Acrylic or gel fingernails ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeahorseDeb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally succumbed to artificial fingernails since I don't take care of my own, I just don't like fussing with them. Got a little embarrassed at work that 150 people who see my hands daily might think I do manual labor at home. I digress, which is better acrylic or gel? I read other threads, any updates to this? I thought acrylic were best for water, I wear wet gloves.......:blinking:

Either if applied properly. Gel looks & feels more natural if it's done right. Neither if you have lifting problems.

It depends on how much you are in the water. Fungus can develop under acrylic nails. I've had this happen years ago. I've had better luck with gel, but haven't bothered with it in the last year. I'd love a good pedi with gel got the summer!

During my season May-October, I'd like to be in the water every weekend but twice monthly is certain. I have dry gloves but I just feel to encumbered with them.

I prefer shellac or OPI gel polish. Toenails will make it for up to a month of diving, as I wesr booties. Fingernails, it's a bit of a crap shoot as it depends on how well applied. Ordinarily can make it a week with no incident, by the end of two weeks, one or two nails might be showing some wear and tear but not from the diving . . .from the doing. :) Three weeks and they'll start looking bad to others besides just to me, assuming anyone cares.

I'll qualify all this by saying the polish on my fingernails is almost a clear coat, a very natural look. Perhaps that is why the wear and tear doesn't look so obvious earlier. As for toenails, nothing other than a bright color will do. :wink:

I get a French gel overlay done (no extra parts, just the gel on my natural length nails). It generally holds up to two tanks a day for my two week holiday, as long as I take some care when handling gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I the only person who has to chop her nails off before diving so I can get a good grip on my wetsuit? My nails all broke on my first dive pulling the damned thing on.

Lol no you aren't. I wear my nails shorter before heading out on my trips but the shellac and/or gel polish makes them stronger. On my last trip I managed to partially separate one fingernail from the nail bed. That was uncomfortable but the polish held up. Hee hee

I smashed a nail a while back, and as it was growing out, the end part of it fell off -- right before a dive trip. I went and had an acrylic overlay done to protect the soft part, but it didn't last well in the water at all. I think I got four or five days out of it before it came off.

Between horses and diving, I gave up on long fingernails a long time ago. They're bad for dry suit seals, too.

I agree, mine are not long.
The French gel just keeps them pretty, and a little stronger. The nail does not extend past the end of the finger.
I am in IT and digging around in computer hardware and wiring closets just doesn't allow for long nails either, but that doesn't mean they can't look pretty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom