Add Dauin or more time in Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be staying a month in PG and have a few weeks extra to plan.
My first thought was splitting between Anilao and Dauin (necessitating a flight from Manila to DGT than DGT to Cebu for an international flight out of Cebu).
Or spending 7-12 days in Anilao and flying out of Manila.
I have dived a few days in Anilao so never got a good feel for it and have never dived Dauin. I love macro but do enjoy reefs and will have spent a good deal of time in PG.

Any thoughts?
I am a Philippine citizen but live in the US.
TIA

I have dived Puerto Galera, Anilao, Malapascua, Moalboal/Pescador, Dauin coast (including Apo Island) and Bohol, although none of them extensively. Between Anilao and Dauin, I believe Anilao is the clear winner. Apo Island is good, but Verde Island out of PG and Anilao reefs aren't any worse, and I've found muck diving in Anilao to be much superior to Dauin.

+1 for the above.

Why bother with all those back tracking and extra flight etc etc.
Anilao. But do ask about extra charges regarding diving because you could be the only diver around! All inclusive package is another alternative if available.

You can squeeze in couple of days in Subic to dive USS New York if it is not off-limited.

But do ask about extra charges regarding diving because you could be the only diver around!

I was at Mermaid Divers (Puerto Galera) and Blue Ribbon (Anilao) in late 2019 and wasn't ever charged extra for being the only diver, even on a 3-dive trip to Verde Island when it was just me, dive guide and boat driver. Night dives at Blue Ribbon were at the house reef when we didn't have two or more people, but that's about it.

No such problem in PG even you are the only diver but could be different story over the other side of the channel.
Ask first.

I have dived Puerto Galera, Anilao, Malapascua, Moalboal/Pescador, Dauin coast (including Apo Island) and Bohol, although none of them extensively. Between Anilao and Dauin, I believe Anilao is the clear winner. Apo Island is good, but Verde Island out of PG and Anilao reefs aren't any worse, and I've found muck diving in Anilao to be much superior to Dauin.
Good to know. I’ve heard raves about Dauin so was interested in checking in out...
I’ve been to everywhere else you mentioned so wasn’t planning on heading to any of those.

I’ve heard raves about Dauin so was interested in checking in out...
Anilao is better in terms of reef variety and nudibranchs, however in season it would be difficult to beat Dauin for frogfish and GPF, in April-May there are gazillions of 'em.
I'd rather think it's much more pleasant to stay in Dauin than Anilao for the southern visayan atmosphere, the countryside, the food and the islands around.
Anilao is a real bore in these matters.

Anilao is better in terms of reef variety and nudibranchs, however in season it would be difficult to beat Dauin for frogfish and GPF, in April-May there are gazillions of 'em.
I'd rather think it's much more pleasant to stay in Dauin than Anilao for the southern visayan atmosphere, the countryside, the food and the islands around.
Anilao is a real bore in these matters.
Any opinions on staying at Pura Vida vs Liquid? Azure doesn’t seem to be open outside the weekends.
And as of now, guests are supposed to stay on hotel grounds. So no trips to town. That may change in May...

@GirlonFire

Wait a minute. I thought the Philippines were still barring travel from overseas except for nationals.

Are you sneaking in?

Any opinions on staying at Pura Vida vs Liquid? Azure doesn’t seem to be open outside the weekends.
And as of now, guests are supposed to stay on hotel grounds. So no trips to town. That may change in May...

I stayed at Liquid in March last year, up to a few days before Philippine borders closed. The bungalows were good, food was okay but nothing special, diving was well organized, but there is no house reef - I was told that the area in front of the resort has severe currents; have to ride a truck to get to any dive sites. Aside from diving, I haven't left the resort during the time I was there. Can't offer any opinion on Pura Vida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom