Advanced / Tech St Thomas Wreck Diving From St Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Vixen

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I've lived here on St Croix for the last 10 years or so, and never been off the island for vacation. The island's cost of living and a paycheck that doesn't seem to take that into consideration is most to blame, I suppose, anyway, I was thinking it would be fun to dive the St Thomas wrecks for a week, and came here looking for dive op info.

What I discovered was that finally, I'm not the only one here from St Croix any more. That's the cool part.

What I also discovered, is that just like here, dive ops there, are geared towards the large vacation/recreational market, and the opportunities for advanced, technical, or rebreather local divers to dive to their skill and training levels, just aren't there. That's the not so cool part.

Blue Island divers still has the DSAT stuff on their website, but they show nothing about O2 fills or being rebreather friendly or anything else that would indicate any level of current "tech friendly" accomodations.

So instead of trying to plan a wreck week in St Thomas with a local dive op, I got to thinking about getting a small group of similar divers together and chartering a sailboat, maybe like the "Kindred Spirit" for a week of diving without the "you gotta be back on board in less than an hour", "If you go deeper than 100', you're surely gonna die", and the infamous wail, "You better not go in/down there" crap.

We could bring the kind of gear we need to do the dives we plan to do, and plan the dives we'd never get to do with the usual dive operators.

Is there anyone here interested in such a trip?

If so, let's see if we can make it happen...

Darlene

Sounds like a great idea. I'd love to come over for a week of deep wreck diving if it could be pulled together. I have always been suprised someone didn't open a tec centre in St Croix with those nice deep walls. That was where Bret Gilliam (founder of TDI) spent much of his diving career.

How about a 34' catamaran. If you can hold the trip off for a few months, I'll let you dive however you want. Are the deep wrecks moored down there, if not I'm going need some more rode.

Oh yeah, that's right, I'm going to need to get that USCG license first. :depressed:

Seriously, though, I am really thinking of moving down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom