advice about blue lagoon in huntsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_figaro

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
do you guys think that its foolish to go inside one of those boats sitting on the bottom of the quary?

i was super tempted, but didn't do it, cause I thought I'd ask someone else first.

During my Open Water certification dives 2 years ago, the DM led us through a small sail boat hull, was neat for a first real dive (in a 25 foot deep quarry). You could see entrance from exit and vice versa, wasn't nervous in the least.

c figaro,

Could you post a dive report? I am considering a dive there soon.

I have personally been through all the boats at the Blue Lagoon. I think that as long as you feel comfortably in the water and have a buddy on the outside to render help if needed, then it is ok. You can see the exits at all times and it is fun. There are 4 boats that I know of in Lagoon #1. There is also an old wooden cooling tower that you can swim through. Hope you enjoy it.

Depends on your comfort level. It is considered a swimthrough since you can see an exit at all times and you are always with 130ft to the surface. Also, these boats have been sanitized for divers, so the entanglement risk is lower. However, never do anything you are uncomfortable with.

c_figaro:
do you guys think that its foolish to go inside one of those boats sitting on the bottom of the quary?

i was super tempted, but didn't do it, cause I thought I'd ask someone else first.

ALWAYS stay well within your training/experience level....and as pointed out above, within your 'comfort-risk' zone. I have dove all the boats at BL and they are pretty straight forward in terms of safety...though a few are starting to show signs of disrepair so be very cautious if entering them...and make sure you are on the same page as your dive buddy.

Make sure you wear gloves, one guy in my class got a good cut on a piece of metal. We enjoyed going through the boats, thought we were on top of the world! But then we went to Windy point for AOW, thought we were on top of the world (althought the vis was not as good as Blue Lagoon. Then three months later we went to Cozumel. I'm ruined for fresh water for life.

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom