Adjusting a mechanically balanced 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaNSun

Reaction score
I have a mechanically balanced 2nd stage, Oceanic delta II, and trying to learn a good way to adjust its cracking pressure. Is the orifice adjustment still important since I have the diver's adjustable knob to play with? Do you adjust the orifice so that it free flows a bit and then fine tune with the knob? Any info is appreciated!
Thanks.

I wrote up a fairly concise explanation of how to tune a balanced adjustable second stage in this post located in the Edge/HOG manufacturer's forum. You'll want to be sure to push in the purge button as you adjust the orifice to avoid cutting the LP seat with the knife edge.

The very first step in tuning a second stage is to make sure that the first stage is delivering the desired IP. Specs for this should be listed in the manufacturer's reg tech manual. A very common recommended IP is 140 ± 5 psi. You'll need an IP gauge to check this. You really shouldn't be tuning a second stage until the IP is verified. You're setting yourself up for failure if you skip this step. The first stage might require an overhaul/repair/tuning first.

I highly recommend that you download the reg tech manual for the Oceanic Delta II and study the tuning section in its entirety before attempting to tune it yourself. Reg tech manuals can be found on this site.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom