Advice and suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and the board. I will be doing some diving in Kauai and the Big Island in February. This will be some of my first ocean dives as a certified diver. (I have done a few resort dives in Mexico and Jamaica but most of my limited diving experience is quarry dives). I own the majority of my equipment (reg, bc, computer snorkel, mask, fins, ect). I am looking for advise on other equipment that I should consider having for the ocean dives and any other advice being offered for diving in Hawaii or in general. Thank Joe

i haven't been diving in Kauai or the Big Island, but here in O'ahu I always have a safety tube/sausage attached to my gear for "just in case". I also keep a small flashlight in my bc pocket that I can pull out to look into little crevases/crevises (sp?). Don't bring a camera if you want to see something good because that is the only time something will show up - ask justleesa about the galapagos shark or catherine with the whale circling her a year (or so) ago.

Depending on your tollerance a 3-5mm suit is what most people use. Others like to have a sausage and a spool. Gloves are allowed here. Other wise I'd say you've pretty much have it all.

Hi,

Well, you are in for a treat! The whales will still be around and you will hear their songs as you dive. And that is very special.

Let's see...Kauai...If you are staying on the Poipu side, try Bubbles Below. A very good outfit. If you want to see turtles, just ask and you will see lots and lots. There are frequently frogfish around, too, and ask to see them.

Kauai is the oldest of the four main Hawaiin Islands and, as such, has a lot of algae on the bottom. This makes for good "muck diving" and you can see some very interesting critters. Just keep an eye on your DM and he will show you the sights.

The Big Island...that is my favorite for a bunch of reasons. My suggestion is to go with Sandwich Isle Divers since you are fairly new to the sport. They have a nice boat that accommodates 6 divers perfectly. The crew is fun and they will take care of you--they are wonderful with new divers.

There are two other outfits that I like there: Pacific Rim Divers and Jack's. PRD takes 6 on their boat and will take nice care of you, too. Jack's takes 12 divers, but divides them into two groups of 6. I am of the opinion that they do not do as good a job with new divers as the other two outfits, but others may disagree.

One thing you might consider when it comes to food is Pancho's and Lefty's. It is a Mexican restaurant on the main street, Alii Drive. Every Tue they have "Tightwad Tuesday" and you can get two meals for the price of one--all you have to do is get a local paper and cut out the coupon. Ask the waitress to show you the two-for-one items.

One more thing...If you read Michener's book, Hawaii, you will want to stop off at the big stone church just down the way from Pancho's. It is called Mokuaikawa Church and was the model for Abner Hale's church in "Hawaii". Neat place!

Oh, yes, equipment. As justleesa said, 3-5 mil suit will be fine...no cold water gear is needed. The lowest it will get will be around 78 deg F or so. You will probably see most divers using 3 mil with the occasional 2-3 mil vest.

Have a great time!

joewr

Yikes...we had a WT of 73f this week.......brrrrr.....

justleesa:
Yikes...we had a WT of 73f this week.......brrrrr.....

Wow! Egad Leesa, I have never dived in Winter-time Hawaii at temps lower than 75 deg.

Joe, my boy, better start thinkin' about that 5 mil!

Thanks, Leesa!

joewr--cold just thinking about 73 deg water....

Jscatricks:
...I am looking for advise on other equipment that I should consider having for the ocean dives and any other advice being offered for diving in Hawaii or in general. Thank Joe
Big Island: Leeward side​

My LDS can rent anything you need for diving but it is pretty pricy. I find most things they carry priced well considering our shipping. I do buy online but only what I can’t find here.​

Should have boots for shore dives, the little booties work fine. The shore entries aren’t all lovely sandy beaches. You can pick up cheapies at Wal-Mart and are good for any shore lava walks. Wet Lava is ungodly slippery.​

Gloves are good, I use the Ace latex coated palm and finger garden glove, not for warmth (unnecessary) but protection, although nothing works for urchin spines.​

I’m not finding a small light much use here except for looking into coral, I do carry a UK mini-LED for that. It’s good vis and good light overhead. You can rent a more robust light. Even on night dives I’ve used just a small light or cheap Pelican flashlight without a problem, again – good vis. A big light is nice but you may not want the hassle of carrying one – I usually don’t unless planning to look into caverns.​

I’d bring an extra computer battery incase the shops happen to be out of stock. There is no overnight shipping, it’s called overnight but is 2 days. Possibly another shop on another island would have it overnight but what a hassle to locate – simpler to just bring.​

If you’re into knowing what you’re getting into I recommend Hawaiian Reefs, A Natural History Guide and the Franko's Map of Hawai'i, The Big Island. For general Big Island Hawaii The Big Island Revealed.​

A 3ml wetsuit is good, possibly a good investment for future trips. Often visitors don’t use one but I do like the contact protection alone for diving here, coral and lava are nasty scratcher gashers. I’m acclimated to warm and can live thru a 4 dive day – night with a 3ml.​

If your Reg is DIN, bring the Yoke adapter. A compass for un-guided shore dives except one place I can think of. Boat diving with your number of dives, I’d recommend going with the DM and they’ll head you back the right direction.​

I’d be surprised if all Op’s weren’t pretty similar, but ask to confirm with your OP of choice. It’s competitive and I’ve never heard any Op is shoddy or dangerous. I’ve only done boat dives with Jack’s. Jack’s list trip sightings on a white board in the back with loads of the usual unmentioned. You’ll need to prove certification for boat dives. With few dives you might want to bring your log. They provide tanks and weights.
They will want to load, set up, rinse gear and weight you on the boat.
The dive briefing is informative and usually light entertainment. Their objective is for you to enjoy their paradise, and they will be keeping a sharp but not overbearing lookout. Staff may wear Captain, Instructor and DM hats interchangeably and willing to answer questions and provide assistance, I’ve never seen anyone snooty or aloof.​

The Manta dive is not to be missed, ask for help to stick on the bottom.
They are relaxed about keeping a close knit group; you’ll probably see people wandering loosely around looking for critters. As the bulk of their customers are vacation divers expect to see dweebs kicking sand and you, if you’re trying to stick like glue to the DM yourself. I just mosey along looking on my own but close enough to whiz over for a special sighting.
With few dives, new to the ocean and how much to see I suggest not bothering to try to take underwater photos on a boat dive unless doing your own buddy pair.
They ask for a general 60 minutes, but dive time is up to you. I’ve been down to 100’ with them but around 60’ is the norm.
If you want more personal or closer attention ask for a DM or instructor for yourself, they really enjoy sharing what they know.
Surge is common, just sway along with the rest of us, relax and enjoy. You ought to schedule boat dives now as they can be fully booked by the time you show up.​

If you plan to go up to the observatory warm winter clothing is necessary. For general clothing choose breathable and light weight, Polo shirts and t-shirts are too hot. Don’t need much. Aloha attire is standard everywhere for dress-up. Clean and reasonably nice: open collar shirts, walking shorts, sundresses, sleeveless, bare legs. A sweater if in Waimea, never need a sweater along the coast out of doors, probably make it through a seriously air conditioned restaurant or theater. I would have a way to cover up in the sun like a long sleeved shirt if fair skinned, I can torch here with sunscreen and in the shade. Sunscreen and a hat I feel is vital, polarized sunglasses very good.​

An umbrella necessary if going to the Hilo side or Volcano, and likely to use this time of year on Kona side. Usually when it rains, it’s a dounpour. Can get by without a raincoat but nice if hiking some of the volcano.
Can get by with grocery store flip flops (slippahs) outside but a Teva slippah with a thicker sole is good for the wicked thorns. A strap on is good for hiking but have sole extend from toes – I’m telling you the lava is brutal. People actually wear hiking shoes and sport sneakers but I can’t see how they stand it. Almost anything leather in humidity is uncomfortably hot, as are socks.​

Wal-Mart, Kmart and Longs have best prices for incidentals and Aloha stuff – Hawaiian Print items. It’s all the same (Island Heritage) cute little gifts like sticky notes, luggage tags, can coolers, no need to shop around. There are Farmers Markets to find individual produced touristy items, Mac Nuts , coffee (look for 100% Kona) and flowers. For the food goodies CostCo is best price and you’ll see the same brand and items everywhere.
If you’re doing the prepare it yourself; stop at CostCo first before hitting up a grocery store. You might be surprised what the grocery stores are out of and do carry. I feel lucky finding Half and Half, lots of Asian and Portuguese food. Safeway now has considerable organic. Things like Avocado and Mango are generally brought in – too expensive labor wise to produce here which is sad but street vendors abound when in season (varieties are seasonal.) White pineapple and Apple bananas are superior; Papayas and Apple bananas are local.​

I’d carry a map as we use a multitude of names for things and the road names change as you travel down them. Towns are hard to distinguish where beginning and ending in the south. Almost everyone navigates off things like ‘where … used to be’ or ‘in between the airport and the harbor.’ I don’t know anyone that knows the highway or road numbers and will direct you to head mauka on the Upper Road or stay on the Lower Road. Very little is a straight line as in Hilo is west of Kona but very little of the drive is on a West heading.​

Remember you’re on Hawaiian time and it’s a relaxed attitude, I don’t recall anything happening on the dot.
A smile and genuine friendliness will get you the same in return. Being nasty will probably get you a blank smile and nowhere. Feel free to ask anyone any where for some assistance (like how do I get to… when on foot).
Many locals are from other countries and may not attempt to speak or can English. If it sounds sorta like English it’s probably Pidgin and once you get over the odd word choice and order it’s perfectly understandable.​

Take back home the smiles you pick up instead of any lava or coral or Pele will make you eventually return it. Stay off the coral and let the turtles come to you. Don’t forget to relax once on the plane and enjoy whatever paradise surrounds you.

One more thing...If you read Michener's book, Hawaii, you will want to stop off at the big stone church just down the way from Pancho's. It is called Mokuaikawa Church and was the model for Abner Hale's church in "Hawaii". Neat place!

that book is so wonderful for understanding Hawaii and the cultural legacies of all the ethnic groups! Although I never got all the geneology sorted out.

I love Hugo's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom