glovers (though very weather dependent to the Blue Hole?). Turneffe with a Blue Hole day trip might be best of the northern options, since Lighthouse reef don't seem to go to Turneffe. Whale shark trips don't seem to be offered from either of these though.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very gratefully received!

One final question - anyone know rough prices for helicopter transfers? We though this might be a more efficient transfer method on the Saturday between two resorts!

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Claire.

Hi Claire,

Welcome to SB.

It seems to me that you're trying to cover too much territory in too short a time. While I understand wanting to see as much as possible, I'd suggest scaling back a bit and leave some things for your next trip, especially if you're looking to do both the Blue Hole and Whale Sharks. Otherwise you're going to spend almost as much time traveling from one spot to another as you will diving. I made that mistake when I went to Cuba a couple of years ago. While it didn't ruin the trip, I came home needing a vacation from my vacation, lol.

Whale Sharks - the best option I know of is to stay on Placencia and use Splash Dive Center. Having said that, I think they are already booked up for April but it wouldn't hurt to check. If that works, though, you may also be able to dive the Blue Hole with them if they meet the minimum number of divers required for a long day trip and can spare the big boat from Whale Shark dives. Contact Patty via their website or PM Ralph Capeling, the other co-owner, on this board. Splash is also running a live aboard but that's in May, I believe.

I wouldn't recommend staying on the Turneffe Atoll on a Wednesday through Saturday. As you noted, no Blue Hole dive and the two days of diving is actually only a day and a half as they knock off Friday at lunch since the majority of guests are leaving the next day.

The Blue Hole is somewhat controversial here, mostly based on safety concerns but also because it's a unique "bounce" dive that is either absolutely fascinating or not worth the risk/time/money etc. You can read through some threads here and decide for yourself. Regardless, there is universal agreement that the other dives in the area are among the best in Belize, so any trips to the BH would include those dives as well.

My advice, worth every penny you've paid for it, is to effectively break your itinerary in half and do two trips. Given that you've probably missed out on Whale Sharks this April, then start with one of the northern atoll resorts. I've stayed at Turneffe Island Resort twice for a total of three weeks and recommend it highly but there are a number of resorts out there. You'll be able to dive lots of great sites for a week, including the BH, and the most you'll travel during that time will be from the cabana to the dock, about a ten minute walk. Assuming you find Belize to your liking and want to return, you can then plan your next trip to southern Belize in plenty of time to sign up for Whale Sharks. Splash would be a great choice for a dive op and Patty can help you with the logistics of travel and a place to stay.

Oh, you asked about helicopters. No idea, sorry. TIR has a helicopter pad on the island, but I never saw anyone use it.

Last edited:
Hi Claire.

Wow, that is an aggressive plan for such a laid back locale. I agree with Downing on many points.

I have been to Ambergris Caye four times at various times of the year. I strongly suggest that you reconsider a couple of your points.

1- finding accomodations that are conducive to your busy plans. If you can afford the price tag, you may want to stay on the Turneffe islands, closer to the Blue Hole and outer islands. Logistics can be cumbersome and may or may not live up to expectations. Otherwise, I suggest San Pedro / Ambergris Caye. However, although I favor SP, that may lends itself to a few challenges.
2- access to WHALE SHARKS. If this is a make or break for your trip, you need to find accommodations nearer to the area of Placencia. A seven day trip makes it do-able but not as enjoyable, to divide your stay at two locations.
3- BLUE HOLE - A trip to the Blue Hole takes 1 full day (2-3 hrs ea way from San Pedro) to dive. Most dive trips will take you to a couple other locations like Lighthouse, the Aquarium and others in and around the BH with a lunch stop at Half Moon. We left at 5 or 6am on Thanksgiving a Day and returned to San Pedro at about 6:30pm. A full day in the water, under the sun, and the breeze in your face, we returned exhausted! The Blue Hole itself is not a lot to see and I actually preferred the small coves and reefs throughout Belize. But, it is a trip of a lifetime that few can say they have done. Some divers are into that.

I suggest the next day be followed up with some site seeing or casual snorkeling on the north end of the island. If you enjoy the Rays or Sharks, then see Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley on the south end. Easy dives, or snorkeling, with a number of others joining your half day. You could also, do a day of Flats Fishing and a Beach BBQ.

Traveling all all the way to Belize, would be a shame if you did not experience the wonderful people and its heritage. Visiting the Mayan Temples, inner tubing the rivers through the jungle, the zoo, zip lining, horse back riding, exploring small villages throughout the mangroves and waterways. You can take a trip to Guatamala to Tikal, but be selective with who you go through. I thoroughly enjoyed those in Belize; Lamani and the other smaller temples. There is no need to be in Belize City itself (not real safe), but most definately the local towns, it's bars and restaurants. Visiting during Lobsterfest or one of many celebrations is always fun. If you stay in SP, take the water taxi to Caye Caulker or even now as I understand it, you can get to Mexico via water taxi.

HELICOPTER Tours are available, expensive and in my opinion unnecessary.

Enjoy your trip and I really do hope you find time to explore Belize outside of just diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom