The Blue Lagoon (Huntsville)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROUS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dove for the first time at The Blue Lagoon this week. It's just north of Huntsville and has a reputation for having pretty good visibility. Boy, did it deliver. There are actually two lakes there and they're old limestone quarries. The visibility in lake one was 30' + all morning. On 9/29, water temp was 82f and my deepest depth was 28'.

Here's the video I shot there: Blue Lagoon dive trip link

16.png
17.png

26.png
37.png

Wow, wish our local quarry looked like that!

Did my open water dives there in 1986.

That’s some excellent vis.

Obviously fresh water, but how was it in terms of things to look at/marine life/wrecks?

Obviously fresh water, but how was it in terms of things to look at/marine life/wrecks?
Like most inland lake dive venues, it's great for training but will never compete with Grand Cayman. However, if you want to dive with friends, work on skills, test gear, or just spend some time underwater, it's a good choice. The wrecks are okay and probably on par with other TX lake venues. On my dive in lake one, there was no plant life nor were there fish. There were, however, some pretty interesting rock formations. I liked the place. Divers here will probably experience some above-average lake visibility and get to meet some nice people.

Like most inland lake dive venues, it's great for training but will never compete with Grand Cayman. However, if you want to dive with friends, work on skills, test gear, or just spend some time underwater, it's a good choice. The wrecks are okay and probably on par with other TX lake venues. On my dive in lake one, there was no plant life nor were there fish. There were, however, some pretty interesting rock formations. I liked the place. Divers here will probably experience some above-average lake visibility and get to meet some nice people.
Thanks! That is a great description and gives me an accurate idea of what it might be like.

Back
Top Bottom