advice for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the best thing to come out of Georgia, is I-95! :D (Sorry, this ol' Gator couldn't resist)

As for diving the pan handle of Florida has lots and the south part of Florida has TONS. Click on either link to get to the forums dealing with them.

Actually, I find that the best thing for most new divers to buy and learn how to use is a dive computer. It will help you time your ascents and give you solid info on how you are diving. You don't need ultra expensive, and a unit like Oceanic's Geo series would be perfect! Here is a link to one on Scuba.com: http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=17&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=009224-a

How were the checkout dives?

Since you're in an OW class, I assume that you already have your personal gear - masks and fins. If you need/want a snorkel, don't buy the most expensive one out there.

One thing you didn't mention was exposure protection. Getting a well fitting and warm suit will make the diving much more enjoyable. Akona does offer nice suits at a reasonable price.

As for regulators, unless you have a good LDS or do your own maintenance, I'd avoid buying used. As mentioned previously, regulator maintenance is $100-$150. If you buy used, you have to take this into account. And you have to deal with the possibility that the regulator is not repairable. ScubaBoard purchases have been good to me. eBay is a mixed bag - one regulator looked great from the pictures, but the insides were corroded.

Also, it's important to note that if you buy new, many manufacturers have "parts for life" programs so you only pay for labor. This requires annual servicing, but in the long run could be better than buying used.

A good workhorse regulator that won't break the bank is the ScubaPro Mk2. Not the sexiest, and hose routing is so-so. However, it's solid and a proven design. Zeagles have excellent price to performance ratio.

With regards to BCDs, this is something that buying used makes a lot of sense. BCDs depreciate in value, a lot. When checking the BCD, fully inflate and let it sit overnight. Shouldn't be any leaks. In addition, check all dumps and thoroughly go over the inflator. Also, if your BCD does not include an inflator hose, calculate an additional $20 into the cost. I've bought many, many BCDs used, and I have yet to have a problem. Again, ScubaBoard (and other dive forums) tend to be better than eBay - more correspondence, better picture, and usually someone has a history of selling and posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom