Advanced Open Water Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Requiring AOW is just silly considering that there are multiple definitions for AOW. Deep is generally consistent, so requiring that would make more sense on some dives. Requiring AOW makes no sense.
Agree. Why not just make OW training down to the recreational limit? Just add another day and a couple dives. Most folks do the AOW just so they can go dive these boats that require it even though it typically does not prepare one for the dives.

But we all know the answer... Revenue.

Pure, unsubstantiated, agency-bashing fantasy, promulgated by a small number of the same people on SB.
I have no problem with revenue. Revenue supports my family and pays for my diving. But, if you possibly think that this whole AOW is not simply a revenue generator, you have your head in the sand. What percentage of folks go on to pay for AOW and what percentage of folks pay for it just so they can do dive X and don't need or benefit very little from the "training"? Take that out of the revenue stream and you are losing millions.

Just train and let folks dive to the recreational limit with OW training and sell the other specialty classes for those that are interested.

Pure, unsubstantiated, agency-bashing fantasy, promulgated by a small number of the same people on SB.
Have you noticed that AOW is defended by even smaller number of people on SB none of whom can answer the question, how planning a 70 ft dive is different from planning a 50 ft dive?

Have you noticed that AOW is defended by even smaller number of people on SB none of whom can answer the question, how planning a 70 ft dive is different from planning a 50 ft dive?
It isn't, but planning a 100 foot dive is different than a 60 foot dive, at least it is for the way I teach it. The problem is that standards allow for a much shallower than 100 foot dive is allowed. So you could get your AOW with a deep dive to 61 feet (for any active PADI instructors, feel free to correct that by citing the standards which are not in front of me right now). I know a local instructor who did that for a student who was scared to dive deep.

I think that was a huge disservice to the student.

These certification criticism threads always pop up every 6 months or so.

As for me, I have no fundamental criticism of the OW & AOW courses I took thru PADI 15-20 years ago. Basically gave me enough skills to not kill myself diving. Was I a great diver afterwards? Not by a long shot.

Im not really expecting to get much more from 2 weeks & $300-400. Realistically, if I were to demand alot more, then I'd probably end up paying $1000/$2000 or more, and training over several months. I'm fine with quick and dirty (and cheap).

Someone called these certs a license to continue learning, and thats what I did, by going diving afterwards and becoming a better diver.

I wanted the cheapest quickest way to start diving and that's what I got. No real complaints.

Edit: My post has nothing to do with the OP, which sounds like some real problems, but we left the OP long ago in this thread.

Im not really expecting to get much more from 2 weeks & $300-400. Realistically, if I were to demand alot more, then I'd probably end up paying $1000/$2000 or more, and training over several months.
Two weeks? My OW was 3 days. Saturday morning was classroom, Saturday Afternoon Pool, Sunday 2 Quarry Dives less than 20 minutes each. Monday 2 Quarry Dives less than 20 minutes each. Sounds like a lot has changed in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom