Surface swim in St. Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cane Bay is a LONG swim out and back. You burn a lot of energy that would be better used for the actual dive. I preferred doing boat diving with Cane Bay dive shop in Christiansted. I stayed in Fredericksted and was so disappointed with the condition of the reef that I cancelled the remaining boat dives, hired a guide, and dived the pier day and night multiple times. It was great!
It seems most of the dive companies are available while we are there. Maybe we will dive the pier and then decide then if we want to try other dive locations or stay with the pier.

It seems most of the dive companies are available while we are there. Maybe we will dive the pier and then decide then if we want to try other dive locations or stay with the pier.
If you have extra room in your suitcase the two animal rescues Ruff Start STX and Cruzn Cats are in desperate need of stuff.

If you have extra room in your suitcase the two animal rescues Ruff Start STX and Cruzn Cats are in desperate need of stuff.
That is a great suggestion but unfortunately we do not have any room. We are only bringing a carry-on each and will be staying almost 2 weeks. I tend to be an over packer so this is not going to be easy! 😂

How was your trip to St. Croix? We were there in May and June. We snorkeled, but I did a last minute decision to do a Discover Scuba at Cane Bay with Russ at Sweet Bottom Dive Shop. It was FANTASTIC. My plan is to do my certification open water dives in St. Croix early next year and dive as much as possible. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn’t allow for it before then.

How was your trip to St. Croix? We were there in May and June. We snorkeled, but I did a last minute decision to do a Discover Scuba at Cane Bay with Russ at Sweet Bottom Dive Shop. It was FANTASTIC. My plan is to do my certification open water dives in St. Croix early next year and dive as much as possible. Unfortunately, the schedule doesn’t allow for it before then.
We had a great time! We weren’t necessarily there for diving, but we were able to do some. We did a two dive boat trip with St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures. We dove at Turquoise Bay and the West Wall in the Salt River Canyon. For me personally, they were two of my favorite dives I’ve ever done. There was no current, the visibility was excellent, and we got to see sharks, turtles, eels, and tons of beautiful fish! I don’t know if we just lucked out, but it was a great trip. We also dove the pier on our own. I personally thought that was just okay. That being said, we didn’t have much time so we probably rushed through it too much. Good luck on your certification, I hope it goes well! I feel like St. Croix is a great place to do it.

I've been going to St. Croix to dive since '07, it's fabulous! In talking about the long swim out to the wall at Cane Bay, no one mentioned the fact that if you drop down about 50 yards out, there's lots to see, you don't need to kick out all the way to the buoys.
Regarding the pier, I don't think I've ever had a dive there that I didn't see at least one octopus or seahorse. I've even seen three dolphins cruise by at the pier, not to mention frequent eagle rays, ALWAYS turtles, so many interesting juveniles...it's probably my favorite place to dive!

Back
Top Bottom