Advanced class or a specialty class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of the other specialty courses are attainable by diving with experienced divers who are willing to hold your hand in the process.
You're neglecting the "privilege" cards - you know, the ones that let you do something if you have the card. Rentals (drysuit, DPV) or certain dives when on a charter (Solo). While you may get the skills by learning from other divers, without the card, you probably will not get the privilege you desire.

Ask your instructor after your AOW class and let him know you're interested in joining him on his next dive. If he says that he'll only dive with you when you pay him then its time to find another instructor or join a dive club where there's usually a member with plenty of experience.
That's a good standard. My wife's AOW instructor specifically told us, without being prompted, that we should give her a call if we want to dive some time - no charge, just a fun dive.

This is entirely untrue.

For many people, it boosts their sense of self-esteem and makes them feel good about themselves. A fee of only $50 or so to buy an MSD card is a lot cheaper than pills or a visit to a mental health professional.

That said, it is REALLY unfortunate that people are SO hung up about the word "advanced". It's also really not necessary.

By completing the AOW course:
  • your training has advanced
  • your diving skill level has (probably) advanced
  • the training you received was advanced, relative to the training received in the OW course.
  • your interest in diving has (probably) advanced
  • your diving experience has advanced
  • YOU have advanced
You have become a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver.

That does not imply that you have become an advanced diver - or even an experienced diver, in the general sense.

I dunno why people want to confuse the two.

Brilliantly put...

There's only three courses, in my opinion that every diver should take. OW, AOW and Nitrox.

I'd add Rescue to this . . . (And, of course, being me . . . Fundies!)

I'd add Rescue to this . . . (And, of course, being me . . . Fundies!)

EFR is another handy one...

I am taking the SSI AOW courses.Deep Diving,Nav,Boat,Night /Limited..(money wasnt a problem,I just wanted to do it for off season).So far I have done the Nav classroom,it was ok,learned something and wasnt just "given" the cert.I will be taking the other classroom lessons soon,I have read the books and watched the videos and what I can see,Boat diving.Night /Limited is a joke.The deep diving I'm not sure about yet,but seems to be some to learn from the book/videos and classroom.I have yet to do the the dives for each course(its cold),but when the weather is back,and we get to do the dives,I will be doing them with what seems to me to be a competent instructor,(already have nitrox).I wish I could have traded a couple of courses for others,but this is what his AOW is.The reason I say all this is about a comment earlier.After talking with the instructor,when we do the cert dives,he did say I was welcome to go diving with them whenever they went,no charge, except my air and usual expense.To me,,that will give more time with the instructor,at no charge,to pick his brain more,to get basically personal instruction.And yes,this will boost my self esteem,confidence and learning.But this is just me.I have read and been told,,dont take dry suite class if I have a friend that cant teach me,,,thats cool,but will probably take the class anyway,cause I want to.I have always been an education,classroom person,,some classes good,,some suck.I wish I could say why I like this instructor and we get along good,,,but that is in LDS bashing thread..But I did find a way to get along with an LDS withe respect to each other...ie....local purchase as opposed to online..No,,I;m not interested in haveing a pocket full of cards,but after all the reading,I am looking forward to the rescue class when I get up to that point.

P.S...also taking the SSI Equipment class...yea me...also,I think,another one of "those" classes..but who knows.I might just learn something that will be of value later on....So,when I get done with all these classes and have the dives,,and c cards,,,,,,when I get ready for Rescue,,,HAVE i got some questions for yall

(1) Oh yay, another MSD is worthless / no it isn't debate. We can never have enough of those.
There is no debate. It is worthless.

True.

Amanda, as you can see there are alot of opions here, but to answer your question if you can hold a nurse shark next to your body and give it a bear-hug you are ready for AOW class.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom