Additional measures beyond analyzing, labeling, and notox procedures to help prevent incorrect deco gas switches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a stupid video. Colored hoses? Regulator labels? Seriously? This is like a time warp back to the ridiculous nonsense on the old techdiver email list 20+ years ago.

This guy isn't qualified to teach tech diving. I feel sorry for his students.

If you care about reducing risk and dealing with human factors the number one thing you can do to reduce your risk is to dive with a team and apply CRM concepts
I wholeheartedly agree. I was prodding at the absolute insanity that is suggesting rebreather style HUD lights on deco gas regulators as a "solution" to solo diving gas switches. These people will keep digging the hole deeper and deeper, without realizing that the obvious answer - dive with a buddy - has been staring them in the face since day 1 of their open water course. I feel like I'm at the circus.

I imagine a depth gauge with two lights
  • zero lights = unit is off
  • one light = unit is on but the depth is outside the set limits
  • Two lights = unit is on and the depth is inside the set limits
Even in silty soup and mask off, you should be able to figure it out.
What happens when one or more of your lights/battery/electronics/wiring fails?

I wholeheartedly agree. I was prodding at the absolute insanity that is suggesting rebreather style HUD lights on deco gas regulators as a "solution" to solo diving gas switches. These people will keep digging the hole deeper and deeper, without realizing that the obvious answer - dive with a buddy - has been staring them in the face since day 1 of their open water course. I feel like I'm at the circus.

I know. I was doing the same.

I am a lazy, cheap hypocrite for sure.
We used to joke about "Sportechincal" and "techmix" diving. We still do, but we used to also.
Helium is so expensive on OC that the gear is a minuscule expense.
Helps tremendously to mix your own.

Given some recent technical diving deaths involving incorrect deco gas switches, the following video may be useful for some new technical divers. The most recent two are a technical diving instructor and a diver who attempted a deco gas switch while doing a deep air dive.

The video discusses additional measures beyond properly analyzing and labeling deco cylinders and following accepted gas switch procedures. These are extra measures that can be employed to minimize the possibility of an incorrect procedure in the event of an emergency or debilitated state such as narcosis.

Please stop making videos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom