ADVICE: Does anyone have U/W experience with a Sony 100 VI??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can check my gallery. All taken with the RX100-7.

www.jordilopez.com

Macro using Nauticam CMC-2
Wide Angle using Nauticam WWL-C

Regards,
Some great shots!!

Are you using a Nauticam housing?
What sort of working space do you have with the macro?

For land shooting I did buy a Small Rig grip with nicely finished wooden handle. See the last pictures for how small the camera is.

The grip helped me shoot the RX100 VII like a larger camera still allowing easy access to the bottom for memory card and battery changes.

It was wonderful to travel so light and make pictures I was happy with :)

I'll continue to do the same underwater!

View attachment 687658View attachment 687659View attachment 687660View attachment 687662View attachment 687663View attachment 687664View attachment 687665View attachment 687666View attachment 687667View attachment 687668
Oh man I miss the bush!!
As a Saffa it's in my blood!
Where were these taken?

To ALMitch,

I use a Fantasea FRX100 LE housing that fits the Sony RX100 M6 and M7 models. You can only zoom between 24 - 66mm but that's the most usable range of the RX100 M7's 24-200mm optical lens for underwater. anyway.

I'm not a macro shooter these days preferring wide angle and the occasional mid-range fish photo.

For the whales I borrowed a friends Inon UWL-H100 lens which widened my RX100 M7 to make 96 degrees (???) Not super wide but it was small and easy to snorkel with. The whales are usually far away from where they drop you off and while challenging it was super fun :)

When I return to Moorea' October 2022 I'll likely take the newer Inon UWL-95 C24 Lens M67 Type 2 mount which is designed for compacts with a 24mm wide lens.

Maybe add the dome (both glass and polycarbonate are available) that widen the view to 140 degrees but to be honest sometimes the whales won't let you get that close.

As to the Africa shots they were taken in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and Botswana where I journeyed August 2021. It was amazing and I don't think I gave up anything photographic wise taking only the Sony RX100 M7 :)

Hope this information helps!

David Haas
Stow OH USA

You can check my gallery. All taken with the RX100-7.

www.jordilopez.com

Macro using Nauticam CMC-2
Wide Angle using Nauticam WWL-C

Regards,
Jordi,

Did you shoot any of the other RX100 models before purchasing the VII? If you did, is the AF appreciably improved from the earlier models?

Thank you,

David

To ALMitch,

I use a Fantasea FRX100 LE housing that fits the Sony RX100 M6 and M7 models. You can only zoom between 24 - 66mm but that's the most usable range of the RX100 M7's 24-200mm optical lens for underwater. anyway.

I'm not a macro shooter these days preferring wide angle and the occasional mid-range fish photo.

For the whales I borrowed a friends Inon UWL-H100 lens which widened my RX100 M7 to make 96 degrees (???) Not super wide but it was small and easy to snorkel with. The whales are usually far away from where they drop you off and while challenging it was super fun :)

When I return to Moorea' October 2022 I'll likely take the newer Inon UWL-95 C24 Lens M67 Type 2 mount which is designed for compacts with a 24mm wide lens.

Maybe add the dome (both glass and polycarbonate are available) that widen the view to 140 degrees but to be honest sometimes the whales won't let you get that close.

As to the Africa shots they were taken in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and Botswana where I journeyed August 2021. It was amazing and I don't think I gave up anything photographic wise taking only the Sony RX100 M7 :)

Hope this information helps!

David Haas
Stow OH USA
David,

Is the AF in the VII significantly improved over the VI?

Thank you,

David

David,

I never owned a Sony RX100 VI so have no comparison info. I chose the Sony RX100 VII after watching several reviews especially on the AF accuracy.

As mentioned in previous posts watching the one Sony Ambassador's video on RX100 VII settings pus Ken Rockwell's review helped me get pics of humpback whales in Moorea' and especially Africa safari images with that little wonder :)

I still have my 1" sensor Canon G7X II camera, Fantasea housing and some UW accessories which I use in addition to my iPhone 13 PRO Max.

The Canon menus and settings are much easier to recall versus the Sony but I wouldn't hesitate to get another Sony RX100 VII for future trips!

David Haas
Haas Photography Inc.
IMG_3066.jpeg

@David Haas Not sure why I never spotted these replies....thanks!

I have the Inon UWL-H100 with the dome for my old Rx100 Mark 1...yes 1!!! The lens works amazingly.

I'm quite happy to see you were getting great shots with the VII and the lens. How much did you have to zoom in to get rid of any vignette-ing?

ALMitch,

I don't have the Sony RX100 VII anymore but with the borrowed Inon UWL-H100 (no dome, just lens) I barely tapped the zoom on my Fantasea RX100 LE housing to eliminate any vignetting.

Since the whales were surrounded by blue water many times I didn't touch the zoom at all. The Fantasea RX100 LE housing's short port hardly showed vignetting even with the Sony RX100 VII set to widest 24mm focal length.

Now I only have my trusty Canon G7X II and Fantasea FG7X II housing plus iPhone 13 Pro MAX and DIveVolk housing for traveling light.

I use a pop on and off Fantasea F Series "Air Lens" on the Fantasea FG7X II housing. It floats and is light and restores the 24mm native Canon G7X II focal length UNDERWATER.

Works for me and you can search under my name for other posts on how I use this combination. I usually don't zoom it as It's not meant to be a "zoom through" optic.

I just use my fins getting close to my subject :)

Hope this helps!

David Haas

Jordi,

Did you shoot any of the other RX100 models before purchasing the VII? If you did, is the AF appreciably improved from the earlier models?

Thank you,

David
Hi David,

Sorry I missed your message.

Yes, I did use the RX100 MVI before (I just upgraded because I saw a good second hand opportunity and the Nauticam housing could be upgraded).

I did not see any significant improvement in photo autofocus for macro stuff, as you normally use manual focus with focus peaking. But for video and wide angle was better.

I don't have this camera anymore, but using an Olympus EPL10. Much easier to focus for macro stuff compared to the RX.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom