Adding weight when using a backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The weight pouches that attach to your cam straps are nice - but I suggest you have some quick release weight on a weight belt or the dive rite quick release pouches. If you run a weight belt then have a think about your crotch strap and if that will make it harder or more complex to dump your weight belt. And if you're running an ally backplate then a steel plate will make you less buoyant.

When I started diving I immediately realized that I needed something other than a weight belt since my belly is larger than my butt. I bought a DUI harness and haven't looked back. Since I am leg heavy I have two three pound weights permanently bolted to my back plate and put the rest in the harness pockets.

I'm guessing that you are on a single as such there are 2 options toeasily add weight to a BP setup. The first is a weighted STA, I know Halcyon does one and it fits standard hole spacings that I would imagine would fit most BP's Halcyon Single Tank Adaptor by Halcyon (the image on the left) as you can just about see it is a piece of steel with lead bonded to it that fits inside the STA.

The second option is a "p" weight this goes between the BP and your back (or in your case lumber pad) and is held in by the wing nuts attaching the STA.
DIRZone P-Weight by DIRZone

This is obviously a UK site but I'm sure you can find a US dealer.

Minimalist, I have an option for you. I have a custom 10# SS plate that I'm not using. Let me know if you are interested.

Anybody know where I can get P Weight for my backplate in the US? I did a quick search online and what I am seeing is all in Europe.

Or maybe I can make one. I saw instructions on making one myself.
Clamp boards to top and bottom of channel on Backplate, line channel and wood with aluminum foil. Heat lead on camp stove in an aluminum saucepan. Melt lead and dump in channel. The instructions said that it was best to have small children assist in the last two steps.

That was a joke.

Then drill holes and mount.

Wonder where I can buy some lead locally?

Fire diver, thank you for the offer but I already have a stainless steel dive rite backplate.

XS Scuba's weight pocket is a reasonably looking alternative. It's available through most LDS and online. You'll need to add your own lead shot.

After you get comfortable in the water and with your new rig you'll be able to ditch most of that weight. With my Al backplate & steel tank I either don't need any weight, or up to four pounds, depending on other kit carried & salinity of the water.

Well, since you're using Dive Rite, why not just go with their Quick Buckle Weight System ... if all you need is 16 lbs, the smaller size would accommodate you for about $75.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Or maybe I can make one. I saw instructions on making one myself.
Clamp boards to top and bottom of channel on Backplate, line channel and wood with aluminum foil. Heat lead on camp stove in an aluminum saucepan. Melt lead and dump in channel. The instructions said that it was best to have small children assist in the last two steps.

That was a joke.

Then drill holes and mount.

Wonder where I can buy some lead locally?

Fire diver, thank you for the offer but I already have a stainless steel dive rite backplate.

The bit in bold is a joke the rest is true,I know people who have done it, roofers/builders merchant for the lead, some people end up collecting enough fishing weights from their dives to make them as well.

Back
Top Bottom