Adjustable Harness/Quick Release Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The main goal behind all this is to easily tighten the shoulders while she is wearing it. Dive Rite and Hollis use 1.5" softer webbing for the adjustable portion on their harness. Standard BCD's look like they use seat belt webbing. Oxycheq is using standard stiff 2" webbing throughout. It does not easily slide through, making adjustment a 2 handed operation that cannot be done while wearing it.

The weight buckle on the shoulder option mimics the quick release, but does nothing for adjustment of the shoulders.

We are warm water recreational divers. Don't see too many divers using crotch straps. I use one. It doesn't bother me when people look at me funny. But I can understand her concerns. A crotch strap is not exactly the most feminine thing.

I've considered trying some softer webbing for my hog harness. I could use serrated tri-glides for the D-rings. I typically dive in a rash guard for warm water.

Scubatoys used to have some softer webbing that is kind of like the stuff you see on vintage set ups. Strapworks has a big selection of webbing.

Scubatoys used to have some softer webbing that is kind of like the stuff you see on vintage set ups. Strapworks has a big selection of webbing.

I checked out Strapworks after doing a little research here on SB. They sell quick release buckles and several different kinds of 2" webbing. I just sent them an email asking what kind of 2" webbing to use.

Halcyon sells a nylon webbing that's a little thinner and more flexible than the usual stuff. I haven't found it elsewhere, although I'm sure somebody sells it. You do NOT want to use other materials -- I have used polypro for crotch straps, and it doesn't hold hardware well at all. In addition, if shoulder straps aren't somewhat stiff, they roll up and twist when you try to get into the gear.

I hear what you're saying about some webbing being too soft. I remember my 1st BCD had what I think was thin seatbelt webbing. I do recall sometimes it would get all twisted even twisted in the buckles.

A few people have stated they have had good luck with flat heavyweight uncoated nylon. I just ordered some from Strapworks for 69 cents a foot. I also ordered heavyweight poly. The poly was only 27 cents a foot. I made sure both were the heavyweight webbing close in thickness to stiff scuba webbing.

Let's call it a cheap experiment that if it works great, if not, I'll have some webbing to use for misc. stuff like duffle bag straps, cinch straps, etc..

I wonder if the Halcyon cinch system would work on an Oxycheck backplate. I think it would be a solution to the problem, that is, if the slots and mounting holes on the backplate line up.

I wonder if the Halcyon cinch system would work on an Oxycheck backplate. I think it would be a solution to the problem, that is, if the slots and mounting holes on the backplate line up.

Maybe, but does the Halcyon cinch system work well with stiffer webbing ? I've never dove a Halcyon BP/W, but everyone says the Halcyon webbing is softer. The softer webbing has to make the shoulder to waist transition and sliding through the cinch mechanism easier.

Maybe, but does the Halcyon cinch system work well with stiffer webbing ? I've never dove a Halcyon BP/W, but everyone says the Halcyon webbing is softer. The softer webbing has to make the shoulder to waist transition and sliding through the cinch mechanism easier.

hmmm, I have never heard that Halcyon webbing is softer before. I know someone with a Dive Rite BP/W and I think my Halcyon webbing is about the same stiffness.

Obviously the cinch works with the webbing that comes with a Halcyon backplate, just not sure how the webbing compares to yours.

Have you looked into the Agir harpa loop to keep a one-piece harness that can be easily adjusted? Lot of people seem to like it and supposed to work much smoother than the halcyon cinch. Plus it works on any backplate, not just halcyon.

Backplate Acc.

hmmm, I have never heard that Halcyon webbing is softer before. I know someone with a Dive Rite BP/W and I think my Halcyon webbing is about the same stiffness.

Obviously the cinch works with the webbing that comes with a Halcyon backplate, just not sure how the webbing compares to yours.

The Halcyon cinch looks similar to other manufactures systems that allow tightening the waist to tighten the shoulders. My Oxycheq soft plate works that way. My webbing is very stiff and it takes a very good tug to pull it through the transition piece. Especially on the 1st dive when everything is dry.

My wife is only 112 pounds. I'm trying to make things easier for her so she can gear up without me. I don't mind helping her, but she wants to be able to do it herself.

Back
Top Bottom