Adding your own p-valve to new suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not for the faint of heart? Kills the warranty? Can result in the worst kind of leak?

I'm looking the option of a fully-stock suit, available immediately, or adding a p-valve, which increases delivery time by a month. My impulsive side says get the stock and worry about the p-valve later. My prudent side says let the factory do it right. Which is more compelling, and for what reasons?

It's not rocket science! Most p-valves come with instructions and pictures. It's so easy, a cave diver could do it!

Of course, if you've ever accidentally glued your hands together with super glue or are considered mechanically challenged, then perhaps you should have someone else do it.

Easy to install yourself. No need for a factory install and 1 month wait on the suit.

btw, what suit are you considering?

I installed mine (neo suit) while enroute to an evidence dive from a double shooting. Took about 3 minutes. Put a little teflon tape aroound the threads, burned hole with soldering iron. Really easy. Mark

Cool, glad to hear that. I'll get my Stanley 3-ring hole punch ready.

I'm currently looking at two options - DC, probably a Z-Tech if I fit the stock sizing, and the Whites Fusion. If I go with the Z-Tech, I'd probably want a second pocket installed as well...at some point it probably makes sense to let the factory handle all the changes, huh?

Cool, glad to hear that. I'll get my Stanley 3-ring hole punch ready.

I'm currently looking at two options - DC, probably a Z-Tech if I fit the stock sizing, and the Whites Fusion. If I go with the Z-Tech, I'd probably want a second pocket installed as well...at some point it probably makes sense to let the factory handle all the changes, huh?
I would suggest a professional install for the pockets. First choice would be to get them installed when they make the suit, second choice would be a third party, such as Superior Drysuit Repair. Last choice would be to do it yourself.

The reasoning is that the pockets stay on better if they are stitched and then sealed. I think most DIY pockets eventually fall off. I have seen a set of DIY pockets that did stay on, but the guy was insanely meticulous and the pocket was probably too scared to fall off.

Kills the warranty?

I can't imagine that if there was a legitimate warranty issue not related to the pee valve install, that any reputable manufacture wouldn't honor the warranty.

Make the hole cleanly and the rest is p*ss easy, so to speak...

Make the hole cleanly and the rest is p*ss easy, so to speak...

I'll put a small circle of jelly on the suit and throw the suit into my rabbit cage. That ought to do the job!

If you want nice but cheap valve PM Jason B. on TDS...he might be here as well. He sells unbalanced for $35. They are DIY but from what I have seen these are nice valves and at half the price of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom