Adjusting weight for new exposure gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So as per my previous post I usually dive warm. I do not need much weight and with the rig I dive with (DSS BP/W) the BP is enough to make me neutral (if not a bit negative) at <500psi in an AL80 in 15ft of water when I am in rash guard and trunks. Works well for me. When I did dive wet in north Florida I only needed 8lbs for a 3mm full with 5/3 hooded vest (and AL80). I am not sure how much I want to use that number though since I was diving a Balance BCD at the time and not my DSS BP/W.

I recently picked up a Henderson Aqualock setup so I can do more local dives. Full 7mm suit with 5mm accessories (Boots, gloves, hood). I am just curious if anyone knows a formula to help me approximate what weight I might need. Last time I dove a 7mm was my OW and I was carrying waaaay too much weight.

I am going diving this Saturday to zero it in but am just curious how many of which weights to bring. An approximation will help with that. Thanks.

Last edited:
10% body weight + 3-5 lbs ball park, and formal weight check to confirm.

I'm about 5' 5" and 136 lbs. I dive 20 lbs, occasional 22 lbs in 7mm, hood, gloves, booties.

I doubt you'd need more than 20. It sounds like you need a bit LESS weight that I do and with my AL backplate with stainless STA (together about the same weight as a full stainless plate) 7mm full suit/gloves/boots/hood, I use 18 lbs and, based on the first local dive of this year, I can likely drop at least 2 of them.

I always put new neoprene in a pool with a mesh bag attached that I fill with lead weights until it sinks. Then I adjust my weights accordingly with confidence.

I always put new neoprene in a pool with a mesh bag attached that I fill with lead weights until it sinks. Then I adjust my weights accordingly with confidence.

Hmm, now that is an idea.

---------- Post added ----------

I doubt you'd need more than 20. It sounds like you need a bit LESS weight that I do and with my AL backplate with stainless STA (together about the same weight as a full stainless plate) 7mm full suit/gloves/boots/hood, I use 18 lbs and, based on the first local dive of this year, I can likely drop at least 2 of them.

I went and checked my dive log. When I dove with a dry suit for my AOW* I only needed 18lbs. Perhaps I should start a bit lower and start trimming.

*I did AOW immediately after OW so I was still a very new diver, and added in dry suit, and had a Balance BCD. 18lbs still worked for me. Perhaps I should start at 16lbs then and see if I can go down more at ~500psi.

Last edited:
I am 5"10 and 180 lbs, I also dive with the same rig and use a henderson single layer 7mm suit. I use 7lbs on my left side and 5lbs on my right side(I also have a 13 cubic foot pony on my right side)So i have 13 lbs of ditchable weight. I am also using apollo bio fins with spring straps (also slightly negative)

OK, so an update: I managed to do two dives yesterday. First off, man I miss warm water diving. Anyways, I started with 18lbs and that was too much so I dropped to 16lbs. Even at 16lbs I was pretty negative requiring air in my wing at 15ft with a near empty tank. So next time I go I will once again drain my tank to ~500psi and try out 14lbs and see if I can keep neutral at 15ft with no air in my wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom