Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73, certified about 1978 by NASDS. Active diving in Puget Sound and the Northwest through 1985. Laid out for 35 years, recertified via SSI in 2023 for opportunity to dive in warmer water on vacations and when traveling. I live in Colorado where good diving requires travel.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
51. Been diving 36 years and try and get in the water once to twice a week. Mostly shore dives for fun in Hawaii.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
The average age of a subscriber to Undercurrent, the private guide for serious divers, is 57

I dove as a faculty member at the University of South Florida for well over 20 years. My last dive was at age 67 when I began planning for my retirement and could not take on any new students and thus no need to do field work. My work was all deep rebreather based cave diving along the west coast of Florida. I have friends older than me (I'm 70 now) who are still cave diving.

I took my original diving course in 1974 in California, and didn't dive again until I moved to Florida where I was certified in 1998 so was 42. I dove from research vessels but became interested in sinks and caves and began my journey through technical, cave, rebreather and mixed gas diving soon after. So I dove for 25 years.

69 here...I've become that inactive diver. Haven't been diving in 7 years so that puts my last dives at 62. Was in the Bahamas the year before in Key West. Retiring from diving.

69 here...I've become that inactive diver. Haven't been diving in 7 years so that puts my last dives at 62. Was in the Bahamas the year before in Key West. Retiring from diving.
@ShelbyR,

A lot of fun can be had--or rediscoverd--by getting back to basic, simple, minimal gear and diving local. Conservative, recreational dives. With or without a buddy. FWIW.

rx7diver

WOW, I reckon we all get there at some time or another. My dives have self-imposed limitations as my legs aren’t as good as they used to be. ….still like makin’ bubbles, though and getting ‘looks’ from others…😀💦

Back
Top Bottom