Adobe CS2 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so the only way - apart from using DNG - is to go for CS3?? that is robbery!!!
To be fair to Adobe they haven't caused the problem - it's Canon who've introduced a new standard. You can't expect Adobe to make their products future-proof.

at least the can provide a plug-in or a patch!

I was really just wondering whether Lightroom offered some form of future proofing ie are later versions just a free upgrade of the one you have ? Instead of having to buy an upgrade. Dunno.

CS2 isn't useless with the G9 or 40D files, you simply have to be willing to work in a format it understands. Here are two very easy ways:

1) convert your RAW files to DNG and work on those. You can google to find out more about DNG format. I don't even keep my Canon RAWs, I simply import as DNG and I'm good to go.

2) use Lightroom to import your files and then export as your chosen format - DNG, TIFF, JPEG. This will keep your camera's native RAW files and give you a copy you can work on in whatever program you choose.

Adobe is in business to make money so expect to pay for certain upgrades. They do offer a lot of upgrades for very little usually. CS3 was a huge jump for them and they did charge for it. No one knows what will happen when Lightroom 2 is released, but you might want to get yourself the Beta version because they often offer significant discounts to those who have Betas.

1) convert your RAW files to DNG and work on those. You can google to find out more about DNG format. I don't even keep my Canon RAWs, I simply import as DNG and I'm good to go.

if this is the case; have you any idea how much details preserved/lost in the conversion?

LOL....
tried & here comes the output :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Attachments

• dng_err.JPG
    dng_err.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 33
Sorry, I use Lightroom (coz I hated Bridge/ACR in Photoshop anyway) so can't help more.

You might want to check out Lightroom's free trial at Adobe

Lightroom has cut my work time and made things just oh so much easier for me...

my sincere thanks anyway; I am thinking towards lightroom as mentioned.

To be fair to Adobe they haven't caused the problem - it's Canon who've introduced a new standard. You can't expect Adobe to make their products future-proof.

They may not be able to future proof products, but they could make things backward compatible, and it would be rather easy I think. They would just have to release new camera models for maybe the entire CS line. I seriously doubt this would cost Adobe much, but they are looking for profit, not support. I'm sure the marketing folks feel that this is in OUR best interest by forcing people to spend money to stay current with Adobe!

Adobe is hardly the only software company doing this.

Back
Top Bottom