add ons to mask for better vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real trick with the stick on magnifiers is to let them completely dry after cleaning the glass and placing them where you want them. I let them dry for a week between my dives and never had a problem. If there is any moisture or air bubbles between the lens and the glass, water will get between them and the lens will seperate. I managed to take them off my old mask and sucessfully place them on the new one.

I admit I only need them to read the small print on my dive computer.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I've actually looked for them, and they seem to not be around. On the manufacturer's website, they mention that they are moving their manufacturing so that they are currently out of stock. Have you seen them start to be available again?

I see them in my local Walgreens all the time. Perhaps less available in Jerusalem, vs NJ?

I see them in my local Walgreens all the time. Perhaps less available in Jerusalem, vs NJ?

Maybe your Walgreens had a big stock. They are not on the Walgreen's website, and the note that I mentioned is on the manufacturers website and has been for a while.

But you're right, I didn't even bother looking for them here!

Maybe your Walgreens had a big stock. They are not on the Walgreen's website, and the note that I mentioned is on the manufacturers website and has been for a while.

But you're right, I didn't even bother looking for them here!

I have a new pair of +2.25 if you'd like them. I have no use for them any longer, so happy to throw them in an envelope and post them off to Israel. PM me if interested.

Just picked up a new Mares Xvision Mask. My LDS offers replacement lenses from Mares with either +1.5 or +2.0 magnifier attached. I went for a +1.5 on the left only since that's the side my console is on and my wrist watch. Seems to do the job and it cost less than a full on prescription mask.

As I get older, my eyes get worse. I have reading glasses now, and I find that when I dive I have a hard time reading my gauges. There is a product called Aqua DiveOptx Flexible Mask Magnifiers and I was wondering if anyone has any experience using them. I have heard they will come off the mask, but others say that is because they were not installed correctly. Those that have them work swear by them. Does anyone on this forum have experience with them? Or other suggestions, besides getting corrective lenses installed?

mag 4 masks have reading lenses in the bottom of the frame.

about $50 in the uk

The real trick with the stick on magnifiers is to let them completely dry after cleaning the glass and placing them where you want them.

Like Bob DBF and RJP, I just use the cheap stick-on lenses. Bob is right that you have to let them dry -- I use a paper towel to mop up any extra moisture after installing them. Also, sometimes they come a bit warped by the packaging; warm them in a cup of hot water for a couple minutes first (~180F) and they'll seat flat. Make sure the mask is very clean before installation. No glue, easy-peezy.

Really, the problem I've had is getting them off again or moving them into better positions.

Firstly, no US company appears able to supply the 2020 DiveOptx product - we've been able to get stock from ron@optxaustralasia.com
Seavenger has FedEx'd us an overall corrected mask for just $AUD 89 which took just 2 biz days from ordering!!! But the curve is inside surface so we'll bifocal stickon a spare mask to see whether panoramic or macro/gauge reader, or both is what she needs - :goingdown: standby for a report from Bali on usability. If the optom custom wasn't $500 this would all be much easier.

According to the Otpx website, manufacturing in the US is about to restart, with the retail channel restarting in December 2012. Good news for those (like me) who like the press-in plastic Optx readers and who get asked by other divers "how can I get those?"

Optx 20/20 - Enjoy Life's Little Details

And yes, buy them from a pharmacy instead of a dive shop if you want to save money.

I use the Sherwood Mag 4 and like it quite a bit. Built in readers on the bottom of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom