Advice for a drysuit newbie? (I took your advice and got the Whites Fusion!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read this forum because I'm renting a Fusion for the weekend and want of course women's perspectives. I chose to try the Fusion because of research I've done on SB. I also read a amazing thread about how much longer it takes to put it on, however, as Lynne said, it's just like putting on nylons. So what if it takes a little longer, let them eat cake!!! My current d/s suits me fine, well it did, until I had two shoulder surgeries. We have been diving together almost three years! I love that suit!!! It is a back zip, so reaching my right arm over my shoulder to take it off is now horribly painful. I'm 7 months post-op and am still in pain. I tried on the Fusion tonight...wow....what a difference putting it over my head and removing it!! And, one more thing, I didn't lose any hair!!! I just may be onto something here!!!! Because of the tighter fit than my current shell type d/s, I don't think my butt looked bad either. Now, for a dive this weekend to try it out....and I will be careful with the APEX valve. And yes, no drysuit dive is ever 100% dry, that's what the spare clothing bag is kept in my car for. Stupid wrist seals....replace them for a smaller size that cuts off my circulation and I still get wet.

Christine, can you add some followup now on how you like it, what would you advise or do different?

I have never gotten wet diving my whites fusion. it is a little difficult to pull over the legs, but it makes up for that by being a very easy suit to dive in. honestly it didn't feel much different from a wet suit in the water. usemorethan 1 finger to stretch thesilicone seals. with one finger, you may as well use a knife to stretch them.

It's a little late, but silicone oil is not good for silicone seals. Just like a silicone 0-ring or a silicone diaphragm, they will absorb the silicone and get larger over time. KY works fine as does Seal Saver. The KY is hypo-allergenic - I have no idea what's in Seal Saver.

---
In terms of seals you can get wrist seals in both cone and bottle styles. Coned seals are cone shaped and bottle seals have a rounded shoulder profile and straight "neck" like a bottle. The cone seals are adjusted for size by trimming to enlarge the opening, while the bottle seals come in different sizes.

If one style does not work for you, try the other.

KY works fine as does Seal Saver. The KY is hypo-allergenic - I have no idea what's in Seal Saver.

Oh those acronymes!:confused: What KY stands for? So far I knew, it meant "kiss you".:kiss2: On the former page Lynne said about Apeks valves something like PITA - so far I knew, it was an oriental type of bread...

KY Jelly is a brand name for a water-soluble lubricant. PITA stands for "pain in the ass".

Q 2: Advice on putting the silicone neck and wrist seals on? Also, what do you use on your seals?
[I'm a bit leery of talc because of the possibility of cornstarch, I do have pure liquid silicone that is ok for me]...
Worry not about the talc haveing cornstarch IF you buy talc not baby powder. Baby Powder is NOT Talc. Baby Powder (Johnson & Johnson for example) often contains (or is completly made of) corn starch and different from Talc which is made of hydrated magnesium silicate. Talc that is appropriate for drysuits will be 100% pure talc with no perfume or additives and is not usally found in your local drug store. Purchase your talc from the local dive shop and it should be pure talc (a mineral product) and not cornstarch or any other additive.

KY Jelly is a brand name for a water-soluble lubricant. PITA stands for "pain in the ass".

Thanks, that was educating! SB members love acronymes so much that with my self-taught English I sometimes barely comprehend the topic.:)

I have some concerns about using the Seal Saver on the silicone seals of my Fusion. Folks at the shop I got the suit from recommended it as working miracles, but it has a "100% silicone formula". On the package it says only about preserving and maintaining latex and neoprene seals. Silicone lubricant on silicone seals doesn't sound good. Is KY different?

So far I thought that talc just helps to slide the seals over your palms and head, and the Seal Saver inhibits oxidation and deterioration. Therefore I applied talc shortly before putting the suit on. From reading this thread I got impression that they substitute each other. Does talc really protect the seals from UV and environment, and the Seal Saver help to slide them on? Is it either/or, or should I use both?

J.

I can't remember who wrote it, but somebody recently wrote that you shouldn't use Seal Saver on silicone seals, because the seals will absorb it and it will change the silicone.

I don't think talc protects from UV, but it will absorb body oils that can degrade latex. I'm not sure this is an issue with silicone seals.

KY is a water-soluble lubricant that does not contain silicone. It is safe for latex or silicone seals.

Thanks for the info on the seals! So far my local dive shops have been leery of proclaiming the talc to be corn free (they know my allergy issue and are very careful). Id like to find some 100% and give it a try.

KY is not hypoallergenic if you are allergic to corn. I understand that the medical grade silicone that I am using now may contribute to glue breakdown (which is why it is a no-no for zippers) but no one at the dive shops has said anything about it causing a problem with the seals themselves. At any rate, if I have to replace them sooner than normal, it is worth it to avoid a reaction. With the user replaceable seals at least I can swap them out easily. :)

Thanks so much for all the info! I'm loving the suit.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

I just read this forum because I'm renting a Fusion for the weekend and want of course women's perspectives. I chose to try the Fusion because of research I've done on SB. I also read a amazing thread about how much longer it takes to put it on, however, as Lynne said, it's just like putting on nylons. Now, for a dive this weekend to try it out....and I will be careful with the APEX valve. And yes, no drysuit dive is ever 100% dry, that's what the spare clothing bag is kept in my car for. Stupid wrist seals....replace them for a smaller size that cuts off my circulation and I still get wet.

Christine, can you add some followup now on how you like it, what would you advise or do different?

Hi Deb,
I LOVE my drysuit! My instructor is impressed with it too-- with how easy it was for me to adapt to a drysuit and how easy it has been to be warm and dry and very very happy! I was slower putting it on the first few times but now that I have the feet in, up to the knees, up to the hips, get my butt all the way in before it goes up over my shoulders.

Im pretty sure I'm dry in my suit, now that I have the smaller neck seal. I had some leaking doen the back of my neck from a too large seal. My underarmor type tee and bike shorts can be a little damp because Im sweating, but my thermals are dry.

I didn't get the boots and am using hightop chucks -- Id probably be faster with attached boots. Bit I just start earlier to get dressed. :) one thing I've noticed is that I'm comfortable in my suit between dives, but most of the other divers can't wait to peel out of their suits. One I'm in, I'm set!

Ive been out of the water due to an illness -- but if I were we'll I would be bugging everyone to go get int the cold cold quarry with me now. :) I'm thinking about asking Santa for some shmancy whites thermals.

Hope you are enjoying the suit as much as I am.

Christine,
Thankyou for the feedback. Im very appreciative of letting me jump in on your original post. I've heard from a few folks now and it sounds like a fantastic choice! I borrowed one last weekend and was amazed how much flexibility I had! Yes, the legs up to the hips are a little slower, however I determined I could shave a few seconds off of putting it on, by being a little more careful smoothing it out after I take it off. I had 75% more flexibility than my shell d/s. after gearing up, as I was donning my fins at the boat ramp, I felt my foot begin to fill up with water, so I had to call the dive off. Later, I found the leak in the toe area and fixed it myself. It is going to snow here next week and ice up the roads, however I'm trying to get a dive in before the roads become too icky for my compact car. Did you, or any other person reading this post, notice that a weight adjustment was needed? I'm still sticking to the 16lbs for f/w with my steel HP 80cf. I didn't get a chance to do a weight check since my foot was filling up with 43 degree water. Thank you to everyone!! I think Santa needs to stop by my house, I'm being reeeeally good!! Debbie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom