Adjusting Trim w/ New Set of Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be setting up new doubles for an upcoming basic cave class. the doubles are OMS LP98's and I will be using a DR Classic Dual Bladder wing and AL plate. I'm diving wet for right now.

I'm going to be doing some check-out dives in my lake (0-10') to try and get some initial trim issues worked out.

Does anyone have some general rules of thumb when setting up a BPW/Doubles for the first time with regards to where to position the bands on the tanks, which hole in the wing to use, etc? I understand basic principals of moving the weight around a pivot point, but just looking for some suggested starting points.

Thanks,

John

98's are pretty short and Fabers are tail-light to begin w/. Are you diving wet or dry? That will make a difference. If you are diving wet, I would start w/ the middle holes on the Classic wing, and put the bands all the way up (just below the curve towards the neck). If dry, I would add a 2-3 lb tail weight to the plate. You may also need to move to the bottom set of holes in the wing. I have no idea what your dimensions are so you'll need to play with it, but this is a safe starting place.

Make it so you error on the side of being head up out of trim. Being head down just sucks! That is basically what battles2a5 is saying.

I'm diving wet, 5'11" tall, 215 lbs and like long walks on the beach :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I pick up the tanks and wing tommorow and I'll give it a try late this week or this weekend.

John

I dive OMS/faber lp98's with a SS backplate and Rec wing.
I am 5'11" and 208#'s on a good day.
Diving wet (7mm farmer John)in fresh water I use a 4# weight belt, and a 1-1/2# weight on the manifold cross bar.
I have the bands just below the top curve on the tanks, and have the rec wing moved down/ used the top hole on the wing.
So you could start out with about 8#'s on a belt , and go from there.
This set up trims out real nice for me.

Good luck, Jim Breslin

Jim,

Thanks for the input, I'm picking up the tanks and my new wing this afternoon and will be doing some practice dives in the lake this weekend.

How's the Haigh Quarry these days? I have fond memories of the cold water and the low vis in the pit and was grateful for your hospitality. Hope to one day get back up that way.

Thanks,

John

I'm diving wet, 5'11" tall, 215 lbs and like long walks on the beach :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I pick up the tanks and wing tommorow and I'll give it a try late this week or this weekend.

John

I too enjoy long walks on the beach, but not with a set of Fabers on my back :)

Good luck w/ the set-up. Be patient and only change one thing at a time when making adjustments.

Just picked up the tanks and wing this afternoon. Looking forward to playing with this stuff, but have to take care of some other business so I won't get to it until Friday after work. Of course then I'm dealing w/ the daily FL afternoon thunderstorms.

I'm think about having my 15 YO daughter as a spotter when I first test this out, in case I become a dirt dart. Will only be in 5-6' water at first, but thinking about tying a rope onto my 4 wheeler and tell her if the bubbles stop moving for more than 10 minutes, just yank me out w/ the 4 wheeler. No big rush though, two LP 98's w/ cave fill are going to last a LOOOOONNNGGG time at 8' deep :)

John

If you can't get out in those depth you need more help than your daughter. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom