Adios Texas, Hello Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Paul and Ann,

Have been keeping up with your post on the board on your 6 week stay in the Bay Islands area. Would love to some day spend such a trip. I will just have to settle with my one week at CCV in May this year. I am also scheduled to go back in October 22nd -29th this year also. Well folks take care and willstay in touch with your saga posts.

Capt. Randy

Yesterday we had an invite to dive with the Deep Blue Resort, an all inclusive operation affiliated with Deep Blue Divers. It is the newest AI on Utila and as such it is beautiful...on the beach, trees and winding paths through the property.

There were nine dives on the boat, a very large dive boat. First dive was a drift dive at Joshua's Wash...a site on the north side of the island. Dive profile was 70' max for 1hr 4min. Drifted to the west. Beautiful dive laced with canyons, channels and many small caves, etc. Spotted marays, nudi's, many varieties of snapper and grouper, one VERY LARGE dog snapper coming in and out of one of the caves. Large barracuda and all the resident critters.

Surface interval was spent looking for whale sharks. We were lucky, and as far as I know yesterday we were the only boat to have divers in the water with whale sharks. It has been a few weeks since we last had some here. We saw two and were able to get some video and digital stills. I think the video will probably be the better of the two.

We made a second dive late in the day and the sun had become so low that viz was hampered. It was a good dive but a little tame after the morning's activity. We did see one very large 'cuda in an ambush mode all cammoed and darked out. He kept a close eye on my strobe diffuser....so I put it out of sight....after shooting him....with my camera.

We're trying to mentally prepare for a departure next week...Parrot, we're still not bored and have some more fun in the sun left in us.

Regards,

Paul, glad to hear your not trying to fight the barracudas with your face again :wink: Only a few more sunsets in paradise before you have to come back to real world. It has been a short 6 weeks following you around the Bay Islands but have really enjoyed it. Hope you have fair winds and calm seas for the rest of your trip.

Cudabait,

Sounds like you had a great trip this time. Thanks for the updates and all. Did you ever make it over to Roatan and CoCo View resort and dive with them? I joined LF's dive club the other day. So hope to see you at one of their meetings soon. If you wind up with a slide show from your trip to Utila maybe some day you could come to a BAD meeting and give us a presention. Give me a shout when you come down back to earth from Utila and lets see what you can come up with.

Take Care,
capt10randy

Hey Cudabait, I had to read through all your posts and was able to relive some of my own vacation a little. It was great meeting you and Ann. I had a long but safe trip back and was glad to see the family waiting for me at the airport, except Erin of course. I guess I am going to make it back to Utila next week, Mar 24. I cant wait. Maybe I will see my Whale Shark this time. I do want to see the pics again and show hubby. Let me know where we can find them. Thanks

Wednesday,shortly after daylight we found ourselves in tank tops and shorts waiting for the puddle jumper to take us off Utila. We could hear the small plane approach before we could see it. It was on time. Some hours later, via La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula, we found ourselves in Houston and had changed into long pants, warm shirts and jackets because it was windy and cold!

The last few days were spent doing at least two dives a day. Usually doing an early dive on the north side, surface interval looking for whale sharks and dolphin, and a second dive on the south side. Three days before we left we found a new ice cream place on the island. Good thing we didn't find it the first day there!

We've managed to return with topside photos, Cayos Cochinos included; two DVD's of dives in February and March...each including whale shark footage. Additionally, I downloaded a lot of UW digitals into my laptop and will put them into some presentable format. I'll try to get some of this stuff somewhere for viewing. Bear in mind that I do not shoot for National Geographic......I could make myself available if they were so inclined.Hehe.

It has been great spending the last six weeks in Utila, seeing old friends and diving our booties off. It was great to see family at the airport and we're glad to be back in Texas!! I may be a little slow about getting the photos up, but I will. Thanks for the interest and PM's. No, we didn't get bored.....only glitch.... turned the water back on upon returning home....hot water heater leaking and fried. Good thing I turned the water off. Now I gotta get rready to play a couple of dances with my buds this weekend. Hope to see some of you real soon.

Regards,

Cudabait:
We've managed to return with topside photos, Cayos Cochinos included; two DVD's of dives in February and March...each including whale shark footage. Additionally, I downloaded a lot of UW digitals into my laptop and will put them into some presentable format. I'll try to get some of this stuff somewhere for viewing. Bear in mind that I do not shoot for National Geographic......I could make myself available if they were so inclined.Hehe.

Regards,

Hello cudabait,

I would love to have you come to the Bay Area Divers general meeting some day and give us a photo presentation on yours and A..'s trip to Utila. I am looking for someone to give BAD a presentation on Aug. 31st or Sept. 28th. Give me a ring some day and lets talk about the opportunity of this event. Sounds like you 2 had a wonderful trip and would love to see your footage. If I am not off shore for the next Lunar Fins meeting I will see you there.

Take Care ,
Capt. Randy

Back
Top Bottom