Adapter for a Shrimp BOV...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Dil MAV with a QC4 on it. I'm sure I can attach the QC6 to it and then split one of the hoses. Maybe a MAV with three ports, instead of two would resolve all this.

QC4 doesn't have high enough flow rate, that's why everyone uses QC6's. So you'll be limited by whatever the lowest flow rate component is. Ergo, if your offboard feed into your MAV to your BOV is a QC4, you'll be limited to the QC4's flow rate regardless of what you put on the BOV side. ISC used to use QC4's on the O2 inlet on the Meg head because it doesn't need to be a high flow adapter. They've since quit doing that for other reasons.

The OmniSwivel QD is smaller and lighter and since it will be hooked up on the surface, it doesn't need check valves, etc. It also has a flow rate adequate for a deep bailout.

OmniSwivel Quick Disconnect Female w/ 9/16-18 Male, 9/16-18 Female to Male QD, 2pcs | Dive Gear Express®

Put this on your BOV and keep the QC6 bits for the tank connection. Some guys plumb the female QC6 into a switch block and put the male on the bottle side so they can plumb in travel bailout or deep bailout without ever having to disconnect a bailout source. That's probably why your QC6 has male threads on it. female My setup is a little different, in your case it would require getting female LP 1st stage threads on your QC6 female and male LP 2nd stage threads on the male side. Alternatively, you could get a female to female adapter and not have to switch out your hardware. You could probably find the right part at Ace.

Mea Culpa... "attach" should have read "replace". I wouldn't use both. I'm thinking changing to the QC6 on the dil would also prevent me accidentally attaching O2 to the dil side.

My mav currently has two hoses coming off of it. as well as a QC4. The feed hose has an inline shut off valve, the hose going to the rebreather and the QC4. I want to replace the QC4 with the QC6, and add another hose before the shut off valve.

I connect my bailout gas to the BOV on my rEvo using the Omni Swivel connector, works well, the QC6 is just too bulky for that purpose.

Do you want your BOV plumbed to that same DIL source? There are pros and cons but since it is bailout you might consider plumbing it to your bailout tank and not your dil tank.

My BOV is plumbed into both dil and off board bailout using a Y connector and QC6 to connect in the off board, and use difference in IP between on board and off board (on board higher off board lower) to determine which gas flows to the BOV first.

My BOV is plumbed into both dil and off board bailout using a Y connector
Pics please!!!

Follow up. I'm back from blowing bubbles in the Philippines Wonderful trip, but I really wish I had my SF2 with me. I still haven't completely synched back to EST, so I've been up early today and starting to play. I don't want to disable my current set-up until I have this figured out. I'll be taking pictures myself but for right now, I have another problem. Ballast rings. The ones that were sent with my Cooper hoses have a 39mm ID (1.5") and a 50mm OD. No matter how I try, I can't get them on these hoses! The outer part of the hose before the ridges is 45mm (1.75 ") and that seems to be a more reasonable size. So simply order some more, right? Wrong. I can't seem to get a good lead on who sells these. Any ideas? Any links??? I'm at your mercy.

Net Doc here is a picture of my setup. There was a great presentation by Dave Sutton explaining this concept on Youtube but after a bit of searching could not find it. The method has also been discussed on Rebreather World and CCR X so might be worth a search.

Basically this allows both on board and off board dil and bailout to be plumed into the BOV, and the gas will feed from the source with the highest IP. The Swagelok tap will shut off the dil supply if needed and gas will flow from the off board to the BOV etc. I used the Swagelok quarter turn tap as opposed to a slid shut off as it easier feel if the gas is on or off as it is difficult to see when geared up.

As with all things there is plenty of discussion on the merits, pros, cons of this and other methods of plumbing in gas to the BOV, but I find this works well for me and the rEvo.

Net Doc here is a picture of my setup. There was a great presentation by Dave Sutton explaining this concept on Youtube but after a bit of searching could not find it. The method has also been discussed on Rebreather World and CCR X so might be worth a search.

Basically this allows both on board and off board dil and bailout to be plumed into the BOV, and the gas will feed from the source with the highest IP. The Swagelok tap will shut off the dil supply if needed and gas will flow from the off board to the BOV etc. I used the Swagelok quarter turn tap as opposed to a slid shut off as it easier feel if the gas is on or off as it is difficult to see when geared up.

As with all things there is plenty of discussion on the merits, pros, cons of this and other methods of plumbing in gas to the BOV, but I find this works well for me and the rEvo.

Thanks... that inspired me.

That's interesting. I haven't seen anybody use a QC6 at the BOV
That held true here after all was done. I went with GolemGear's Quick Disconnect instead.

upload_2016-7-12_16-30-29.png

upload_2016-7-12_16-31-2.png

upload_2016-7-12_16-31-29.png

The Quick Disconnects for the BOV and the OffBoard Dill are the same. I went with a check valve nipple for the Offboard Dill but not on the BOV. I'm going to have to back track as the 7/16" straght pipe thread adapter is fairly restricted and I need to drill it out to be the same as the rest. Not a big deal, but I wish I had found something that worked without having to screw with it. I'm also going to adjust the IP on the 3L regulator to 135 and make sure the BailOut/Offboard Dil is at 145.

So why two quick disconnects? Just in case. I can plug straight from my Bailout into the BOV's reg should I sprout a leak. While I like the convenience of going through the offboard dill valve, I can still bail to simple in a heartbeat.

One final thing... I have to change the mouthpiece to a semi custom one.

Hey Netdoc can I ask how many hoses you have on the Dil Mav side? You seem to have two going into the top of the Mav per normal, then two exiting the two port manifold plus the spg, which makes 5 in total is that correct? I have been looking to do something similar but the number of hoses seemed excessive, but I couldn't think of any other way to do it.

Cheers
Larry

Back
Top Bottom