Adjusting Seals on Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same problem with my Bare Nexgen awhile ago. I stretched them over some soup cans for a week and it didn't make a difference. You'll need to get them replaced for about $75 at Bare or trim them little by little (also recommended by Bare). Bare said that although they are bottle design, it might relieve some stress. It won't make the opening any bigger but it'll be less tight. Please note only trim them if you can afford to replace them.

I was thinking of trimming mine and worse case scenario is that I wouldn't be able to use wet gloves anymore. That didn't really matter to me as I dive with SI-Tech drygloves. In the end, I sold my Bare Nexgen and got a Bare HD Trilam.

One thing I experienced with Bare Nexgens is that they have a weird bilam material. Normal contact cement, Aquaseal, etc don't adhere to the suit very well. Bare said they RF weld and stitch the wrist seals onto the suit. PB-300 is said to work on it but I haven't personally tried it.

Try talking to LP or send the drysuit back to Bare to get it fixed. Have you called Bare customer service? They're pretty responsive.

Online Air Fill & VIP Service [Archive] - ScubaBoard23 posts - 13 authors - Last post: 23 Dec 2009
Internet air fills and online VIP: You must be at least AOW to access :stirpot: I passed the VIP, where does my Tank Sticker come from! ...
Online Air Fill & VIP Service [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Cached

FWIW, I did check in advance to make sure LP is an authorized Bare dealer before buying. But if the seals need to be replaced, I agree it's more trouble than it's worth, unless I do it myself as a previous post suggests. If I can't stretch them, I will probably attempt to do them myself. The worst case scenario is that I "f" it up and have to mail it to them anyway.

The size of my wrist seals is not a warranty issue. It's a size issue. Most people who fit a size small suit don't take large wrist seals. I happen to be one of them. So I'll have to deal with it.

I get my air fills onsite where I dive. I'm not sure what you were getting at. Are you suggesting that the price of service is to pay through the nose for list, in exchange for air fills? We aren't talking pennywise pound foolish here...isn't it pound foolish to pay 50% more consistently on every item, just in case the stuff has a problem?

With my drysuit purchase I received a complete measuring and a guarantee that if it did not fit or I did not like it, they would put it into rental stock and work on whatever I did want or need. They trimmed the seals for me and checked the fit. Gave me pool time with instructors and DM's and as much pool practice as I want.

With my BP/W they adjusted the harness several times, designed and made a custom crotch strap, and designed and made a custom attachment straps for two Scubapro weight pockets. All for nothing, including the pockets.

With my fins, they swapped them for another pair when I complained that they were too loose in the pool as my foot was not fully inserting into the pocket.

With the fin springs, they cut them to fit again at no charge.

I walked into the shop many years ago with a snapped Scubapro fin, they replaced the pair on the spot.

At another time, I came in with a Scubapro BC that was leaking on a seam. They new I was preparing for a trip in just 10 days. They went into the stock and came out with a box that had the newest years model. They said SP does not repair them, they replace them and we will take care of it for you - again, no charge.

These are just some of the things my LDS has done for me along with getting ScubaPro to cover things like a computer way out of warranty.

This argument has been lamented on in the past, LDS vs mail order/internet. If everyone went mail order, shops would all close and then no more air, service, inspections, repairs etc or classes. They don't make a profit from those things, they provide them for their customers so they will shop there - which is where they make profit.

Again most LDS would throw in a free specialty class(most charge $200-$300., for this course) and the seal problem would have been a non issue.Most LDS can replace latex wrist seals easily in house and no need too send back to manufacturer..after all said and done ,including shipping what would have been the true difference in cost if you purchased it at a LDS and they included a course and access to their pool ANY TIME for no charge as we do? Looks like cost difference is none. What is lost is service that you could have certainly used for this product and possible access to a pool at no charge.
If a customer came in and wanted to price match from an authorized dealer, we will be happy to price match.No problem with that.You get the same deal from us as you would from the online vendor,no more,no less..
But with a price match sale, if seals came in sized wrong from manufacturer due to customer having wrists that did not match suit size we would replace seals in house at a minimal charge.At our standard sale pricing we would replace seals at no charge,and again include a free dry suit speciality and access to our indoor heated pool at no charge whenever you want it..
Of course the specialty course, nor free access to pool will not be included in price match sale.

FWIW, I think your attitude is an exception at least compared with all the shops I've been to around my corner of the world. The LDS I deal with (including my divemaster training) is not interested in getting into price wars with online dealers. I approached him in advance before I even made this purchase. I was told the price and it was list. It would be nice if it were really a full service shop, but it's not. There's no seals being replaced there, only bench checks of regs and BCDs, routine repairs. Nothing with dry suits. The nearest shop to me that gets into that sort of thing is 20+ miles away. No "free specialty course" and the only reason I have access to a pool is because I'm assisting in OW classes. I'm not complaining, it is what it is. But if you think "most people" operate the way you describe above, I question it. Admittedly, I haven't been all over the country looking at how dive shops operate. But, I have yet to walk into one in my area that is willing to price match with Leisure Pro or Scuba Toys. They curse them, but they aren't willing to bend.

I had the same problem with my Bare Nexgen awhile ago. I stretched them over some soup cans for a week and it didn't make a difference. You'll need to get them replaced for about $75 at Bare or trim them little by little (also recommended by Bare). Bare said that although they are bottle design, it might relieve some stress. It won't make the opening any bigger but it'll be less tight. Please note only trim them if you can afford to replace them.

I was thinking of trimming mine and worse case scenario is that I wouldn't be able to use wet gloves anymore. That didn't really matter to me as I dive with SI-Tech drygloves. In the end, I sold my Bare Nexgen and got a Bare HD Trilam.

One thing I experienced with Bare Nexgens is that they have a weird bilam material. Normal contact cement, Aquaseal, etc don't adhere to the suit very well. Bare said they RF weld and stitch the wrist seals onto the suit. PB-300 is said to work on it but I haven't personally tried it.

Try talking to LP or send the drysuit back to Bare to get it fixed. Have you called Bare customer service? They're pretty responsive.

Everything I've read suggests attempting to actually stretch latex wrist seals is BS; it returns to its original shape in a relatively short time. Ditto with trying to replace seals on this bilaminate material...it doesn't help a DIY job to have bonding issues requiring special cement. It's becoming pretty clear I'm better off sending it to Bare and having the seals done so they fit me correctly.

Everything I've read suggests attempting to actually stretch latex wrist seals is BS; it returns to its original shape in a relatively short time. Ditto with trying to replace seals on this bilaminate material...it doesn't help a DIY job to have bonding issues requiring special cement. It's becoming pretty clear I'm better off sending it to Bare and having the seals done so they fit me correctly.

Exactly! That's what I read and experienced. You can always trim the wrist seals and leave about an inch for the new wrist seals to adhere. That way, you can use Aquaseal or contact cement.

If you are going to send it to Bare, you might as well try trimming the latex seals to relieve the stress and see if that would help. If it doesn't, then no loss as you're going to replace it anyway.

Do you have a pocket? If not, ask Bare to put one on. It's well worth it. They'll actually stitch and glue it on. Much better than your local LDS glueing it on and then falling off a few months later.

Exactly! That's what I read and experienced. You can always trim the wrist seals and leave about an inch for the new wrist seals to adhere. That way, you can use Aquaseal or contact cement.

If you are going to send it to Bare, you might as well try trimming the latex seals to relieve the stress and see if that would help. If it doesn't, then no loss as you're going to replace it anyway.

Do you have a pocket? If not, ask Bare to put one on. It's well worth it. They'll actually stitch and glue it on. Much better than your local LDS glueing it on and then falling off a few months later.

Stretching hasn't worked at all (hot water dip with cans inside, allowing to cool). Have any of you guys reading this actually trimmed your bottleneck wrist seals? If so, about how much length did you leave behind that sealed but still achieved some relief? I realize everyone's wrists are different sizes...mine are 7" circumference. I understand I need to cut straight and avoid nicks/waves that would create a tear point. Any tips before I break out the blade would be appreciated.

FWIW, I think your attitude is an exception at least compared with all the shops I've been to around my corner of the world. The LDS I deal with (including my divemaster training) is not interested in getting into price wars with online dealers. I approached him in advance before I even made this purchase. I was told the price and it was list. It would be nice if it were really a full service shop, but it's not. There's no seals being replaced there, only bench checks of regs and BCDs, routine repairs. Nothing with dry suits. The nearest shop to me that gets into that sort of thing is 20+ miles away. No "free specialty course" and the only reason I have access to a pool is because I'm assisting in OW classes. I'm not complaining, it is what it is. But if you think "most people" operate the way you describe above, I question it. Admittedly, I haven't been all over the country looking at how dive shops operate. But, I have yet to walk into one in my area that is willing to price match with Leisure Pro or Scuba Toys. They curse them, but they aren't willing to bend.

You may be correct on our attitude is an "exception"...The facility I teach out of is the largest in the area.Only one in the NYC metro area with its own indoor heated pool.There are several other LDS within a 30-45 minute drive from us and we have many more classes running than the 3 nearest LDS put together do.Located in Yonkers NY , full service facility from entry level to tech.Owner willing to price match any other authorized U.S. dealer price..
I taught at a nearby facility in the Bronx for a long time, owner there unwilling to price match,I feel bad for him,I have known him since he was a kid and I was one of his original OW instructors, I had to leave because of loyality issues that were not shown to me. I still do not know how it still has the door open.When I left them I was owed alot of $$$$..taking forever to get what is owed to me,still owes me over $5,000, and this is like 3 years ago.He only pays me back a couple of hundred every 4-5 months.Always has excuses.. The LDS I am at now makes me feel appreciated, pays me on time,every time and at a higher rate!

....... Any tips before I break out the blade would be appreciated.

Good scissors, not a "blade".

Good scissors, not a "blade".

OK, I have a brand new pair of titanium scissors used for the neck seal. Any thoughts about length? Current length of the cuff is 2 inches. These aren't tapered at all, so it may be a moot attempt. Right now it feels like a giant rubber band cutting off circulation. I'm sorely tempted to have permanent Sitech rings installed, so I can either change out seals at will, or use dry gloves if I feel like it. That wouldn't feel like throwing good money after bad.

Back
Top Bottom