Advantages of Trimix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or just a lot more RB divers.
Safety of this by track record, over deep air, to be somewhat questionable for the "average Rb diver"...

This could make a great new thread for us all to argue about ad nauseum... "What is more likely to kill you....Deep Air or a Rebreather" ?

I'd argue you can become a competent RB diver on trimix at 300' much more easily than you can a deep air OC diver.

Safety of this by track record, over deep air, to be somewhat questionable for the "average Rb diver"...

This could make a great new thread for us all to argue about ad nauseum... "What is more likely to kill you....Deep Air or a Rebreather" ?

Not convinced that a RB is the answer to high cost of diving... you spend less money on helium and more on gear, training, other consumables and maintenance

But if you look at the numbers, in Oz, if you do a lot of deep hypoxic dives, the savings on gas will quickly cover the cost of equipment & consumables. Of course, that's relative to what you spend each year on diving.

On the other hand, if you want CCR for rec. air diving, you will never break even. Until unit costs come down somewhat, CCR is an expensive option for this sort of diving here.

I've done many dives on the same divespots with a max depth of 30-40m on ean32 over the summer and I felt I was lightly narced. Because I thought that oxygen was not narcotic (I didn't know back then that it is) I thought it would be much worse with air. Than I dived the same divespots on air and couldn't believe how much clearer I was on air. I never felt really comfortable in the 35-40m range on nitrox and the narced feeling was similar to one I have when I was diving in dark cold water and much deeper.

A few times I got the chance to dive the same divespots on air and went even deeper. Not only I was feeling better I noticed many details which didn't get attention in the past 10-15 dives at the same divespot.

I now believe from my own experience that nitrox is much more narcotic to me than air.

I just read this entire thread, and think everyone should. There is a lot of good information, animated discussion, and useful insight. Thank you to all the knowlegable posters. I am an air diver most of the time, with nitrox on occasion for long but shallower dive weeks. Now I am very interested in learning more about tri mix. Excellent thread.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom