Adding weight when using a backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear Forum,
I am going to start using my new dive rite backplate and wing, but I will need to probably add around 16lbs of weight. I am used to renting a bcd and a lame dive belt with large yellow bullet weights.

I don't really like the weight on a belt. It is awkward. I would like it to be integrated into the backplate if possible.

And I don't think I want them dangling off of my harness either. I want to keep my harness clean. Is there some kind of bolt on weight system that can bolt onto the wing? Maybe 8lbs on each side? I have a lumbar pad for my backplate.

I don't understand why some people have ditchable weights. If I run out of air, shouldn't a person just swim to the surface? rather than rocketing to the surface when they become more boyant? I am always looking at my air gauge constantly, and plan on getting a small 3cf "spare air" just in case there is some kind of emergency.

Is there a weight system that will bolt to the bottom of my wing that has ditching handles, so I can reach around my sides and pull them if I need to? That would be the best of both worlds.

What do you recommend?

DSS has bolt on weights, but only for DSS backplates. I like mine on a belt, I have a xs scuba belt with pockets that velco, it holds the weights in pockets away from tour body so they don't dig in. This way the weight is still ditchable and if under the crotch strap it won't fall off by accident.

Recommend you get comfortable in the water. Running out of gas is a serious issue.

There are plenty of options for bolt on weight. Recommend you dive a steel cylinder. That'll take off 6-8 pounds of lead.

Spare Air doesn't really fall into your minimalist motif.

What's wrong with a weight belt? While it's possible to bolt on weights to your plate, it's very rarely done. It also doesn't allow for changes in exposure protection, tank used, etc. If you could pull something to ditch a plate weight, it could also snag and cause you to lose the weight as well, resulting in an unplanned surfacing.

As was said before, running out of air is a SERIOUS emergency. It you are doing that, you have a lot more to be thinking about than what type of weights you are using. A 3CF "spare death" is only good for a few breaths and will only result in running out of air twice in one dive. They were not designed to be used for diving, they were designed for aircrew and combat vehicle crewmembers to escape if they went into the water.

There are times when you may have the need to remove your scuba unit while at depth. If all your weight it is on the unit then once you release the unit you will be buoyant and the unit will probably want to sink. For this reason many of us use a harness or belt to make us closer to neutral without the scuba unit and any additional needed weight can then be added to the scuba unit with plates or pockets. I use a pair of pockets on the lower tank band.

As for ditchable weight the theory behind it is that it is better in a last resort emergency situation to end your dive on the surface with DCS and a chance for recovery then to drown and die. Granted it should never get to this point but ....

My opinion on ditchable weight is that it is entirely unnecessary in most cases. I can't think of a reason to ditch weight unless on the surface with a complete buoyancy failure and unable to maintain yourself there.

I use a DSS plate and I have the weight plate add on. I also use a steel tank. Even in my heaviest undergarment in my dry suit, I only have to use 10-12 pounds or so on a weight belt. Compare that to nearly 30 when I was wearing a BCD and aluminum tank. If your plate manufacturer doesn't have a compatible weight plate, I'm sure you can DIY something. For the weights I do use, I have an XS Scuba belt with pouches and soft weights. Its about as comfortable as a weight belt can be. It also allows me to remove and drop one weight at a time should I end up in that situation I can't think of and need to drop a little weight.

Skip that spare air. If you are serious about it, and have gone through all the considerations about a backup air supply, a pony bottle is much more realistic. I've done the thinking and the math and sling an AL19. That's the minimum I need to do an under stress ascent from the depths I dive at. 3cf is not going to help you much. Some air is better than none, but the time you spend fiddling with it to get that breath or two off of it would be better spent doing something else, IMHO.

If you want something that is not on a belt, but is ditchable, you could consider a DUI Weight&Trim harness. That's what my husband uses, and he likes it.

DSS makes bolt-on weight plates, but they only fit DSS backplates.

I use a BP/W and have a stainless back plate, single tank adapter and a steel 12 liter tank. As I am diving dry I have to add 16 lbs to a DUI Harness. I love this set up and the Pouches on the DUI harness are individually ditch able so I don't have to ditch all my weight at once.

Well Diverite makes the intergrated weight pouches. I recommend diving with a steel BP and a steel tank if you do not so already. I have a DSS rig and use no weight at all.

They also make little bags you could fill with weights and the clip the bags to the holes on your BP.

Many of our divers will customize their backplate by bolting on trim weight pockets to the plate. You can use any brand and they mount nicely, just by drilling a couple holes in the plate and through the pocket. With this method you can adjust the weighting if needed from dive to dive, plus you can remove the lead to make carrying the backplate a bit easier.

PM me if you'd like so photos and more information.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom