Advice for an inexperienced diver in Bali/Konodo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctorsi

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading some of the posts about diving in Bali and Komodo. I am thinking of heading out for 3 weeks in October ( some might say I like to leave things to the last minute! ) I've only done about 30 dives and most in pretty warm and currentless conditions, am I bitting off more than I can chew if I go for a Komodo liveaboard and will the operators around the place be able to provide me with enough insulation!!

doctorsi

doctorsi:
I've been reading some of the posts about diving in Bali and Komodo. I am thinking of heading out for 3 weeks in October ( some might say I like to leave things to the last minute! ) I've only done about 30 dives and most in pretty warm and currentless conditions, am I bitting off more than I can chew if I go for a Komodo liveaboard and will the operators around the place be able to provide me with enough insulation!!

doctorsi

On one of my trips to Komodo, there was a guest on board taking his open water course and he was quite happy. Hope this should be enough to reassure you - Operators plan the dives for the level of experience of their guests.
Have a great trip !

An by the way you may be able to get a last minute deal...

Don't forget East Timor. We are only a 1.5 hour plane trip from Bali, there is more coral, 25+ shore dive sites less than 45min drive from Dili, 9 times out of 10 you are the only ones at the site. Don't miss it if you are this close.

If you make it down here, send a PM if you need a dive buddy. We are always ready to dive.

Nick

I was on a Komodo liveaboard last summer with a number of "weak" divers (a combo of new, elderly, and disabled) and so we avoided sites with any significant current. I don't think the sites overall tend to be particularly challanging, though, and I think you'll be fine. The water was a bit cool for me (around 75-78 F in August) so I ended up wearing three layers: a dive skin, wetsuit, and shorty. But that was just me -- I'm pretty small and I get cold easily. The rest of the divers were guys and they were fine. The reefs around Komodo are lovely and the dragons are great. Bali is also wonderful. I definitely recommend the trip!

You can dive the USS Liberty in Tulamben. It's an unmissable dive and suitable for divers with limited experience (lots of operators even do Intro dives there). Padang Bai has great corals and marine life too and usually gentle conditions.

Ask these guys how conditions are at the moment; http://www.kapalselam.org/. They may even be running a trip there you can join. They ran one just last weekend, though I wasn't able to join.

It's also Mola Mola season in Bali and there's a very good chance of seeing them off of Nusa Penida. I saw 2 there last week but be warned, the bit that the Mollies like is very cold. We abandoned our dive after 15 mins as we were not prepared for the 18C on the dive. Just 5 minutes along it was a much nicer 27C but no Mola Mola there and the current was quite strong so we had to keep close to the reef to avoid down currents. Still a great dive spot and worth it for the Mola Mola....only wish I'd had the camera with me.....and a lot more neoprene :)

frogfish:
On one of my trips to Komodo, there was a guest on board taking his open water course and he was quite happy. Hope this should be enough to reassure you - Operators plan the dives for the level of experience of their guests.
Have a great trip !

An by the way you may be able to get a last minute deal...

OK suitably reassured about the currents, now what about my insulation, will I be able to borrow a full set of wetsuits from the liveaboards?

We went on the Mermaid liveaboard, which is run by the Sea World Dive Team but sponsored by the Tauch Terminal Tulamben resort when it is in Bali. (The Mermaid spends about 8 months a year in Thailand and Burma). We rented all our gear from the dive shop in Tulamben, including the initial 3 mm wetsuit and shorty I started out wearing. The dive skin was found on board for me once it became clear that I needed even more.

doctorsi:
OK suitably reassured about the currents, now what about my insulation, will I be able to borrow a full set of wetsuits from the liveaboards?

Yes you should be able to - But make sure they are aware of your equipment hiring requirements when you book

Hi doctorsi,

I can't speak for the liveaboards or Komodo, but I did my OW in Bali and went back again with about 40-50 dives under my belt and found the diving managable both times.

As orangeBloke says, Nusa Penida is good, but be prepared for cool temps/strong thermoclines. That was the most challenging diving I did in Bali...

Tulamben, Ahmed and Menjangan (?) were relatively easy with little current and warm temps. Around Pandangbai is also nice with some more challenging dives north of there nearer to Candidasa...local guides will (should?) steer you away from there if you aren't experienced as the conditions are tricky and can change quickly.

Good luck with your trip. I'd like to go back and to the Komodo liveaboard myself.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom