Adapting an adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NineGill

Reaction score
If I buy a DIN regulator with a yoke adapter, and then I purchase a PST tank with a DIN valve and a yoke insert, what would happen if I used both adapters together? Not that I would normally do something like that, but if I were to use that configuration, would it be safe? Would it be good up to the rated pressure (3442 psi)?

Also, do you have to put the yoke insert in the tank valve to have it filled at your average scuba shop, or do most carry DIN adapters? And does the average scuba shop have the capability of filling the tank all the way up (3442 psi)?

It's not the smartest thing to do but it will work no problem. Most dive shops can fill your tank no matter if there DIN or Yoke or even if they're HP tanks. As far as getting a good fill I'd recommend dropping off your tank and picking it up later it's just that they heat up so much its hard to avoid.

Alex

I don't know why you would use that configuration but yes it would work. As for the compatability, 90% of yoke regs are rated to 230-232 bar (3300 or so psi). As for your PST tank that is rated to 3442 psi, you would want to use a 300 bar (4300 or so psi) connection. Oceanic is one of the Exceptions. They have a 3500 psi yoke. Again since you have the more reliable, lower profile, captured o-ring connection just use it. If you are that worried about the shops compatability, ask. As for fills, Wipe must fill alot of tanks as he is right. Drop it off as the HP tanks are difficult to fill without a top up required later.

Dave Laws:
If I buy a DIN regulator with a yoke adapter, and then I purchase a PST tank with a DIN valve and a yoke insert, what would happen if I used both adapters together? Not that I would normally do something like that, but if I were to use that configuration, would it be safe? Would it be good up to the rated pressure (3442 psi)?

Also, do you have to put the yoke insert in the tank valve to have it filled at your average scuba shop, or do most carry DIN adapters? And does the average scuba shop have the capability of filling the tank all the way up (3442 psi)?

Hi Dave

I have 4 E7-80 and love them to death so does my not too tall wife.

With the adapter in the tank you have a standard yoke connection, There's just an extra DIN O-ring seal living it there and that's very reliable. Assuming the yoke item is rated for 230 BAR you're all set. Of course you are compounding the failure rate of each connection however small so it's not a good idea. Not to mention depending on your exact first stage and and adpater it becomes an overhung load and suscptible to damage or poking you in the head.

The "average" shop does have the capacity to go to 3442. It's only 442 above the more common 3000 and most bank gas well above 3000. Not all shops have the finesse or patience to do it right.

My shops starts with a slow fill working his way into his banks as each one hits equilibrium. When the tanks starts to warm up he sets them in a barrel of water to help absorb some of the heat. Eventually he gets it up to "a" pressure and leaves them on the whip for a while. When checked at home a few hours latter they're perect fills. If you can leave the tank you can at least request a top-off before leaving. Many shops play dumb. Don't be bashfull about checking and making sure they at least hit 3442 hot!

There is some controversy asscoiated with tank quenching. The tranks get warm, not hot and he's very careful to keep all connections dry.

One shop called it good at 3000 on a fast hot fill! I caught him and asked him to finish the fill. He said he'd need 20 minutes to pump up some of his banks. I said that's OK because it means a good part of that time as bottom time on my next dive!

Most do have DIN adapters but I usually wind mine in so I know nobody got a gritty fitting into my valves. They may not have as many adapters as I have tanks and they have whips so this way it's covered. I keep a 5mm allen wrench in a ziplock in my toolbox with the donuts, it just takes a second, just snug them in lightly. Every fill whip I've seen around here is a yoke. I'm sure it's different elsewhere.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom