Adios Batteries, Meds and Cosmetics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though in compliance with US TSA

As noted elsewhere in the thread, TSA is a United States agency. Nothing to do with Mexico.

Last August a friend of ours was stopped and told her plastic bag containing her 3 oz. meds/etc. was too big. They sent her back to buy a smaller plastic bag from one of the stores outside the seating area. It wasn't because she had a lot of little bottles, just that the bag was too big.

I've had the very same thing happen to me, but only in Boston.

I dont understand why someone would need their epi pen for a 4 hour flight out of winter...where are the bees coming from on our flight?

Right. Because every severe allergic reaction is to bees. Nobody's allergic to peanuts, for example, and nobody ever takes peanut butter cookies for their kids on planes and nobody's out-of-control toddlers ever smear their hands over other passengers' faces.

Seriously, anyone who has a known anaphylactic reaction to any reasonably common allergen for which they have an epinephrine injector but who travels without one is playing Russian Roulette.

I've run into all sort of "security" silliness in various parts of the world. Grumbling about it makes no difference, nor does the fact that for the most part it's senseless. Expecting life to make sense just makes people miserable.

It's actually pretty easy to check what the rules in Cozumel are: ASUR > Airports > Cozumel > Travel Tips then click on the Prohibited Items and Permitted Items tabs. It turns out those specify that camera, phone, and computer batteries are permitted, but the signs in the airport 2 weeks ago did specify that batteries were prohibited in carry-on. They may not be counting loose AA's or C-cells as belonging to cameras, phones, or computers. If you really need to travel back to the US with batteries, it could conceivably help to print out the current lists.

I've never had anything confiscated in Mexico, but the only batteries in my carry-on heading home are in my computer and phone. I tend to want in my carry-on heading to the island those items critical for diving. That includes spare dive computer batteries. On the way home, carry-on only includes expensive stuff (cameras, dive computers). The lights can go in check-through with their batteries on the way home.

I definitely recommend traveling with medications in carry-on but in original labeled bottles. For any controlled substances I think a copy of the prescription (a printout from the pharmacy works well) is a good idea. The only time I can think of a patient every having meds confiscated anywhere was a benzodiazepine when entering Jamaica. The pills were in an unlabeled bottle.

I'm with those who doubt the security staff want anyone's used cosmetics, flat batteries, half-consumed soda, or mysterious medications. They're just trying to enforce relatively nonsensical rules the best they can.

If you really want to be amused and outraged at the same time, follow what the TSA does domestically every day. My recent favorite is the woman who was forbidden to travel with EMPTY breast milk bottles but was allowed through once she pumped some milk into each one. A close second was the group of uniformed US soldiers armed with automatic weapons who had a nail clipper confiscated but were cheerfully allowed to keep enough tools of mayhem to kill everyone in the area.

In December, we were told before check-in, that only 4 batteries were allowed in carry on baggage. They had us put the rest in our checked baggage.

Did they tell you that in Cozumel?

bhalah,

In the check in line in Coz.

hmmm...so batteries in unopened packages should be checked in the luggage then? Any good solution?
Batteries in checked bags! I know the TSA site says carry-on, and that might be okay leaving the US, but not leaving other countries. This has been happening for years in some countries. There is really no rule against having not-lithium batteries in checked bags as long as they are packed safely.

And I buy alkaline batteries for like 3 or 4 for $1, depending on sizes, so not only do I not like shopping after arrival, I don't want to pay island prices. I take a lot of rechargeables too, and like to bring them home!

My bag of cosmetics and shampoo was confiscated in Baton Rouge because I put the stuff in a gallon sized bag instead of the quart size. All the bottles inside were small travel sized. Not worth arguing with TSA.
I've heard of this before. Dave mentioned the problem here. It's like "What part of quart do you not understand?"

Cozumel is in MEXICO, not the US. They get to set the rules for flights from their airports. It's pretty easy in Cozumel to know what you can and can't take in the cabin. There's a display case before you enter the security check line. It pretty clearly shows what you cannot take in your carry-on. If you haven something you shouldn't then go back and check it, or toss it. If it's that big a deal to you, ask at the check-in counter about items you plan to carry-on, or go check out the display before you get in line to check your bags. Really not that tough or that big a deal.

You can take duty free liquid items purchased at the airport in your carry-on on the flight to the US, but if you are connecting within the US, TSA rules apply on your connection and that liquid has to go in checked luggage since you did not buy it within the "secured area" of a US airport.

If you want to make sure every flight you take abides by whatever the current TSA rules are, then fly only within the US. Bring your print outs and argue all you want. If you leave the country, toss the TSA info and follow whatever the local airport asks of you.
Yep. They do have to inspect flights to the US within TSA standards, but it's their call how.

It would help if someone photographed and posted said list of bad items. I go carry-on only so there is no placing items in checked luggage.
I posted a couple last summer... coz warning 2.JPGcoz warning.jpg Batteries were not listed, but this has been discussed her on the Coz forum many times. Carry-on batteries often vanish.

some of us can be in a bad way with spiders too...... better safe than dead...
If I had a need for the med, it would go where I went - period. It's always legal.

My wife had to give up her ankle weights when we flew out of LAX a couple of months ago. Her checked bag was at the limit so she had grabbed the weights and a couple of other things and moved them to her carry-on. This wasn't a problem when we flew out of Sacramento but on the return trip from LA it was.
See above pics. They don't get involved in soft vs hard. The current rules is no weights.

If I may be permitted a minor hijack:

I noticed a lot of people talking in this thread about alkaline batteries. Leaving the Cozumel problem out of the equation, please consider using rechargeable batteries whenever possible. There are very good AA AAA and other size rechargeable batteries out there at reasonable prices. All those non-rechargeable batteries end up in landfills and oceans after a short time and all the metals and chemicals that leak out of them are not a good thing. Rechargeable batteries will end up in the same places eventually but in far less numbers. Batteries like Eneloops will save you money and reduce pollution, so it is really a win-win.

Sorry for the hijack and the tree-hugging interruption.

treehugger-going-green.jpg
If I may be permitted a minor hijack:

I noticed a lot of people talking in this thread about alkaline batteries. Leaving the Cozumel problem out of the equation, please consider using rechargeable batteries whenever possible. There are very good AA AAA and other size rechargeable batteries out there at reasonable prices. All those non-rechargeable batteries end up in landfills and oceans after a short time and all the metals and chemicals that leak out of them are not a good thing. Rechargeable batteries will end up in the same places eventually but in far less numbers. Batteries like Eneloops will save you money and reduce pollution, so it is really a win-win.

Sorry for the hijack and the tree-hugging interruption.

2542547680106861743S500x500Q85.jpg

I find all of this permitted and not permitted stuff interesting if not confusing. We just returned from CZM yesterday (had a great time - again). Before we departed the US, I checked the "latest" restrictions posted by TSA. After some research, it seemed that lithium batteries were suspect but, after inquiry, was told to transport in original packaging (to eliminate the possibility of the battery terminals contacting). I needed batteries for cameras and dive lights. So...I took 6 AA alkaline batteries and taped them side-to-side with masking tape, packaged AA lithium, and 2 sets of 6 AAA alkaline taped side-to-side. I put the lithium AA in the checked bag along with AA alkaline. I put AA alkaline and AAA alkaline in the carry-on bag along with the regulators/computers and clothing. Upon departure from PHL, the TSA attendant manning the carry-on scanner went ballistic when viewing my bag and immediately called for the site supervisor. The supervisor arrived and said "that's nothing but scuba gear, they're going diving." Not a word about batteries. We returned with basically the same packing regime. In CZM we were told of and shown a printed list of forbidden articles for carry-on at check-in. Batteries were listed. We decided to take our chances. Our bags were scanned and not a mention of batteries upon security scan. We continued on our journey home. I think some individuals may trigger scrutiny by their appearance, behavior or demeanor. Be smart, travel light and be polite.

Be smart, travel light and be polite.
Being that this is Mexico, has anyone tried bribing security to let their batteries through? When an authority figure hassles you in Mexico for no good reason, it's usually just a shakedown for a "mordida".

Back
Top Bottom