Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My brother's an instructor, been telling me for probably the last ten years that I need to try scuba diving, we finally put it together last year.

Started my Open Water certification on my 63rd birthday October 2022 in Roatan. Logbook says I did my first three confined water dives and some of my Waterskills Assessment that day. It was a "happy birthday".

FInished OW and Nitrox certifications, went home with 27 dives in my logbook. Went back this past October, (2023), and did another 53 dives, obtaining my AOW in the process.

I live outside Savannah, Georgia - I just bought a wet suit and am looking at diving sites in Florida.

57, new diver, warm water only :wink:
Welcome.. Guess you won't be diving till spring.. LOL
Water is cold 'round these parts!

77 YO - Got the first mask and fins at the age of five. Started with bottles in 1971 and got a two stars istructor certification in 1993. Refrained from diving for more than ten years. Then, at retirement age, bought a RIB and started diving all the year around, scoring abt 30 dives per year, mostly technical.
I made up my mind to remain OC (although helium costs too much), without switching to rebreathers at my age.
Today scuba diving is my main interest.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
Just turned 54, wife 52

We try to keep average 2-3 annual Safaris, and diving weekends every 3-4 weeks.

Over the years both of us lost interest in tech diving and eventually drifted back to regular open water dives. We try to extend surface intervals to 2.5-3 hours, and if we feel skipping a dive it's okay- after thousands of them one more or one less is just the same.

Also, we dive almost Nitrox 36% and stay in the 20-25 meters depth, unless there is something really worth going deeper. I try to avoid getting close to NDL limits, typically start ascending to shallower depths at 10min from NDL, don't mind staying at 6-10meters for long periods. Many of our dives are thus ~90 min on single tank in the summer, less so in the winter.

I also choose safari destinations based on water temperature, just because I hate donning and doffing thick wetsuits, so I prefer destinations with temperatures>24 degrees Celsius if possible.

Some of the dives we do sidemount with AL10 cylinders, because it ia actually easier to move around and carry the gear, and last addition to our gear set is a couple of Seacraft GO DPV which makes the dives even easier.

I guess the major change over the years is that I became lazy and prefer easier, more relaxed diving, less carrying, less weights, minimal gear, warm temperatures.

Just turned 54, wife 52

We try to keep average 2-3 annual Safaris, and diving weekends every 3-4 weeks.

Over the years both of us lost interest in tech diving and eventually drifted back to regular open water dives. We try to extend surface intervals to 2.5-3 hours, and if we feel skipping a dive it's okay- after thousands of them one more or one less is just the same.

Also, we dive almost Nitrox 36% and stay in the 20-25 meters depth, unless there is something really worth going deeper. I try to avoid getting close to NDL limits, typically start ascending to shallower depths at 10min from NDL, don't mind staying at 6-10meters for long periods. Many of our dives are thus ~90 min on single tank in the summer, less so in the winter.

I also choose safari destinations based on water temperature, just because I hate donning and doffing thick wetsuits, so I prefer destinations with temperatures>24 degrees Celsius if possible.

Some of the dives we do sidemount with AL10 cylinders, because it ia actually easier to move around and carry the gear, and last addition to our gear set is a couple of Seacraft GO DPV which makes the dives even easier.

I guess the major change over the years is that I became lazy and prefer easier, more relaxed diving, less carrying, less weights, minimal gear, warm temperatures.
….sounds like something that I would consider at my age.🙂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom