Adios Batteries, Meds and Cosmetics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We always leave our batteries at the dive shop. They need them for dive lights, and we don't need the weight on return. It's a few bucks, but why not. Ditto anything else we have extra. Many DMs at dive shops have to buy their own gear, and may need something you don't need anymore.
I remember a few years ago we took down 2 pair full-foot fins (hurt my feet) and a few masks and gave them to the dive shop to pass along to some local kids.

I remember a few years ago we took down 2 pair full-foot fins (hurt my feet) and a few masks and gave them to the dive shop to pass along to some local kids.
what a great idea. I have a duffel bag full of masks, snorkels, fins that just aren't used anymore. Now I know what to do with them.

Hey, I dont remember, how are the double A batteries and the C batteries priced at Mega? Is it even worth packing them when I can just buy them at Mega?

Interesting how things change. I was always under the impression that it's better to take hard-to-dispose of items like batteries back to the U.S. instead of leaving them behind to poison a small third-world island, but I suppose modern Cozumel now has a safe way to dispose of batteries?

I started a thread on this last Summer (I am sure a search will bring up the thread). While leaving Cozumel then I had a number of rechargeable batteries confiscated from my carry-on bag. Since I travel with a dive camera, two strobes, at least one focus light and the usual assortment of dive lights and other electronics, and since I try to use rechargeable batteries as much as possible, we are talking about something on the order of $100.00 worth of batteries.

The gate guys in Cozumel are not TSA, because Cozumel is not the USA. Sorry to state the obvious but some comments in this thread seem to suggest people may not realize this. Under ASUR rules (the security guys in Cozumel are ASUR employees) and TSA rules, passengers can carry batteries on carry-on bags. According to the placards and announcements at the Coz airport, batteries must be in carry-on and not checked bags. The problem is not the rules, the problem is arbitrary enforcement practices by the ASUR guards at the airport.

I have heard of this happening elsewhere as well but the bottom line is that you are likely to have any batteries confiscated at the airport in Cozumel. Whether your batteries get taken is simply a matter of chance, as there are no rules barring them. Perhaps all batteries are seized today but won't be tomorrow. I won't get into speculating why they do this, but they do, and arguing the rules with them makes no difference.

On my fast-approaching trip to Cozumel, I am simply taking disposable batteries as much as possible and will throw them into the trash when I pack to go home. Any unused batteries I will leave or give away. I am going to leave at home anything that takes the more "exotic" batteries like the 18560 Lithiums. I hate to put batteries into some landfill, but am not willing to have a bunch of expensive batteries confiscated and I gather Mexico doesn't care about dumping tons of batteries in landfills, since this is not a new problem and nothing has ever been done about it.

TSA says you should carry batteries only in carry-on and not checked bags (as does ASUR). This does not appear to be a "rule" per se, but I suspect you will invite problems by putting batteries in checked bags.

As to the plastic bag thing, the TSA and ASUR rules call for quart-sized bags. I have read on some frequent flyer forums about problems when trying to use gallon-sized bags. The rules say quart size bags and some people can get all kinds of crazy when you give them a TSA uniform. A gallon-sized bag is a threat to national security. Use quart-sized bags and take only things of 3oz or less. Yes, they may seize that 3.4oz item.

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311_brochure_bw.pdf

Hey, I dont remember, how are the double A batteries and the C batteries priced at Mega? Is it even worth packing them when I can just buy them at Mega?
I needed to pick up a few groceries today so I checked for you. A six pack of AAs was on sale for 51 pesos; regular price was 59 pesos. Two Cs were 57 pesos. You might do a few pesos better at Chedraui but I was not there today. It is cleaning lady day today so DH and I are off to the Moneybar beach for the afternoon!

Given how difficult it is to access the flight deck mid-flight (unless the pilot has to pee), you'd think the narcotic-free first-aid kit could be kept in the cabin instead. Would it be that hard to train a flight attendant how and when to administer epinephrine?

It might not just be about "training." American Airlines flight delayed after attendant  rants about crashing, Sept. 11 terrorist attacks  - NY Daily News

Maybe they don't want flight attendants to have unfettered access to needles and other sharp objects. :wink:

My wife likes to bring a bunch of stuff in a carry on, that I do not understand, cosmetics and medicine or medicinal items, included. I dont understand why someone would need their epi pen for a 4 hour flight out of winter...where are the bees coming from on our flight? A full line of mascaras etc, why, you dont need it, you will have your luggage again like 4 hours. I dont worry about bringing my razor or toothbrush, I will just buy them if I need them

Dr. Dog, let me help you out here. We bring these things in case we DON'T have our luggage in 4 hours. A razor and a toothbrush are infinitely more replaceable than an epi-pen or a special mascara. I've been places where I couldn't even get acceptable, non-scary tampons, much less my favorite lotion from Clinique or sunscreen that wouldn't burn my face.

Whatever. Viva la difference! Dude, I'm sure she's worth it.

Btw, on this last trip, as on most that I take, I had two clear plastic bags full of small lotions, etc in my carry-on, and one in my purse. No problems. I don't use the baggies anymore, but bought permanent ones from the Container store.

In December, we were told before check-in, that only 4 batteries were allowed in carry on baggage. They had us put the rest in our checked baggage.

I brought 4 in the charger and 4 in the strobe, 1 in the camera and 1 in the camera charger. cellphone and spare battery. Wires and such out the wazoo. They didn't bother me a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom