Add buoyancy to Jetfins?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munselln8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, Here is a crazy idea...or is it?
When diving my SP Jetfins (Size L) I have mixed trim issues. 1) the Jetfins ALWAYS pull me foot down. Now, when wearing a 5 or 7 mm suit I can move some weight up top and counter it...mostly. But, the other day I was diving suitless with no booties and I was a complete foot-rock! The Jetfins stood me straight up. next dive I was again suitless but used my 7mm booties to counteract the negative SP's. Again, foot down, better but still foot heavy. Bear in mind that I was not wearing any weight except my 6lb steel BP (which BTW still overweighted me as a whole) so I couldn't shift weight around. So, that was when this idea hit me: What about glueing a piece of 5 mm neoprene to the top (& / or bottom) of the footpocket, to add some buoyancy. I feel like I could make them practically neutral.....Is this crazy? Should I just buy OMS Slipstreams? Or is it "all in my technique" (i.e. should I simply pull my ankles to my butt and it's all fixed)? thoughts?
Some extra data:
I am about 170lbs @ 12-14% body fat. 160 lbs @ 9-10%
I work out alot, so have a lot of muscle mass. But my chest is more muscular than my legs...
My legs are the LAST place I gain body fat, so I am somehwat foot heavy anyway, but before I bought the SP's I was just slightly head down at neutral bouoyancy.

My lower body is fairly muscular and boney, my large feet are extremely negative and coupled with the 4lbs. of each Jet fin were not a good match for me. I wore 7mm booties even in warm water diving to counteract my XXL Jet fins weight and after a few years of diving Jets I finally gave up on them bought a pair of F1s and put the Jets up for sale!

Ron and LowViz,
Thanks for the comments. It sounds like I have heard the voices of wisdom. I will be pricing a pair of OMS slipstreams....Hopefully I will find a good price :)
Thanks for the advice!

---------- Post Merged on August 6th, 2012 at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 5th, 2012 at 09:48 PM ----------

Well, I went ahead and paid retail (Leisure pro) for the Slipstreams because they have the "pressure free fit" guarantee. Hopefully they arroive in time for the weekend :)

Got the slipstreams yesterday. The difference in weight is VERY OBVIOUS. Also, and this will sound silly, but: Something I wondered about with the Jetfins....Why the hell didn't they put a drain hole or two in the foot pocket? When I am climbing the ladder to the boat, with the fins hanging on my forearm the footpocket fills with water and adds about 4 lbs to the load I have to pull out of the drink! I chuckled when I saw that the slipstream has two small drain holes in the bottom of the footpocket :) I will dive them this weekend at Gilboa :)

I tinkered with drilling holes on the bottom of my Jets, but what kept me from doing that was the fact that I knew I'd probably sell them once I found a better solution.

I say this with complete tongue in cheek, but you could try putting camera float straps on your ankles? :D

... Also, and this will sound silly, but: Something I wondered about with the Jetfins....Why the hell didn't they put a drain hole or two in the foot pocket? ...

The benefit of no holes, is that you can carry water in your fin pockets from the spring to your truck and use the water to then rinse off the mud/sand from your turbosoles or rockboots.

True story, I once used the pockets of my Jet fins full of water to put out a forest fire over the everglades! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom